IGNORED

StreetPilot "voice" tied into factory speakers

ChrisRappl

My R1200RT is coming with the factory radio. I will be adding a Garmin StreetPilot 2720 and Valentine One. I know that there are electronic geniuses monitoring this board and I could use your help. I would like to set the StreetPilot up so that its voice comes through the radio amp and out the factory speakers. If possible, I would like to do the same with the Valentine One, although this is not as important to me. Has anyone done this? Is the BMW Navigator 2 set up this way? Can anyone guide me through the process. It would be worth dinner out at the next rally or?

I had set up an SPIII to speak through my R1150RT speakers via an AUX connection in a third-party radio. Not sure of the dynamics of the radio system on board the R12RT, but you'd need some kind of input access, and then probably a mixer to integrate the two signals (V1 and GPS) into one stream that is ported to the radio.

It's do-able, but you're held hostage by the inner workings of the bike radio.

Matt,

Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping that the factory setup has the Nav 2 connected through the radio. If so, there must be an aux connection. I think you're right about needing some type of mixer if I want more than one input.

I had this idea, but then realized you probably want to listen to the radio AND hear the GPS at the same time, right?

Prior to that, I was wondering if an FM transmitter, like the ones used to broadcast iPods or MP3 players to a car radio, would do what you want?

Not even sure how this would work on a "regular" (or BMW) radio, unless the radio does have additional inputs and a mixer to handle the aux and the internal...

Neat idea though.

Eric

John Bentall

The reason my many on this board use Autocom, Starcom or other intercom units is

1)that when running with the sceen down it becomes difficult to hear the bike speakers - it nice to have sound piped directly to the helmet.

2)the intercom unit cuts the music so that the GPS voice output (& cellphone, other riders using FRS) can be heard clearly.

Autocom have been producing harnesses that link into the BMW radios for a long time (it's 5 years since I first started using them)

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll listen to the speakers at speed and make a final decision. I've never had a radio or intercom and was hoping to keep it as simple as possible.

Archived