IGNORED

I need a jacket for when it is "Muther F'in Hot" outside

kingpinofdisks

kingpinofdisks

Basically, I need a real jacket that stays really cool in the summertime, white colored (to absorb minimal heat from the sun), lots of mesh for wind flow, but lots of protection. Something that can keep upper torso skin intact during a freeway spill.

Since I ride an 1150rt (I don't get much wind to start), I figured it had to be mostly mesh, with front & rear armor pieces, shoulder & elbow armor, and the good impact armor, not the crappy foam pads. Mesh that can withstand sliding on the freeway.

Any thoughts as to brands/styles? I have not even tried looking yet, cuz I figure your ideas will form the basis of my google searching.

Thanks.

I just crashed on my mountain bike - in addition to all the bruises and swollen parts, I have 4 spots on my body that flare into amazing amounts of pain over the slightest breeze. Of course, these same spots ooze enough to stick to any non-stick-bandage (the ooze is like superglu). The military calls this a "Win-Win" situation, right? To top it off, the pain gets worse because the crash is my own fault. Somehow, that makes it sting even worse. Even thru the Vicodin the ER doctor prescribed.

My best th ought is a Rev-It Mesh jacket. I have one and love it. In 100+ degree's this year, (naked bike) it did its job pretty well.

Savanna 2 jacket. Not exactly mesh, but then again, I don't think any true mesh jacket has optimum protection. The Savanna breathes completely and I wore it on 90º+ (some days were damn near 100º) with high humidity in Illinois. Plus, it has great shoulder, elbow/forearm and back armor. When it was "muther f'in hot", I simply would soak a t-shirt in cold water with ice five minutes prior to my departure and then put it on under the Savanna jacket. Once riding, the vents in the sleeves and front/back torso let enough air in to keep the t-shirt cool and I never had an uncomfortable day riding this summer between July-August when we had some scorchers. There were a few days with this setup where I would pass a bank that would have 98º displayed and I surprisingly thought, "Hmmmm, doesn't feel that hot." I'm sure there is other comparable gear out there, but I loved this jacket this summer. And this is coming from someone who didn't ride too much last summer because I was using a leather jacket which was not only heavy, but would make it unbearable in the 90º+ heat.

Expensive, yes. Protective, yes. Cool (relatively--how cool can 90-100º be??) in the summer months while also offering protection, definitely.

ShovelStrokeEd

Based on 3 years of AirFlow riding, I'd say get the BMW Venting Machine stuff. South Florida is always that hot, except when its hotter and that's the best I have found.

I can relate to the need for a summer jacket here in SoCal. I just picked up a Fieldsheer Titanium Air - mesh jacket with full CE armour. I wear a 15.5 x33 shirt and a Large size its well. It is a welcome addition, very comfortable in the hot weather.

PM if you want more info.

Happy Ridin' thumbsup.gif

I tend to be the practical poor guy here. The Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket is mesh with full body armor for about $125. It allows me the option of wearing a cooling vest under it. South Carolina gets pretty hot & this jacket had been keeping me cool for about 3 years.

ClearwaterBMW

i have the Marsee mesh jacket and really like it. i know it's a compromise in safety, however, and often struggle with that fact as i ride at speed.

they don't make the one i have anymore.... the news ones are nicer/they probably realized the one they sold me isn't safe

confused.gif

greg

I use BMW Venting Machine - excellent results. My comments on it are:

1. Protection looks very good - the mesh is Polyamide, many other jackets are some cordura/leather but the mesh is standard nylon. The VM has CE protectors on shoulders, elbows and back (not all have back pads and even fewer have CE approved).

2. Very good flow of air - the mesh pattern is something else. You can't see what's be worn under it but you can pick it up and see through it from the inside.

4. Comfortable to wear - mesh may be tough but it doesn't itch or pull.

5. Slight minus - European fit, not sure if that's a minus for the suit or my shape

6. Fairly warm at a standstill - the dark color can pick up heat.

7. Cost - yes, it really smacks the wallet.

8. Good style - very smooth outside appearance. I noticed something odd after wearing it all summer then switching to my Joe Rocket Alter Ego for a ride; I felt a more wind buffet and possibly more noise with the Ego. I've heard that helmet noise is related to the wind flow at the base of the helmet - I wonder if the VM has a smoother air flow than some other designs.

Overall, I'm very happy with the VM. My immediate next choice would have been a Rev'It jacket.

I recently purchased a Venting Machine suit and will add my comments to the others:

The VM flows air extremely well, is very comfortable and relatively light weight yet appears to be quite sturdy and protective, especially the back protector pad.

If you opt to go with the pants as well and plan to add the optional hip/thigh pads to the pants, be sure you fit the pants with hip/thigh pads installed and test the fit on your motorcycle in all manner of riding positions.

With the optional hip & thigh pads installed, the pants really don’t flow air that well since the knee, hip and thigh pads pretty much cover the entire the leg.

The VM is only available in regular sizes – no short or long sizes.

I'd echo Eds recommendation. I have the Venting Machine Pants and Jacket and I found them to be about as good as it gets. Not cheap, but worth every penny.

Hi,

I use a Firstgear leather meshtex jacket,many suggest replacing the stock soft foam armour with Firstgears corecomp armour.Can sometimes be found online for around $100-125.

Newenough.com has the regular meshtex jacket on sale for $108 now,get a silver one!

Wear a coolmax or similar wicking layer next to you skin.

Also consider getting Cee Baileys summer sports windscreen.Looks like it will give you a good deal more airflow.

JR356

Red K12RS

ATGATT is a completely new concept to me!

I had previously never even owned a helmet.

Working on a tight budget I purchased a Joe Rocket Rio mesh jacket, they are a cheap company from what I read.

If I get a few summers out of it that will be fine.

JRRio.jpg

My thinking was for $80.00 the protection it affords has got to be better that a T shirt in the hot TX weather.

I have worn it for a month now in the upper 90's and found it to be as comfortable as one can be in that temperature frown.gif

It looks kinda like a Ninja Turtle suit,but with my full face helmet no one can see who I am. grin.gif

I bought it here:

New Enough

Now If I could find someone with a used trashed XL-XXL Aerostich / Fieldsheer for cheap..I'd be all set grin.gif

John Dickens

Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket and trousers for me. CE approved armour and plenty of airflow. Worked well for me in Spain this year.

The jacket comes with a wind and waterproof liner for cooler evenings.

Well you can go top of the $ or mid range $. My suggestion would be to get yourself a good quality mid-range mesh jacket....we like First Gear with upgraded armor....and put it in combo with a wet vest and you're good to go. There's a bunch of people who make evaporative vests...you can do a search as there's been lots of discussion and reviews.

I've found this combo is the only thing that works when it's "Muther F'in Hot" thumbsup.gif

My suggestion would be to get yourself a good quality mid-range mesh jacket.......and put it in combo with a wet vest and you're good to go. There's a bunch of people who make evaporative vests...you can do a search as there's been lots of discussion and reviews.

thumbsup.gif

What he said thumbsup.gif I use that combo a lot. But if it's even hottern' that (as it often is here in the desert), I'll go wet vest under gore-tex with sleeves and vents open just a bit. The mesh sometimes offers too much hot air blasting thru.

I have a Fieldsheer Mach 3 Polytitanium.

It's about as breathable as you can get while retaining durability and protection.

I'm up here in Sacramento. So you know we get to 115 degrees on the street.

The only minus is that the elbow pads are not as secure as I would like. I am sure that they would twist on impact.

Given the construction and elasticity of mesh jackets though, I suspect that they would all twist in some manner.

I'been wearing a Joe Rocket Riot jacket.External hard plastic elbow, shoulder,and back protector.Built in kidney belt.Great ventilation and so much plastic I don't worry too much about the mesh holding up.$125. My other jacket is a motoport kevlar w/ce foam armor.Also a great jacket, but the impact protection is better on the Riot.

Another vote for Venting Machine. It's stiff compared to my FirstGear mesh but very comfortable, great cooling, and feels much more protective. Big difference in price but I don't regret upgrading.

Archived