IGNORED

Starcom and CB

Aluminum_Butt

After much review and consideration, I finally decided to try a Starcom. It was half the price of an similarly-equipped Autocom, and had very few bad reviews. I've got it setup in my tankbag temporarily while fine-tuning things, and so far, I'm quite pleased. The auto volume logic is excellent - the relative volume stays very constant regardless of noise in the helmet. The music quality is good - certainly as good as the noisy helmet environment will allow.

I already had a Cobra handheld CB that I intend(ed) to use with the Starcom. In receive mode it works fine. When I key to transmit, though, it creates a squeal in the headset - kind of like feedback from a PA system. It seems like the transmit power of the CB is wreaking havoc with the Starcom internals. Standing next to the bike and just playing around, if I move the CB and/or shield it from the Starcom with my body, I can change or eliminate the sound.

I asked Starcom, and Tony recommended a Midland radio. I'd happily make that investment if it will really solve the problem. But, since I think it's really a CB power/transmit issue, I'm not sure it would fix anything.

So, the questions: Does anybody use a handheld CB with a Starcom and have good results? If I could come up with some sort of grounded shielding to go around the Starcom, would that help?

TIA!

I have no experience with Starcom, but lots of experience with Autocom, so I'm going to assume (dangerous word, I know) the situations are similar because the symptoms are similar. Therefore,. . .

. . .neither are specifically designed to work with CB and thus are not shielded from CB's powerful RF. IIRC, CB is ancient AM technology and is nowhere near as refined as FRS or GMRS. Kind of like putting a blown hemi in the family tractor. Yup, it'll plow the north forty, but at what damage to the surrounds?

Still, I've seen some excellent and successful Autocom/CB installations using the Autocom-recommended (if you must) Cobra 38 handheld CB. The secret is trial and error, primarily as it involves positioning of the various components and routing of the wires. In one extreme case, specific shielding was needed, including shielding the master intercom box inside of a grounded metal box and shielding of cables inside of grounded braided tubing. But this was only in one extreme case. Most of the time it's a lot easier than that.

With careful positioning of components, some patience, and a 100-pc bag of medium-size zipties (many of which are going to get used once, cut, and end up on the floor), you should be able to achieve acceptable results.

Aluminum_Butt
specific shielding was needed, including shielding the master intercom box inside of a grounded metal box

What type of metal is best for blocking RF? Aluminum boxes are easy to come by - will that work? Does thickness matter?

I'm not sure. I saw it, but didn't do it myself. I believe aluminum will work. Perhaps a "project box" from a local electronics supply house or a Radio Shack. However, I think this should be a last resort. I've seen several successful installations that simply were the results of trial and error. Patience won out. I'd leave the metal box out of it until you've tried everything else.

Archived