IGNORED

Yammie GS.....is it for you???

Whip

I agree to an extent. I'd love a 650-800cc bike.......for riding solo, commuting, and light weekend trips.

I'm waiting to see what the new Triumph off-roader really looks like and handles like, before I put a *lust* sticker on any of the new bikes. The Triumph looks more in line with what I want a lighter 800 cc bike.

Wayne

Keith,

There is a couple over on the ADV forum that tour together on a Wee, and it looks like they have a ton of fun with it. Is your problem with the bike due to your height?

Partially yes. I'm 6'2" with broad shoulders, long arms, and a 34" inseam. The last time I got fitted for a suit, they had to give me a jacket to fit my shoulders/arms, and then promptly had to cut 8" out of the mid-section. I realize I'm not the jolly green giant, but I can easily flatfoot my RT with the seat in the highest position. On a whim, and after a challenge from another member, I managed to put my RT up onto the center stand while still straddling the bike :grin:. I like my RT, but I have always felt that it is quite cramped. I do OK on it by myself, but when my fiance hops on the back we run out of room quickly. She is by no means big, but she is not petite either. I have ridden a Wee on several occations, and while I believe it would be a perfect bike for light touring and comuting.......I don't believe it would be up for the task of 2-up touring. It might technically be able to do it, but I can't imagine being happy with the performance

once the bike is loaded with a weeks worth of gear and two people.

I'm not sold on anything yet. I just know what won't work for me........and that list gets longer with every bike I look at. I'm down to either replacing my RT with something like the 1200GS or the Super Tenere, or just buying a smaller lightweight bike for solo touring and keeping the RT for the heavy stuff. There is no easy solution, but this Super Tenere has certainly got my attention.

Still need to find out about the electrics on that monster??

Does it have enough juice to run a couple Gerbing Jackets???

The early FJRs was kinda weak.

Supposedly. If you used 12V as a voltage base, then it has a 600W electrical system. I'm guessing most companies use 14.4 Volts though.......that would push that number to 720W. Which is exactly what BMW rates the 1200GS to be

Super10%20Elec%20Specs.jpg

That is the same problem the STROM families have. Weak alternators.

Keith, you and I are about the same size and Dianne and I have the same problems you two have. That said though, the Wee will do most of it including a couple hundred miles for lunch two up.

But if you're looking at longer trips two up, I'd consider the DL1K also.

Partially yes. I'm 6'2" with broad shoulders, long arms, and a 34" inseam. The last time I got fitted for a suit, they had to give me a jacket to fit my shoulders/arms, and then promptly had to cut 8" out of the mid-section. I realize I'm not the jolly green giant, but I can easily flatfoot my RT with the seat in the highest position. On a whim, and after a challenge from another member, I managed to put my RT up onto the center stand while still straddling the bike :grin:. I like my RT, but I have always felt that it is quite cramped. I do OK on it by myself, but when my fiance hops on the back we run out of room quickly. She is by no means big, but she is not petite either. I have ridden a Wee on several occations, and while I believe it would be a perfect bike for light touring and comuting.......I don't believe it would be up for the task of 2-up touring.

There is no easy solution, but this Super Tenere has certainly got my attention.

Sounds like an 1150 ADV might be a good fit. Does everything you're asking and is surprisingly capable off-road. Try to get a test ride on one, I bet you'd like it.

Keith,

Maybe I'm going about it wrong but the sheet you provide shows a 42.9A system at 14 volts which converts to a 600 watt system.

If they viewed it as a 12 volt system it would only produce 515 watts at the same amperage.

A bit anemic.

No ABS, plus a small fuel tank and piss poor gas mileage. Its been off the list for years :rofl:

Keith,

maybe I'm going about it wrong but the sheet you provide shows a 42.9A system at 14 volts which converts to a 600 watt system.

If they viewed it as a 12 volt system it would only produce 515 watts at the same amperage.

A bit anemic.

I was just glancing at the rectifier stats. I'll be the first one to admit that I don't have a clue how companies go about rating their systems. I'm sure there is no industry standard, and every company uses their own smoke and mirrors to rate their systems under their own ideal conditions.

I have a funny feeling we won't know what its really capable of handling till the first winter they are on the road here in the states.

No ABS, plus a small fuel tank and piss poor gas mileage. Its been off the list for years :rofl:

Actually it's the same tank, just lousy mileage.

I didn't like mine either, but some folks swear by them.

I know my 800ST and the 650 WeeStrom get 60+mpg. Of, course the VS has a 6 gallon tank and I'se got 4.2 sucky little gallons.

The F800GS can be fitted with an Axillary 5.8 gallon tank for about 1500 buckos. 10 Gal total.

That's adventure, baby! See how far you can go before the bladder bursts.

Think of it, you could cross Texas and only stop for gas once, depending on your route. Do it in proper poser GS style standing on the pegs. My mind reels!

I have no desire to have that much fuel. I rarely go past 150 miles at a time without wanting to stop for sort of reason. My big fuel range issue is a a little more realistic as far as every day use, but it also eliminates quite a few bikes. My commute is 120 miles per day, and I don't want to have to stop at a gas station every single day. I have it well planned out with my RT that I stop for gas every other day.

Therefor, I have a requirement that any bike I get to replace my RT must be able to do 240 miles per tank without having to run it on fumes.

My commute is 120 miles per day, and I don't want to have to stop at a gas station every single day. I have it well planned out with my RT that I stop for gas every other day.

Therefor, I have a requirement that any bike I get to replace my RT must be able to do 240 miles per tank without having to run it on fumes.

1150GS ADV

Get gas every third day. And when you head out into the boonies (you will), you can't have too much gas.

My commute is 120 miles per day, and I don't want to have to stop at a gas station every single day. I have it well planned out with my RT that I stop for gas every other day.

1150GS ADV

Get gas every third day. And when you head out into the boonies (you will), you can't have too much gas.

I'm not going away. :)

I've thought about the 1150GSA many times, and would seriously consider it. There are really only three things that bug me about them.

1. A 1200GS is lighter and has more power

2. I don't want wizzy brakes

3. People want an arm and a leg for them

I routinely have 1200GS models come and go from my local dealership now for under $10k. Hell, they just sold a 24k mile 1200GSA for $11500. Some guys are still asking prices like that for their 1150's (which I think is nuts). I couldn't justify spending that kind of money on an 1150 if I could get a 1200 for almost the same price. If the right bike for the right price came along I would seriously consider it, but so far......I haven't seen it.

I've thought about the 1150GSA many times, and would seriously consider it. There are really only three things that bug me about them.

1. You're correct and a logical thinking person would desire both those qualities. But an 1150Adv. defies logic. :)

There's no doubt a 12GS is quicker and handles (only somewhat) better in the twisties, but you didn't list those as priorities. Many, including myself, believe the 1150A is better off-road than the 12 or 12GSA. To me, it's also better at long distance (more stable = less tiring, although the 12A's extra weight mitigates this. It's hard to quantify, and it doesn't make sense, that's why you should try one before making a decision based on specs.

2. I believe 02's and maybe some 03's don't have power assist, I was lucky to find an '02 w/o ABS. Besides, even on the 04's the wizzy brakes aren't like those on the RT, much less intrusive and less noticeable. (with my hearing there's no wizzing at all)

3. They hold their value for a reason. They're simpler and not as likely to leave you stranded in BFE, and people that know these types of bikes want them. One might cost a little more initially but most of it will come back later.

There's no doubt a 12GS is quicker and handles (only somewhat) better in the twisties, but you didn't list those as priorities.

You don't want to see my list of priorities. Basically, my next bike has to do everything my RT does, but do it better. I also want a little more leg room and airflow. Otherwise, I will just keep pissing money into the black hole of a bike I currently have. I have a spread sheet if you really want to see it :grin:

I would have bought an 1150GS long ago if they weren't stupid expensive. I just think people live in some sort of used bike time warp when it comes to what they think their bikes are worth. I mean I bought my '00 1100RT 5 1/2 years ago for $7000. I currently think it is honestly worth about $3-4k, but I still routinely see other 11xxRT's for sale in the $6500-9000 range, same with the 1150GS's (regardless of mileage and condition). The prices are just all over the road. I have a hard time even thinking about spending that kind of money on a bike that is almost 10 years old.......especially when I can get low mileage '08+ 1200GS's for ~$10k.

One of my biggest things is that I'm REALLY getting tired of wrenching my my bike in order to ride it. Some maintence here and there is obviously acceptable, but I have got to the point that I am spending a lot of time and money on my bike just to keep it rolling down the road. I realize a newer bike will cost more upfront, but my main goal is to ride. When I'm wrenching, I'm not riding. My bike rides and handles great when its not sitting in the garage in pieces. I'm just not sure I'm willing to take the chance with another BMW.

2001 GSA 24k Ohlins/GIVI/BMW sidecases Big PIAA's (system cases color matched)

$7500 OBO

link

plus you would get to see Matt

others

Comparing a standard 1200 GS to an adventure based on price is shortsighted, IMO.

Too many diffs and farkles in place w/the GSA.

Try pricing them w/comps.

Best wishes.

If I remember well, the 2001 R1150GS/GSA did have brakes like the R1100 bikes, ABS but no linkage, no power brakes. Keith, you would like that. In Pompano Beach ShovelStrokeEd would be real close to check it out for you.

Note: I would stay away from any 2002 R1150. Too many early clutch spline failures.

1. You're correct and a logical thinking person would desire both those qualities. But an 1150Adv. defies logic. :)

There's no doubt a 12GS is quicker and handles (only somewhat) better in the twisties, but you didn't list those as priorities. Many, including myself, believe the 1150A is better off-road than the 12 or 12GSA. To me, it's also better at long distance (more stable = less tiring, although the 12A's extra weight mitigates this. It's hard to quantify, and it doesn't make sense, that's why you should try one before making a decision based on specs.

2. I believe 02's and maybe some 03's don't have power assist, I was lucky to find an '02 w/o ABS. Besides, even on the 04's the wizzy brakes aren't like those on the RT, much less intrusive and less noticeable. (with my hearing there's no wizzing at all)

3. They hold their value for a reason. They're simpler and not as likely to leave you stranded in BFE, and people that know these types of bikes want them. One might cost a little more initially but most of it will come back later.

Stop with the 1150 GSA talk. I thought it was gonna be our secret. I have owned a 1200 GSA, Mrs Whip hated it(I wasn't a fan either). I am 6'2" the 1150 is the most comfortable bike I have ever owned. The first day I owned it I rode it 900 miles with two hundred on the Parkway. 200 mile riding between stops is nothin. Back to back 1000 mile days are easy on this monster.

I ride it to work almost every day and it get around traffic and into tight parking spots easier than my RT. The only bike close is the Katoom, after a bunch of mods.

Buy the Yammie, let me know if ya see any 1150 GSAs in your area.

The wizzy breaks are no biggy.

:thumbsup:

I never thought I would be promoting a beemer... :dopeslap:

BTW....It ain't too shabby in the twisties.

One of my biggest things is that I'm REALLY getting tired of wrenching my my bike in order to ride it. Some maintence here and there is obviously acceptable, but I have got to the point that I am spending a lot of time and money on my bike just to keep it rolling down the road. I realize a newer bike will cost more upfront, but my main goal is to ride. When I'm wrenching, I'm not riding. My bike rides and handles great when its not sitting in the garage in pieces. I'm just not sure I'm willing to take the chance with another BMW.

Can't argue with that. I like to hit the button and go.

On the other hand, mine has become a dedicated big off-roader (around 70%) and has had no problems, but it doesn't have a lot of miles on it.

A low mileage one would be the ticket, I'll keep an eye out.

:grin:

Secret? You pretty much blew that out of the water once you got home with it. :wave:

:grin:

Secret? You pretty much blew that out of the water once you got home with it. :wave:

:rofl:

I have put over 40k on mine since last July. It is the only bike I have put this many miles on and not got bored with or found something better.

If I couldn't find another one the Yammie, KTM SMT, or 990 R would be on my short list.

Mrs Whip nixed the Duc a few weeks ago.

You guys kill me :dopeslap:

After doing a bunch more reading, I guess I owe it to myself to really check out a 1150GSA in person (if I can find one). I know I eyeballed Whip's bike pretty good an the UN in NH, but I have still never ridden one. I have ridden a few RT's with the power assisted brakes and didn't like them at all. I'm not sure if its something I could get used to or not. That was one of my main thoughts on skipping the 1150's and early 1200's. I know Paul mentioned that the '01 models had traditional brakes, but I'm not sure I want to buy a bike of that vintage. Plus finding one with low mileage from a specific year would be difficult.

I won't be activly shopping till spring, so I still have plenty of time to hash it out between my ears.

Keith,

going from my 1100RT to my 1200GS with the whizzy brakes took about 5 stops to get used to. It's nothing really and the brake bleed doesn't take that much longer from what I have read. I wouldn't let that be a deal breaker for you.

Brake diference between R1150RT and R1150GS/GSA: R1150RT has fully integrated brakes, hand OR foot activate both wheels, R1150GS has partially integrated brakes - hand operates both wheels but foot operates only rear wheel.

Hey Keith! FWIW, I don't mind at all switching back and forth between the KLR and the 1150RT when it comes to braking. You couldn't get two other bikes that have such a different brake feel when you really think about. I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think it will be a problem switching to the linked brake system when you buy the Yammie either :clap:

A sweetie pie up in Vermont. Damn Whip, you could sell a ice sickle to an Eskimo. :grin: Another one want it. :dopeslap:

Pat

I saw that one. Another nice one out in Utah with only 18k on it just went on ebay last night for $8300. And found an '06 in VA with 26k on it for $10500.

After reading a bunch of classifieds and a few hours of research over on ADV.......It seems to me that $10k is the magic number for a 1150GSA. Thats not a bad price if ya can find one with low mileage that is fully farkled, but thats a little steep for one that is bone stock with no luggage (I found a few of these as well).

A sweetie pie up in Vermont. Damn Whip, you could sell a ice sickle to an Eskimo. :grin: Another one want it. :dopeslap:

Pat

A six year old BMW GS in excellent condition with ONLY 16.5K on the clock?

What's this world coming to? :(

Archived