IGNORED

R1150RT top milleage before major overhauls

Alain_Labelle

Hello,

I own a 2001 R1150RT. It now has 62 000 Kilometers. Very happy with the bike. It is reliable, didn't had any problems with it, the oil consumption is within "normal" range, and I think the bike is perfect for touring alone or with my SO.

I am planning of keeping my RT for a "very long time" and was wondering "aside from the Beemer legend" what kind of milleage should I expect before the bike will need major maintenance and repairs (pistons rings change, tranmission and drive-shaft problems etc). Please note that I am not hard on the mechanic, Im planning of buying a RC-51 for this purpose dopeslap.gif.

Since the bike is a 2001 I guess some of you readers must have high milleage and have practical experience with this issue.

Keep on riding those buzzers... thumbsup.gif

Thanks

A Labelle

Quebec, Canada

You'll find some answers in this thread

I've added another 4,000 miles onto the 100,000 I mentioned in that post and she's still ticking right along. smile.gif If we ever get this darned remodel done we will be doing some major preventive maintenance, though.

Knocking on wood here!

I realize your're referring to an oilhead, but by comparison, there are K-bikes out there with 400,000 to 500,000 km on their original engine. Mine has nearly 200,00KM on it (125,000 miles) and it runs like new.

Bob.

I have a 96 RT with over 130,000. Replaced transmission at 100,000, clutch at 85,000, lost final drive at 62,000. Other than that everything else has been fairly routine, tuneups, some relays etc. Did replace one throttle body at 110,000.

Am considering taking it to a dealer to have them run the computer analysis and do a leakdown and compression check.

Bike runs great

I realize your're referring to an oilhead, but by comparison, there are K-bikes out there with 400,000 to 500,000 km on their original engine. Mine has nearly 200,00KM on it (125,000 miles) and it runs like new.

Bob.

About 2 years ago, there was an '85 K100 on eBay with over 325,000 MILES on it. I nearly bought it to do the IBR as it would have been a great, dependable bike with milage that would make people open their eyes widely...

Alain_Labelle

Thanks to all, for taking the time to answer, it is kind of encouraging thumbsup.gif.

This question is for Steve;

What were the symptoms for the transmission and final drive problems ? dit they occured suddenly ? Kind of expensive repair I guess ?

If this can be usefull, a BMW mechanic told me that I could expect valves guide and transmission bearings problems in the 170 000 kilometers range.

Thanks

Paul Mihalka

I sold my '99 R1100RT with 170K miles - 270K km. Major defects were Hall sensor at 80K, clutch splines at 100K, rear drive at 150K miles. The motor never had any problems or sign of wear. Cylinder heads were never off, oil use was less at 170K than at 30K, performance never deteriorated.

Alain_Labelle

Thank you very much for the Info Paul!

Very good news as far as I am concerned. My 2001 R1150RT is definitely a keeper.

Any suggestions for or experience with a used sport twin for daily commuting confused.gif?

Suzuki TL1000R ?

Honda RC51 ?

Honda VTR1000 ?

Ducati Monster?

Ducati Super sport ?

Thanks

Archived