IGNORED

supermoto (or lacing new rims)

randy

So I want to try and use my 1994 CR250R as my dirt bike and track day bike. or using the more popular term supermoto. I have researched this for the last 4 weeks. And no I do not want to race, just attend track days on my CR250 instead of the EX500 I currently have (i.e just want two bikes instead of three, RT, EX & CR)

So I bought a wheel off e-bay for 22.00 the hub is good, bearings are fine. I will now have to find a rim and spoke kit.

basically I have been told that excel makes reasonable kits, and I just count the spokes on the OEM hub, and order the rim and spokes as a kit.

So anyone laced their own wheels? Any tricks? this is new for me, but i am excited about learning something new.

As a matter of fact, I hosted a wheel lacing party (for KLR650's) a few months ago. A few of us are setting up for the supermoto look - 18" front, instead of 21".

I took the easy way out, and called Buchanan in Los Angeles. Very easy to deal with, got the goods in a couple of weeks or so. I went with what they recommended, and had zero issues. I did buy their spoke wrench, and highly recommend it - super quality. I also bought a spoke torque wrench - much easier than guessing, and a peice of cake to use.

As far as the actual lacing, I kept a wheel handy, to verify the pattern as I went. Hint - if the spokes seem too long or too short, you (I) probably messed something in the pattern. blush.gif Run a search. There's some good articles out there, too.

I own a machine shop, so I made a setup, and used a dial indicator. Kawasaki spec is 2mm runout - both ways. I was able to get them within less than .5mm both ways.

I did have to do a little filing at the weld joint. I also had the rims hard black anodized.

When I get the rest of the bike done, I'll post a pic or two. I've hard black ano'd the fork sliders, rear wheel (it's ready to lace), swing arm is going to the anodized next.

all the best,

Mike

Edit: P.S. one of the reasons we did it was to learn something new, and add a notch....... smile.gif

Wow wish I had been there. But one question, or maybe concern, I am making my wheels, front and rear, 17". Want to be able to use standard track day type tires. Why did you go 18"?? Seems like there are limited choices in that size range.

Do you have the contact or web site for Buchanan??

Are you planning on using the bike as a dirt bike as well? i.e. just swapping back to the dirt wheels. If so I think you will find the bike needs lots of other adjustment.

I am in the process of doing this to my KTM 525EXC. I bought 17" rims, with rotors and tires. I have to swap chains and sidestand when I swap the wheels as the gearing is significantly altered with the different diameter wheels. My dirt suspension settings are perfect for trail riding, but with the small wheels, it choppers the bike out and it steers like a pig. I need to get stiffer springs and possibly change the triple clamp just to get the bike to steer as quickly as my R1200RT.

So although I thought this would be an easy thing, it's proving to be more of a pain in the a$$.

I've also done quite a few track days where there have been motard bikes running. The closing speed between the liter sport bikes, plus the differential corner speed is starting to cause problems, the motards seem to be a bit quicker around slower tight corners but loose out on the faster corners. I don't think it will be too long before many track day organizers ban motard bikes.

well i just ordered an Excel 17" rim and the appropriate spoke kit. I just found a tire balancing holder, and it has an option for determining the wheels run out/in. I am checking into that. The place that is ordering all this for me, also has the spoke wrench, so I guess maybe a week from now I will be having a lacing party at my house clap.gif

Wow wish I had been there. But one question, or maybe concern, I am making my wheels, front and rear, 17". Want to be able to use standard track day type tires. Why did you go 18"?? Seems like there are limited choices in that size range.

Do you have the contact or web site for Buchanan??

We weren't really looking for track day tires - just reasonable street and/or dual sport tires. I'm starting out battleaxes for street use (I have a spare KLR). In this area we have some incredible riding country. I hope to get all over the country some day, so I can see it all. (that's one reason I bought the RT)

www.buchananspokes.com

wish you'd been here, too. smile.gif It's a fun thing to do - I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy doing it. And, you'll know that you have something very special you did yourself. That's something I find very enjoyable.

all the best,

Mike

chris good comments. yes, for right now, I am only on very tight courses. I currently ride a EX500 as my track day bike. I think it has 58 HP. The two tracks I ride, the top lap time is on a 125 and the other track a 250 GP bike. I knew about the gearing, and I also knew about the need for bigger brake rotors. I did not really think about the steering changing that much with the 17" tires. That is a good point. I will see, if it does not take to much time to swap back and forth then I will keep this set up. For right now, I just do dirt riding with my son, and it is nothing real intense. I would guess I could set the bike up more towards supermotor, and live with it on dirt, than vice versa. but I will keep these comments in mind. thanks.

Archived