IGNORED

balaclava recommendations

celebrationrev

celebrationrev

Our first 45 degree morning has me shopping for a balaclava. I have one for general purposes but it doesn't work well with the helmet.

Seems the ideal balaclava for mc purposes would have a thin head piece to fit easily under the helmet and an extended throat piece to block the wind.

I've done some searching but wondered if anyone had a specific recommendation or a "stay away from".

I have bought two different brands of these from the bicycle shop in Grandville on Chicago Drive, the Schwinn shop. They both work great. You are pretty close to that store, just stop in and try em out. I have bought a fair amount of stuff there but suprisingly none of it for on a pedal bike ;)

I am very fond of my BMW Windbreaker balaclava. Coolmax on top under the helmet, Goretex around the neck area. There are loads of alternatives - they just happened to have my size on that day ........

celebrationrev
I have bought two different brands of these from the bicycle shop in Grandville on Chicago Drive, the Schwinn shop.

Thanks for the recommendation. I went there after work and got one of three kinds they carried. Wore it home (it never did warm up today) and it helps a lot.

Balaclava is good start, silk is excellent.

If it gets colder, a neck gaiter is a great addition w/the extra layer creating warmth and keeping the wind at bay.

Campmoor had theirs on sale (poly/fleece/water"proof" for $9.95 this summer. Don't know what they're asking now.

ShovelStrokeEd

BMW sells the perfect thing for you.

Its made of windstopper Goretex and is water proof as well.

See your local dealer or order from Bob's BMW or Chicago BMW.

They also have an really nice silk, or silk like one for the milder conditions you describe. Doesn't go quite as far down onto the chest as the wind proof one but I find it pretty comfortable. I have both BTW.

Oops, Sorry John, didn't see your post before answering.

Archived