IGNORED

Alarm for R12RT

rrrosner

I'm thinking of buying the BMW alarm for the R1200RT because I park my bike outside. Anyone have any experience with this gizmo? Is it worth the big price tag?

I had the alarm added to my R1200ST.

Slightly more peace of mind and it looks cool when you arm/disarm at night.

The dealer had warned me that they may have trouble getting the bikes computer and it to play nice together. That wasn't the case. They had more trouble figureing out where to put the module itself. It was their first St alarm install and the manuals weren't clear (I was trying to help). A quick phone call got that straitened out though.

The RT mounting location is more obvious to the installer.

I fitted the alarm to my 1150RT 'cos it's my mobile office and get around a lot. Took me 9 hours to fit and didn't have any problems. Well worth it for mine. Not so sure about the R12 install though.

My R1200RT came with the alarm installed at the factory. I actually didn't need/want it, but I *accepted* it with the rest of the bike.

It's okay, I guess, but in my usual travel circles, I could get along quite nicely without it. I do use it because it's there. IMO, mine is NOT sensitive enough to motion and I have brought this to the dealer's attention. I CAN set the alarm with the bike on the center stand, get on the bike and rock it off the center stand and place it on the side stand and in most instances the alarm will NOT sound.

Botton line: I would opt NOT to buy it if I had the choice.

That sounds really wierd. When set mine goes off of rocked on the centrestand and Homer, you wouldn't want to be standing beside it when it did! blush.gif

Cheers

I know when I get my BMW, whatever it may be. I'm going to have an alarm put on it. It would make me feel a LOT better about sleeping at a hotel when I have to leave it outside and can't bring it in the room with me smile.gif

Well I went ahead and had it installed--should've done it myself but wasn't sure how hard it would be. Turns out the new CAN bus makes it easy to install, says the guy who did it.

The motion sensor is not as sensitive as I'd like. Taking it off the center stand would definitely set mine off, but I could easily fiddle with the luggage without setting it off. I agree it could be louder, but it's loud enough to bug my neighbors. One nice thing about it is that it flashes one of the built-in LEDs when it's on.

Thanks for the info, all.

Roger

The flashing LED will stop after a few days of sitting to conserve power. I know. What person in their right mind would let a perfectly good BMW sit for that long?

Roger - Would you mind telling us the cost of the alarm and the cost to have it installed? I'm considering having one installed on my R12RT, so I'd like to get an idea of how the price tag is going to look. Thanks!

Brian

As I recall the alarm unit was around $260 (discounted off the list of $300) and they got me for two hours of shop time to install. Seems like a number of aftermarket solutions are cheaper, although less integrated.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else have any experience with BMW's alarm system? I want an alarm system on the ST and its 'cheaper' to have BMW do it right at the factory.

Basically when I kick the tire I want the bike to freak out grin.gif

I have it on my ST. If you kick the tire the alar does not freak out. However it will go off if you sit on the bike and put it upright from the sidestand. So it's more of an inclination sensor than a vibration sensor.

Two buttons on the remote.

one button to arm.

One button to disarm.

Double tap the arm button to arm but disable the motion sensor.

Putting the key in the ignition and turning to 'on' also disables the alarm.

You can program the alarm to auto arm and you can also change the tone (mine doesn't change no matter what the setting is. you guys run into that?)

...and you can also change the tone (mine doesn't change no matter what the setting is. you guys run into that?)

No. I can get mine to change, however it's still that same kinda basic whistling sound; just a little different variation. I really wish the alarm was somehow tied into the stock horn(s), instead.

...and you can also change the tone (mine doesn't change no matter what the setting is. you guys run into that?)

No. I can get mine to change, however it's still that same kinda basic whistling sound; just a little different variation. I really wish the alarm was somehow tied into the stock horn(s), instead.

Mine doesn't wistle. It beeps during alarm events. It's still loud but I'd prefer a variable pitch type siren. Hmmm...

Ok. I'm a little confused here. Is it really worth it to have an alarm on a beemer or ST in general? Cuz I got a funny feeling that granite grey/red ST will be there in the spring, and I should be able to get a great deal on it..

Ok. I'm a little confused here. Is it really worth it to have an alarm on a beemer or ST in general? Cuz I got a funny feeling that granite grey/red ST will be there in the spring, and I should be able to get a great deal on it..

It makes me feel better and that's what counts.

Archived