IGNORED

Emergency Info

Marek

I carry emergency information like person to contact, allergies, blood type in the chest pocket of my jacket. Does anyone know of a patch or anyway of identifying that pocket so EMS can get to it quickly?

Mark

I don't know of a patch for your pocket, but "ICE" (in case of emergency) programed into your cell phone address book is something many emergency personel will check.

I keep mine with my bike papers, but in addition I copied a trick from the motorcycle police in Holland. I have my name and blood type on the side of my helmet. I guess you could extend that all the way round… eek.gif

Here's one possibility. The only thought is that you would want to add a word or two such as "in pocket" printed in indelible ink or embroidered onto pocket, the idea being that, without the accompanying words, EMS might think that you're just showing your pride in being EMS yourself.

Jamie and I each got two sets of dog tags with our info on them. One set goes around the neck, the other is attached to the tank bag.

If you stenciled or embroidered I.C.E. in a large font and contrasting color on that pocket that would be about your best bet. Having worked many accidents in my time, It needs to "stick out" And ICE is now pretty much recognized by police/fire/resq people.

I don't know of a patch for your pocket, but "ICE" (in case of emergency) programed into your cell phone address book is something many emergency personel will check.

"Emergency Contact" is what I use in my phone. ICE sounds a little blingy.

"Emergency Contact" is what I use in my phone. ICE sounds a little blingy.

ICE started in England and is slowly gaining some acceptance in the US but it is by no means universal. EMTs and Paramedics here (CT) won't even bother looking for your phone much less try to figure out how to get to the freakin' address book. I'm told the same is true in many (most?) other parts of the country.

Putting that same info into a pocket is marginally better but depending on the accident, etc. we may not spend a lot of time looking there either. What we do look for are med alert id tags and bracelets. Those won't be missed. We're doing a full body check anyway to see what's busted up. You can add all the other methods of carrying med info but your most reliable option is still a necklace or bracelet with the caduceus on it & the info engraved on the other side.

The medical profession uses the Caduceus, which represents peace, as their symbol. They should actually be using the Staff/Wand of Asclepius as he was the healer. Emergency services uses the Staff.

You can learn the difference here

Archived