IGNORED

R12GS Battery problem after disconnecting

Dirtmerchant

I pulled the cables off my battery to connect the +/- wires to my Touratech Cockpit Cover Powerlet outlet. When I reconnected everything I had NOTHING, No dash lights. I removed the cables again and cleaned up the battery terminals with fine sandpaper and Naphtha. The dash display would come on but no lights, fuel pump or anything else cycling. If I tinker around with the cables the display will go out. I tested the Powerlet outlet and I have 12.67 Volts and the polarity is correct.... I connected the positive first, the negative cable does arc when connecting it.

BTW, The Powerlet install is done correctly, I have been installing my own electronics for years.

I disconnected the negative battery cable to hopefully let the computer reset.

What do you think?

Rodney

did the other end of the ground come off by mistake?

sounds suspicious to me/resetting the computer probably is NOT the issue

i'll let smarter folks chime in

good luck

and please tell us what you find out

greg

Greg,

Thanks for the reply,

No, That is the thing that is crazy. The only thing I did was remove the - and then + cables from the battery to put the fused connections to the Powerlet outlet. I put the pos back on first and then neg.

BTW, The Powerlet outlet is in a Touratech dash that I installed at least 30-days ago; just got around to picking up connectors to finish the install.........

Rodney

well

who knows what is still loose from the fatory, and as you loosen the battery side and pull slightly, the other side comes dislodged

probably not, but worth a look , guess

please let me know what happens

good luck

greg

Boy that's a stumper.

I have 12.67 Volts
Seems a bit down for a static battery. Any chance it is just way discharged? Does the battery voltage drop further when you turn the key on?

Did you have the battery phsically our of the bike?

Thanks for the reply.

I did not remove the battery, only the cables to connect Powerlet +/-.

I have had problems getting the bike to fire in the past and think it may be my immobilizer thing-a-ma-bob. http://www.advrider.com/forums/show...t=R1200GS+Reset

Anywho, my dealer picked the bike up this a.m. so I will let them figure it out. I will post back and let you know what the deal is.

Rodney

Did you think to remove the Powerlet thing? you know undoing the last thing you did is the first step of troubleshooting. I think just incase there is a mis-wireing inside the powerlet device that causes some sort of short that confuses the computer.

Steve,

Thanks for the reply

Removing the Powerlet wires was the first thing I did; nothing. Then I connected it back and tested the voltage off the Powerlet; everythign was cool there but no power on the bike........... I have been hooking up electronics for 25 years so I know it is nothing I did.

Rodney

Hi Rodney,

It sounds like you did everything right to me. I've had my cables disconnected from the battery on my RT a half dozen times as I've added various electronics. I disconnected and reconnected just as you have. My guess is that you've got a control unit or node that was on the very edge of failing and that process of disconnecting and reconnecting the battery pushed it over the edge. In other words something was defective but not quite enough to fail on it's own. I sure hope your dealer can find the culprit quickly and get you back up and running. Best of luck!

Rodney...I'm with you and Scott on this one. You did everything in proper sequence (have put two TT dash units in my two 12GS's this year) all with no issues. Just remember that when all is working normally after reconnecting the battery in proper sequence to (1) turn on the ignition circuit (without starting the motor) (2) twist throttle full open and close two times, and (3) turn off the key and ignition circuit. Don't have the answer but your dealer might find the answer with a component and function test of the electrical components. Good hunting!

Dirtmerchant

Many thanks to Kevin Schmauch and the guys at Fort Myers BMW, they jumped on this thing like a rat on a Cheeto. I guess that is why they are ranked #3 out of 152 retail centers for Customer Satisfaction. clap.gif

So, anyhow, I picked the bike up today. They said there was a connection on the ignition that was not fully snapped in and as soon as the tech touched the wires the power came on. He said there were no codes and could not duplicate the issue after snapping it back in. I have no idea why it quit working after disconnecting the battery cables, coincidence I guess cause I have never been around the ignition connections.

If I had to have the problem I am glad it happend now and not in the middle of nowhere on a trip.

Rodney

If I had to have the problem I am glad it happend now and not in the middle of nowhere on a trip.
I'm glad to hear that it wasn't a module failure. Thank's for letting us know. thumbsup.gif

Archived