IGNORED

BMW riding gear..Worth it??

MarcV125

Well im in need of new gear and i have decided to go with textile...Im wondering about BMW gear in particular. Im looking at the tourguard jacket and streetguard pant combo..

Has anyone tried these..Is it worth it or should i look at something similar,,,Aerostich Darien jacket/pants? I see if i get the Darien jacket i can get a heated liner with the BMW socket and it would still be cheaper than the BMW gear????Di i get what i pay for?

what do you guys like...?

Im looking for a jacket/pant combo that is good in summer, and GREAT in winter as i will be riding deep into the New Enlgand winter.

Thanks for the help.

Marc

Marc,

I live in RI and NH and also ride deep into the winter; I'm going to try to go through the winter this year. I own the Aerostich Darian pants and jacket which I have used on and off for about five years. In general I'm not thrilled with them. Yes they are water proof and the protection seems to be good ( I hope to never test it). But the styling and the comfort level is somewhat primative.

This summer I bought the BMW Venting Maching jacket and pants and I love them. They are the best fitting, most comfortable riding gear I've ever owned. Fit and finish is outstanding. I liked the gear so much that I bought the Streetguard pants and Tourguard jacket for my fall/winter/spring gear. I've not used the jacket yet but the pants are terrific. They're comfortable, easy to get in and out of and the styling is good without being overbearing. I'm looking forward to using the jacket as soon as it is cool enough.

If you don't mind the price tag, the BMW gear,IMHO,is worth every penny.

Additionally, I commute on my bike and have to change at the office, so getting in and out of the gear quickly is important to me. Here too the clothing works pretty well.

I've heard through some bmw dealers that the gear is good, but when it breaks, you send it back to BMW, they fix it, and you get it back like two months later, they just wont replace it. That doesnt sound very pleasant to me eek.gif

I bought BMW jacket and trousers (Savanna 2). the ones I got were being discontinued, in fact I had to have the dealear locate them. That said, they are extremely well designed and as comfortable as I could want, considering the amount of armor. I live in a cool climate with low humidity, but the venting is good up into the high 80's low 90's.

I was impressed with the abrasion resistance of the gear and figured that my skin was worth the couple hundred bucks extra I paid versus the other alternatives.

If you have spent any time in the emergency room in the last few years (I have) you will know that the best protection you can find is worth it. I felt the BMW gear was the best for my particular situation and haven't looked back.

I've found the BMW gear to be very good. I have Savannah2 pants and both the Savannah2 and Airflow2 jackets. While other manufacturers also make some really good stuff (Rukka, Aerostitch, Vanson, etc) the BMW gear is consistantly high in quality and functional. Oh, and cost. wink.gif

I live in my Savannah 2 suit! Had it since I picked up the bike Feb. last year with the gortex liners. Bit of a bugger to clean - ripping out and replacing the armour but very comfortable.

Cheers.

I've used Aerostitch textile and Vanson leather gear for years. Recently I purchased a Savannah 2 jacket and am very pleased with it. It's easily as good as anything else I've had.

I've got the Santiago pants & jacket, as well as the Venting Machine jacket.

I think they're the BEST! Plus, I get a lot of compliments on the gear whenever I stop for a break.

Blue Beemer Dude

I've got the airflow suit (jacket and pants) and I've owned them now for... 4 years I think. Maybe about 20K miles of wear. They are very well made, comfortable, and have better armor than my other suits (I also have a textile mesh suit for really hot summer days and a winter outfit). I've had to wash it a couple of times, and it is holding up well in the wash too, although it is a pain to remove the armor.

So I agree with many of the others here - it is very expensive, but worth the money. I figure that if it costs 50% more than some other stuff but lasts twice as long (or more importantly, protects me better) then it is worth it.

Plus, it's got those cute little roundels on it, and that just screams "class". grin.gif

Michael

Yes. I recently (last month) low-sided the RT (the dummy in me wasn't Riding Smart). Long story short, I was wearing BMW 3-Phase jacket (for those not familiar - a REAL bargain from BMW - Jacket, winter liner, exterior rain/wind jacket - all in one) and FirstGear HT pants. I went down hard and slid. The FG pants took most of the abuse (torn knee pad and butt-cheek area), but I did bounce and slide via the Jacket as well. I have searched all over the jacket area and can find MINOR scratches in the material. That's it. Held up VERY well. No need to replace it.

I also own a BMW Airflow-2 jacket. Again, well made, but in all honesty doesn't 'flow' as well as the old FirstGear summer jacket I own. But guess what? After the get-off, I'll trade some air for some better protection.

You can waste a lot of money on inferior gear, but search around here and by-n-large, the two manufacturers that consistently get top feedback are BMW, and Aerostitch. For both...You get what you pay for.

I guess its just like the old helmet rule..."If you've got a $15 body, buy a $15 jacket". (just doesn't have the same ring to it as the helmet one, but you get the idea).

Regards,

Mike O

alright guys thanks for the responses...

i figured thats what the answers will be..I definetly do not like to skimp on my gear, so hearing that textile and protective go together is a good thing.. I will start looking...Are there any discount BMW riding gear sites tongue.gif ???? thanks guys

Marc

Living in California I rely on my excellent BMW Savannah Jacket and pants. Best riding gear available in my view.

When I lived in Massachusetts, however, I swore by my Cycloak Evolution jacket. Now that it's been discontinued, you can get them for real good deals. Like this link for instance:

http://motorcyclecity.com/Motorcycle_Accessories/F-11985.html

The jacket is very warm for winter riding. The tag line for the product was "no wind, no rain, no sweat". You won't get cold or wet in this jacket, but with the liner out and vents open, it's still a little warm for summer riding. Great jacket even at the $450 I paid for it.

Archived