IGNORED

Wheel Spin/ Throttle Control

mistral

OK, you are going around a corner and you get rear wheel spin either from just being on the gas or a little dirt or something. I want to chop the throttle at any hint of wheel spin, but I am thinking it is probably better to just stay on the gas. That is what I wouild do on the dirt bike. Maybe you should back off some? What would you do? I just know cement hurts.

Another scenario is let's say you hit something like oil. If you are lucky enough to stay on two wheels then I think you have to back off the throttle?

I seek wisdom from the collective!

Thanks,

Ron

I would suggest that easing off the throttle and trying to get upright in a straight line would be the preferred course. If you're still in control and just doing a rear wheel "drift", then I'd think it sufficient to ease up a little on the throttle and enjoy.

Knowledgeable people will now correct me....

---

Chop the throttle and you'll almost certainly do a "high side," in which the bike will spit you off as the suspension decompresses. It's better to just ease off on the throttle.

Here's a video I was shooting at Barber on the Tuono. I applied too much throttle for the lean angle I was maintaining, and exactly that happened--the rear came loose and I was headed for a high side. If you listen to the throttle, you'll hear that I didn't chop it entirely but just eased off on it, giving the bike time to settle back into a "hooked up" situation.

It's toward the end of this video.

Did something happen on our ride last weekend that I'm unaware of?

What, you did not see that massive power slide and wheelie out of the corner? No I just need to train myself not to chop the throttle if I get in that situation.

I could not view the video, but thanks for the input guys.

Ron

Hi

I only too well, Saturday 19 November 2005,remember the dreaded morning in detail. :(:)

It was a very cold day, -6c overnight & it was eventually agreed for my advanced motorcycle test could go ahead as it was a dry, sunny but very cold. Completed a good part of the test and we rode into open countryside for some speed riding, rode around a series of bends and opened it up onto a straight when the back tyre (tire) touched a compressed patch of mud. The road was very narrow UK country road and little chance for rectifying the mistake, we barrel rolled into a ploughed field. The police instructor who was carrying out the test was amazed how quickly things happened as he rode past me on his Honda Pan-European.

Eventually after getting the bike upright, starting it managed to put in gear and walk it out to the road. We were some miles from civilisation, once everything had been collected, secured, I slowly rode to a bike dealership for the bike to be collected. The ride back was scary, riding through tree lined shaded lanes the road surface was still very icy has the sun could not melt the surface. I found out afterwards I'd picked up a metal screw in the rear tyre (tire) on the ride that morning, losing some pressure and contributing to the problem.

The next morning @ 05:30am we flew out to Spain for a planned holiday/vacation, every bone and muscle ached for a couple of days. The bike was eventually repaired, although had to be returned a number of times to the BMW dealer for very poor workmanship , I think the repair costs at the time was around £3,500 ($5,000).

It certainly dented my confidence for some time, I'm now I feel a much better rider following the incident and passed my advanced motorcycle test the following year.

I would rather it happen while on throttle than on brakes.

Course when all of us get the new ABS and DTC in the future this will be a "remember when thread".

Should'd come by and worked on tires instead of hooning it up!

..and we did some delightful hooning last weekend. Of course I had to ask Ron if anything happened that I was unaware of 'cause I can't see al that well in my rearview mirrors :wave:.

I would rather it happen while on throttle than on brakes.

Course when all of us get the new ABS and DTC in the future this will be a "remember when thread".

Good point. How long before BMW allows the electronics package on the 1000RR to works it way into other models in it's line-up??? I could see the GS taking a little time to get in dialed-in for off-road use.

IF you slip due ot a irregularity i nthe pavement or a patch of oil, gravel, etc. You don't need to lift hte throttle, only counter steer as needed ot stay upright since the pavemnt after you've passed the point in question, will offer more grip and your steering inputs will have increaed the radius of the turn reducing the amoutn of traction you need. You're biggest problem will be if you didn't leave any extra road to recover.

Speed, particularly wheel RPM, is your friend if you lose traction. It's possible to drift a motorcycle at high speeds due to the high rotational inertia of the wheels (especially the rear wheel.) If you chop the throttle, you lose most of the gyroscopic stability of the rear wheel. If you stay on the throttle, or even pin it, you still at least have that. Gradually easing off is the correct thing to do, as you want to regain traction with as little differential tire/pavement speed as possible.

Archived