IGNORED

The wind factor..

wilsons

Oh.. my god. So I've been doing alot of reading about wind noise with helmets and shields and the like while I was utterly bored at work right? Nice way to get paid I say. Anywho, I get out of work like at 6:30, hop on the bike and head on home. I got a kTm LC4 with streetish tires on it. So I'm ridin down a road doin like 10 or 15mph over the limit, and I got into thinking 'damn, theres alot of wind noise around me'. So I sped up a little more, and put both my hands up underneath the sides of the helmet, shocked as hell riding no handed down the road I hear what is close enough to silence as one can expect with my face shield up. (FYI, I have an Arai XD helmet, that motocross helmet with a shield built in. I love it). So I try it again flyin down RR Hwy doin bout 75mph, shield down this time, and again, it was really quiet.

Very interesting to know!.. that alot of wind noise comes from underneath your helmet. I almost didn't believe it. Now I do. And want to get one of those things you can put around the helmet to stop the wind from getting up in your helmet.

Veeeeery interesting indeed grin.gif

Yup, I learned that a long time ago. I can cancel most of the noise by lifting my shoulders. There is also a big difference depending on what jacket I wear(or don't). Any of my jackets with shoulder armor greatly reduce the noise, especially compared to t-shirt days.

Also, Different helmets make more noise on different bikes. My Arei Quantum-F is very quiet on my CBR but tons of noise on my R12ST. While my Shoie Rf1000 is OK on my ST, it gets a serious head-shake at 90ish on my CBR.

Ear plugs is the only good answer I've found.

First thigs first - ride with ear plugs. Secondly, I wear a Schuberth C-2 and it, and the earlier Concept model are equipped with a seal on the bottom edge of the helmet to seal out the noise you are talking about. It is integrated into the helmet and it works quite well. The aftermarket can probably supply you with something like it. I think the name of one company is Noji (sp?).

my beemer shop in cincinnati here sell's shoei, hjc, arai, and now scorpion helmets, im going to test ride one tomorrow, i know they will let ya test jackets and stuff, so i think helmets are good to go too. we'll see smile.gif

whats funny is *all* my street gear, i've bought from the beemer shop over the last two years. grin.gif

BMW Ridin Wannabe,

Oilhead & hexhead RT's electric windshield allows for sonic experiments at the push of a button !!! And, you can leave hands on bars, BRILLIANT !!!

Wooster

Well, I seem to have that 'passion' for the ST, as noted in someones post on another thread, go with what 'turns you on' if you will. The RT didn't really do it for me. What I'll do before I buy next spring is take the GS, RT, and ST and GT if they gots one, for one last ride and by then and after all this preliminary trials this year. I think ill have it narrowed down. But it's all about passion, right? confused.gif I believe I can work around the little issues that are in front of me..

Oddly, I was at the beemer shop all day today. I love that place! Anyway, I was lookin at a bunch of helmets. and I found that the one that seems to give me the most coverage around the next is the Scorpion helmet, it fits great, and feels good, Im going to test that helmet either this saturday or next saturday. Maybe later cuz I wanna test this stuff in the cold too smile.gif

Archived