IGNORED

R12GS-What's the fix for...?

mark5lam

It think the answer to the first question has been posted before but I can't find it.

In regards to the R1200GS;

1. What's the fix for the wind-screen rattle at low RPM? Rubber washers or something?

2. Anyone else's front breaks have an annoying high frequency hum (squeek) just as the bike comes to a stop? Did you do anything that fixed it?

Just for info, I have the cast wheels. A friend of mine has both sets (spoked and cast wheels) he swaps them when he's riding dirt or road. He says, only his cast wheels make the noise.

1. The shaking out at the tips or an actual rattle you can hear? The later I corrected on mine by switching to the Touratech lower mounting pins. The tip shake I have no idea. The screen just flexes that much.

2. Not mine anyway.

1. What's the fix for the wind-screen rattle at low RPM? Rubber washers or something?

I have found that overtightening the fastener-adjuster bolts will make this rattle louder. Back these out ever so slightly to eliminate.

My bike has had the squeal/groan from the front brakes as you come to a stop almost since new. At the 6K service, the mechanic changed the brake pads. No improvement. He had them order new rotors. I think they forgot to order them, but I hadn't called because I was skeptical that would help. I read on the UK GS site two potential fixes: put some disc brake lube on the back sides of the brake pads, and/or put some disc brake lube under the hat shaped spacers under the bolts that hold each front rotor on. Last night, I did the latter. Rode 300 miles today, and the squeal is 99% gone. If this link works, you can read the thread.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39873&highlight=squealing

And here's a link to another thread on that site, posted two days ago. There may be a better fix from BMW. I'll be asking my dealer about that.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54302&highlight=squealing

There may be a better fix from BMW. I'll be asking my dealer about that.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54302&highlight=squealing

BMW issued a service bulletin (back in Apr 05)

addressing the problem. Of course, BMW apparently

didn't notify anyone that owns a R12GS. But that's another issue.

The fix involves replacing the solid metal shims on

the front rotors with new shims that have some rubber

coating on one side of the shims. This action is

covered under warranty.

I had the work done today and so far it appears to

have fixed the problem. My breaks squeak no more.

Hopefully it will last.

thumbsup.gif

Didn't waste any time, did you? I'm glad it works. I called the GM at the little dealer where I go, and he said he would check on that campaign number listed on the UK web site, and call me next week. He was short handed today.

Didn't waste any time, did you? I'm glad it works. I called the GM at the little dealer where I go, and he said he would check on that campaign number listed on the UK web site, and call me next week. He was short handed today.

Naaa, didn't waste any time. I was taking it in today anyway for a new rear tire. I just mentioned to my dealer about the squeaky breaks. I didn't quote the number that was listed on the UK-GS site. I only told them that I heard that BMW issued a fix for the squeaky breaks. They said: "yes, we know about it." They had the parts on hand and fixed it under warrenty after putting the new rear tire on for me. Nice to have fresh rubber and breaks that don't squeak when you pull up to a stop smile.gif

Archived