IGNORED

the awful realization that you are going down....

SteveSardone

As a rule an insurance company "usually" totals a vehicle @ 65% of actual cash value. I failed to put that in my previous post.

If the perp has no insurance this is the perfect example for having uninsured/underinsured coverage on your vehicles. Pretty inexpensive in the scheme of things. Good Luck and keep us posted on your outcome.

I would be surprised if a dealer's detailed crash report didn't come in higher for parts and labor than the cost of totalling the bike.

I save all receipts for riding gear, and if I have an accident, it's possible to use the net to establish current replacement cost for the same or comparable items. Presenting an agent with an itemized list for these things reduces opportunities for argument.

If the bike is totalled, and you have farkles such as brake modulator, Throttlemeister, etc., remove them if it all possible before letting go.

Crashing sucks.

Paul In Australia

I have lived mainly, until the last two years, in isolated locations ( islands, deserts etc). I have, since returning to civilisation, been constantly amazed at some specimens we still call human beings. Anything short of attempted murder as a charge is nothing short of ridiculous for this guy. Why would anyone do that!!!.

Adds to the saying, "life is short, make the most of it" and thank God you got out of this ok.

"Glass is half empty, half full" philosphy, the next model is an improvement on the one you had and will be even more fun.

best regards

Paul

no more info yet-no call back from the sheriff's office and no accident report from FHP. If you want to read some news reports google Dale Edwin Baldwin and look at the articles. I also found him on the columbia county sheriffs office jail log.

http://www.suwanneedemocrat.com/local/local_story_033162329.html

http://www.columbiasheriff.com/attachments/7/02022010.pdf

The 6 years I worked as the Service Manager in a Honda dealership 90% of the bikes that came in wrecked were totaled. the other 10% would have been totaled if you knew that parts you find as you put it back together could have been in the original estimate.

Don

Late to the thread. Incredible story. Thank God you came out relatively unscathed.

Agree with others to get a dealer esitmate, but considering that the bike took the bulk of the damage it's a happy ending to a terrible event.

So, running you off the road and trying to kill you is not as important as swerving toward a police officer? I guess the swerving is on tape and a slamdunk for the DA, whereas your accusations would have to be investigated. Was there an investigation? Other than your photos?

I guess I don't understand why this guy isn't under the jail with additional charges piling up on him every day.

---

My favorite is this quote from the Suwanee Democrat article. Not that the guy didn't deserve the a**-kicking the cops gave him but....

No damage was sustained to any law enforcement vehicles. However, the suspect was transported to Lake City Medical Center for treatment of previous injuries, not related to Monday's incident. Previous injuries, yea right.

Really glad you faired well, all things considered. Looks like your gear did it's job too. Glad you are able to write about it and will be able to ride again. And, I hope the bad guy gets his due.

Yikes, what a tale of clamity. I am so glad that you wwere able keep your wits about you and manage the spill as efectivley as you did. Well done. Hope the reflection / recovery / replacement tasks go well.

Having been subpoenaed as a witness to a 3am freeway accident before (crazy nutter in a mini-van randomly misses me and plows into an 18-wheeler) I would suggest as soon as possible writing down a detailed account of what happened. I'm sure you probably wrote down something for the popo but I would do the excersize anyways as you are likely to be called to testify if this guy gets charged with some form of assault on you.

I double, triple, quadruple recommend taking the bike to a dealership and getting a full estimate on complete repair. I can't imagine that is not at least $8000+ damage and should easily total the bike.

Very glad to hear you walked away with only bumps and bruises - make sure to get those documented as well! My only disagreement with everyone else is don't get a lottery ticket!!! Me thinks you already used up a big chunk of your luck! Ha!

JT

Just to throw in my 2 cents.

Follow the advice of others above and don't be in a hurry to settle with the insurance company. Get more information on your health and the bike condition.

I was rear ended in a car some years ago and the car was not hurt that badly, I thought. The adjuster wanted to settle for $1000 right away, which I did not do on the advice of a doctor who is use to dealing with accidents.

I forget the damage to the car but it was way more than a $1000, something like, $3000. Even at this cost I found out later that they used some junk yard parts and not orgainal parts.

The big issue was that I started having back trouble several days after the accident which got worse over time. The problem stayed with me for years. I spent a lot on doctors and massages to loosen my painfully knoted back muscles. I finally got a lawyer and covered $40K of medical expenses, I had all ready paid out. from the insurance company.

Check bike carefully with dealer.

Check yourself out with Doctor.

Steve,

Do get checked out at the hosp or Dr. This is mandatory for later on in the legal stuff that will follow. There are also some injuries that do not show up immediately, but still need attention and could be serious.

It appears you really are blessed.

Good luck,

Gary

DITO

Look after yourself, glad you cameout of this OK

Allan

update,

I talked to a LT at the sheriffs office. He said the uhaul had a motorcycle in it! Also some precursor chemicals most likely for a meth lab. The highway patrol report is finished but I have to send a notorized request for it which will go in the mail today. They weren't very forthcoming over the phone with any additional details but they did say they would only file traffic related offenses so I will be contacting the other county sheriffs office about additional charges.

As far as medical I talked to the DR about my MRI today and I have several tears in my rotator cuff and bicep so if I want a useable left shoulder I will need surgery.

As far as the bike I was loading it onto the trailer today to take it to the dealer and discovered some more damage the adjuster didn't see. I found a broken piece on the front frame and a crack in the left fork. I called the adjuster and he said that will probably put it over the limit and he is going to total it. Now we just need to come to terms on a value.

thanks again for all the concerned comments and advice.

I'm still thinking about buying it back from the ins and parting it out.

Send in the picture of your pants to Motoport. They'll fix the gear for you good as new and appreciate the "real world" reference. Heck, they may even comp you a new jacket too. :grin:

Of course, I'm glad you survived without much the worse for wear. I would definitely be pissed if this crime isn't treated as attempted murder.

another short update,

well the repairs have now lead to the ins wanting to total the bike but I'm no better off. Originally I would've received 7k for repairs and still own the bike. Now they want to give 10k for the bike and I would have to buy it back for 3k if I want to keep it for repair or parting it out so no better off. This is all before negotiations of course. Still have not recieved the accident report from florida so no new info there. I'm not sure they are too far off in their valuation after looking at the other '04 RT's for sale. I haven't scheduled my shoulder surgery yet.

The 1200s are now dropping below 10k and for 12-14 you can get an well farkled great condition one, or pick up an 1100-1150 RT and save 3-5 thousand for fuel and tires... I agree with Angel in taking the 10 and letting the ins. deal with selling the wreckage. Grab your farkles and anything else that you can grab like top box thats in good shape and let her go...

10k (+ ?)

You're in good shape,more or less.

Buy back = salvage title here, don't know about Texas, but resale could be dicey.

Parting out sounds good, but one must really have patience and good timing to benefit.

I've seen '08 GT's at $13ish +TT&T, there are great deals on '04 1150's out there andyes, 1200's are getting lower priced too.

$.02

Get the best payout you can, move on.

Let us know which new bike you get.

Best wishes

Ahh, the experience of sliding towards the guard rail, preparing to bounce off it...and not needing to. :-)

You just made me flash back to July of last year. Similar incident, similar result- gear saved my hide.

I'm looking for a new bike right now- that's why I logged in here.

I'm happy you are alright, and they got the SOB.

Steve I read a little more of this thread.

I'm an independent adjuster (again... f-ing economy).

I parted my 04 when I wrecked it.

My unsolicited advice, having been there, done that- total that bike.

Unless you have lots of time to tear it apart and part it out (like I did, I happened to be unemployed when I wrecked) I'd sell it to Beemerboneyard or similar.

I am happy I parted mine out, it was my income for a while, but it was a job. It took a lot of hours in the garage, which I was happy about- but if I had a job at the time it would have been a real PITA. I still have odds and ends in boxes.

Feel free to PM me if you feel like talking to an insurance insider, who's also a rider, and who less than a year dealt with a wreck like this.

Steve,

After you get the report from the Sheriff's Office, contact the Columbia County State Attorney's Office about the charges. The attorney assigned to the case is the one that has the juice. Be polite but also speak with conviction about your experience. I'm confident - well, pretty sure - Florida will do the right thing.

update,

I settled with the ins co today and the bike will be picked up mon or tues. I took off everything I wanted. decided not to part it out-been there done that before and just didn't want to do it again. Surgery on my left shoulder in the morning :( Thanks again for all the advice and good wishes. The only thing I haven't done yet is contact the state's attorney about charges. A representative from U-haul called my house 2 days ago and wanted me to make a statement-I've called her back but haven't made contact yet. The accident report had no new info and the insurance listed was U-haul self insured. dui charges still pending results of urine test.

thanks again-talk to Y'all after the surgery.

wow, congratulations on getting through it with so little hurts.

I have travelled that stretch numerous times and it seems so safe less the dears.

On estimates of damage my car was slightly damaged by a too tight lane changer and first estimate by ins was 4k to fix it. FInal bill was 22k and I wondered at what pointthey would have totalled it. 70% is what they said.

On charges against the man, you may have to file them, on your own nickel and that stinks. Just because you did walk away alive from it he should not be able to "capitalize" on your skill and luck.

Good luck and get well

h

surgery on shoulder finished and went well. I'm enjoying my pain pills :)

later

Steve

Glad to hear you are "in recovery." Take care of yourself.

• 1 month later...

Archived