IGNORED

BMW Navigator-Garmin SPIII

BMWSTeve

I purchased a Garmin Street Pilot 3, used at a fair price. When I ordered the mounting hardware(R1200ST) from my dealer, he said ONLY the Navigator will fit the BMW GPS mount. IS HE BLOWING SMOKE? or is there an adaptor from Garmin I need?

TIA

I purchased a Garmin Street Pilot 3, used at a fair price. When I ordered the mounting hardware(R1200ST) from my dealer, he said ONLY the Navigator will fit the BMW GPS mount. IS HE BLOWING SMOKE? or is there an adaptor from Garmin I need?

Yes and no ... if I recall, later firmware updates for the SPIII disable the unit from working with the BMW mount. It is possible to use earlier firmware to circumvent this, but you'll obviously not have access to the improvements of the later versions.

Yes and no ... if I recall, later firmware updates for the SPIII disable the unit from working with the BMW mount. It is possible to use earlier firmware to circumvent this, but you'll obviously not have access to the improvements of the later versions.

The bodies of the SPIII and the Navigator 1 are identical so they both fit the same palstic mount.

The later BMWs come with Navigator 2, which is different.

I would use a Touratech mount. Much better and available in lockable version.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

This is actually what I'm thinking of ... the BMW four-button mount is incompatible with 26x0's running firmware newer than 3.90 ... sorry for the confusion (the SPIII already has buttons, right?).

This is actually what I'm thinking of ... the BMW four-button mount is incompatible with 26x0's running firmware newer than 3.90 ... sorry for the confusion (the SPIII already has buttons, right?).

yeah, I guess. I ordered the BMW stuff, because for a large GPS I think that is a better mount. With a RAM mount, I think I would use with a small GPS like a Quest. I am freaking a little bit, because the dealer charges a 20% restocking fee on special orders in case I don't like it.

Archived