IGNORED

12GS: Spoked vs Cast Wheels?

Joel

I know what BMW and the dealers/salespeople say about this, but what do you real-world riders have to say about it? I'm leaning toward spoked, despite the fact that most of my riding will be on pavement. What say ye?

I'm leaning toward spoked, despite the fact that most of my riding will be on pavement.

Despite ... or because? The spoked wheels handle the delicate subject of potholes in paved roads quite well ... more resistant to deformation than their cast cousins.

I've got spokes, but kind of wish I didn't. I know they are tougher and lighter, but my riding is 99% street and the spokes are a PITA to clean. Plus personally I like the looks of the cast better. I think if you are strictly street it comes down to looks preference more than anything. If you go off pavement then of course the spokes are the only way to go.

if you do mostly road riding... then it's all about preference

i have the spokes/will rarely go OFF road....

but, personally, i like the spoked looks better

but, that's just me

you can't go wrong with either

on the other hand, if you plan on serious offroading.... then you HAVE to get spoked wheels, really

greg

I'm leaning toward spoked, despite the fact that most of my riding will be on pavement.

Despite ... or because? The spoked wheels handle the delicate subject of potholes in paved roads quite well ... more resistant to deformation than their cast cousins.

Good point, and not one I'd thought of.

Aside from the extra cost and Ken's point about cleaning them (hardly unexpected from the King of Bling [J/K Ken grin.gif]), I'm not seeing much downside to spokes, yet. I prefer how they look on the bike, and there are miles of dirt in the hills west of here, and many places I'd like to visit again (like Burr Trail & Badlands NP) that are calling out to me.

Joel,

I wanted the cast wheels because I think they actually look better and I really didn't see myself getting into hairy situations off road that may have required spoked wheels. Plus the spoked wheels we're a $300.00 or so option. Long story short, the dealer only had spoke in stock and I was impulsive so that's what I got.

Guess what. The off road capabilities of the GS opened up new riding possibilities for me that I had never considered. I've passed through some spots where I was glad to have the spoke wheels. At least that is what my macho inner self tells me.

The Rocky mountains are full of excellent GS pathways, so my advice is to get the spoke wheels. That way all your bases are covered. thumbsup.gif

The spoked wheels make more roads available. And they are not that difficult to clean. The GS with cast wheels is like a cowboy wearing patent-leather shoes.

Joel....had cast wheels on my first 12GS this season and now spokes on my newest one. No contest. The spokes give a "plusher" ride, just feel better. Also, no contest in absorbing on-road pavement potholes and frost heave heads. Off-road, spokes are the thing. Money well spent. thumbsup.gif

The GS with cast wheels is like a cowboy wearing patent-leather shoes.

Alrighty then! As a Colorado State University (f/k/a "Colorado A&M") alum, I couldn't abide THAT! grin.gif

The cast are lighter than the spokes. The cast are nice looking wheels but you need spokes on a GS. IMHO

apparently Rider magazine weighed them and the front wheel weighs the same on both, and the rear spoke wheels weighs 2 lbs more than the cast wheel.. nothing you'd notice..

Archived