IGNORED

R1200ST 600 mile service

Ginger

Hey all my friends out there! My ST is approaching its 600 mile service. I called A&S today and the soonest I can get the bike in is two weeks out!!!! I did leave a voice message with our salesman to see if he can get me in sooner. Would I invalidate any warranties with BMW by not doing the 600 mile service with a dealer? What has to be done for the 600 mile service other than oil and oil filter replace? Is it all fluids - motor and transmission? One other thing - does anyone have a recommendation for a good/cheaper place to purchase the maintenance CD? If this service can by done by Tom and me without harming our warranty, please advise.

Thanks much! Ginger

It's my understanding that it is against the law for you to be required to go to the dealer for scheduled service. It only matters that it get done. That said, I had my 600 mile service at 1200 miles (2 weeks old, and I was away in my truck for 5 days). They changed the oil, torqued the heads, aligned the rockers, and adjusted the valves. Also check all other major torques and such.

Just do it yourself, if you are so inclined. Just document when and what mileage it was done.

BTW, the service manual doesn't have torque spec for the rockers, just good and snug. The dealer couldn't find it in all his on line hocus pocus either.

Archived