IGNORED

Marc Parnes Balancer for R1200GS/RT

ChrisE

Scott, we should definatley hook up at some time. I have a balance stand and balancer adaptor for a Ducati 996, but yesterday I changed a rear tire on a friends R1200GS and couldn't balance it. Since I've just bought a R1200RT, I figured I'd get the Marc Parnes setup but would liked to have seen what it actually consists of.

Anyway, after I placed the order, Marc emailed me and asked if I could take photos of it in use and send them to him.

Co, very good link...

Never really thought about this much... I guess the machines used for automotive tires made me think this was way more complicated...

So, unlike a car tire, does a motorcycle tire not require balancing on both sides? This seems to be the case, but harder to believe... perhaps due to a (typically) more narrow tire?

Eric,

All of the balancing instructions I looked at were variations on the same theme; that is, they suggested centering the weights equally around the centerline of the wheel.

I chose this balancer because of its compact size and simplicity. I don't use a stand, just two upside down 5 gallon plastic pails leveled with a spirit level. Works like a charm.

There are good instructions on the Marc Parnes website.

Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention that there is an adaptor plate that bolts to the rear wheel that is part of this setup.

Arrgh, that's more like it, I couldn't figure out how the cones were going to hold the wheel with the big hole it has in the center. The kit mentioned the adapter plate but I was hoping to see a picture of this before I bought.

But no to worry, the kit should be here by Friday.

Thanks

Interesting. I don't need that plate for the R1100S . . .

The rear wheel hub on the hex heads is nearly 3". The stock cones fall through, and a 3" cone would be silly, and expensive.

Interesting. I don't need that plate for the R1100S . . .

The rear wheel hub on the hex heads is nearly 3". The stock cones fall through, and a 3" cone would be silly, and expensive.

there goes bmw doing something again completely out of the norm and causing problems. so what happens when you have a 12 rt/gs and you need a new rear tire on the road. bmw dealers in alot of parts of the country are rare but a Japanese dealer (who is in every small town it seems)has your tire and size. then the mechanic looks at your hole and says i can't balance that. maybe i'm missing something, please enlighten me.

Co, very good link...

Never really thought about this much... I guess the machines used for automotive tires made me think this was way more complicated...

So, unlike a car tire, does a motorcycle tire not require balancing on both sides? This seems to be the case, but harder to believe... perhaps due to a (typically) more narrow tire?

i use a parnes balancer but i split the weights evenly on both sides of the rim for balance and looks.

this is my method.

-as per marc, find the heavy spot on the rim (no tire mounted). it will be the lowest point. the balancer works on gravity > heaviest at the bottom. the bearings are so smooth just mount it and let it spin(fall) to the lowest point (6 o' clock). mark this point.

-mount tire (with the dot, which is the lightest part of the tire, at the heaviest part of the rim) & let tire spin to the heaviest point. i find the tire doesn't need a spin, it will just spin with the heaviest point at the bottom.

-now the highest point (top/12 o' clock) is the light spot and you'll add weight here. mark the high spot.

-using motion pro weights, temporarily tape them (scotch tape) at the light point. start with 2 (1 on either side).

-now spin tire & position the weights at 3 o' clock. let it go. if the weights spin towards the top, you need more weight, if they spin to the bottom to have too much.

-continue on if you need to add weight. add 1 at a time alternating sides.

-when you get to the point when the tire does not spin when the weights are at 3 o' clock, the tire is mostly in balance.

-spin it slowly and see if it stops (the weights) in different places. if the (original) heavy spot is still at the bottom add 1 more weight. this should be it.

-now remove the weights & scotch tape. clean the rim with rubbing alcohol. remove the weight tape backing (i like to heat the rim first with a hair drier to assure a great adheasion). attach weights.

-check the balance. sometimes when the weight of the scotch tape and the weight tape backing is removed, it throws of the balance (make the weight area lighter). 1 more weight might be needed. i've had to cut the last weight one in half before to get it exact.

-done & it's a fun thing to do and VERY satisfing.

Archived