IGNORED

PIAA 1100x? Lower cost direct replacment?

SDMike

Got a under the oil-cooler mount from a board member sans lights.

I don't feel like paying the $170 for the 1100x-s on ebay.

Anyone got a lower cost, equally as good replacment?

:ear

M

I got some lights that carry the Pilot label. Do a search on those. Cost me $70 Canadian. I was disappointed in the light that came from them and added some FF50's on EMP brackets. Now I am happy. I would like to compare with a set of PIAAs one day though.

Anyone got a lower cost, equally as good replacment?

:ear

M

I know what you mean I was in the same boat. I made my own bracket that puts the lights on the outside of the oil cooler and on the outside of the front fender. I did the wireing including dash mounted switch and a relay and figure I can connect ANY lights to it. So I started with $20 fog lights from Walmart. They make a big difference compared just to OEM lights. I'm going to replace headlight bulb with PIAA replacement and see if I can tell the difference (about $30) . Since I don't know any one locally who has PIAA lights installed I can't compare their lights with my $20 set, but I can tell that my lights make a big difference on my bike.

Mark

Adding to this question... what makes 1100's so much better than the less expensive Pilots or similar Auto supply lights of the same dimensions?

Not necessarily whether they are better or not I want to know why they are... assuming they are in fact better and brighter

Some of the inexpensive lights have plastic lenses and housings. Not that it means it's a bad thing, but it is a less expensive part. Coupled with UV, the plastic will degrade and become brittle. The PIAA's are glass lens and metallic housing. I can attest to the durability difference when I bounced the SUV into a snow drift, peeling off the cheapie Wally-world brand fog lightst and leaving the PIAA driving lights intact (although slightly mis-aimed).

Optically, the PIAA's have a very good light pattern over the cheaper brands, have very little stray light, are extremely bright, and very durable. Side-by-side comparison with the PIAA's on my ride with a buddy's Motolights prompted him to buy a pair of 1100's.

Yeah, I'm biased since I chose the PIAA's, but I did a lot of research before plunging the bucks.

the spread patterns of lights will make a big difference. for example, you can buy the FF50's in a fog light or a driving light. the fog light will give you a wider pattern but won't penetrate out farther than your headlight. the driving light pattern will light the world out ahead, but is less effective (but still very effective) out to the sides. YMMV.

I'm going to replace headlight bulb with PIAA replacement and see if I can tell the difference (about $30) .

Mark: (Hijack) I personally don't believe PIAA bulbs are worth the money. I tried a pair of PIAA H4s in my Subaru and they both burned out in less than one year. And They're expensive.

Last year, a British MC magazine (RiDE?? I think) did a multi-bulb comparison. One of the top-ranking bulbs was the Philips VisionPlus bulb; another bulb that ranked high was the Sylvania SilverStar. Other bulbs that did well were names I am not familiar with and may be available only in Europe.

After my expen$ive PIAA H4s burned out on my car, I replaced them with Philips VisionPlus. My son, a mechanical engineer, poo-poos the whole notion of puting in brighter headlight bulbs (he's young and still has good eyes!) When I put the VisionPlus bulbs in, he immediately noticed the improved brightness and approved of the change.

Finally, the PIAAs (usually) get their improved performance by drawing more electricity (and generating more heat). This can melt some headlight reflectors. Both the Philips VisionPlus and Sylvania SilverStars draw the same electrical load as OEM; these achieve their greater brightness through technology and efficiency.

FWIW.

Blue Beemer Dude

Well, is the question to add PIAA driving lights or replace the headlight bulb? Two different scenarios.

I too bought some $30 Pep Boys lights, to supplement the stock (and pathetic) lighting, and they made an improvement. Then I bought some proper PIAA 1100x lights and installed those. Oh mah gawd! People think a plane is landing, these things are so bright! It is awesome. Worth the money? Well, duh! thumbsup.gif If you want to see where you are going...

I think what you are paying for is a combination of the quality of the lenses, the housing, the bulb, the reflector, the wiring harness and of course, the name.

Michael

I looked for low cost alternatives also. I finally bit the bullet and mounted 1100's on Martin Fab. brackets. These things are incredible. I'm pretty sure you won't even come close to the real thing with cheaper lights. You've got to pay the fiddler if you want to dance, eh?

Tim,

I totally agree with your assessment on replacement headlight bulbs. The Philips are notably brighter. And, it's no surprise that the Sylvania are up there, too, as I think Philips and Sylvania are part of the same company.

After the PIAA 1100 install, I wouldn't waste my money on the headlight except to replace a burnt out lamp.

Archived