IGNORED

Best suit or jacket/pants for riding in the cold and wet (30-60F)

mikeR

What do you guys recommend for a mostly cold/rainy weather setup? I'm considering an Aerostich, but I'm reading that they aren't as warm as some suits. I want something that is as easy as possible to get off and on, and I've not come up with anything that appears to compete with Aerostich in that department.

Any suggestions besides a Roadcrafter that are:

1. Good in the cold

2. Very waterproof

3. Easy to get off and on

I can thoroughly recommend the BMW Streetguard 2 jacket and pants. They are highly waterproof, with the Goretex layer built in so that no water passes through the outer layer (some suits let water through and it is the Goretex liner that then keeps you dry, outer layer then being soaking wet). Have kevlar reinforcement for abrasion resistance, and have zip in/out liners for jacket and pants plus removable storm collar... also have storm cuffs. In warmer times can open up vents under arms for increased ventilation. Jacket and pants are available as separates so can get the best size to fit. Have used one for about 6 months, including 300 miles in torrential rain and was completely dry at end of journey. Not cheap but a good bit of kit and for once don't feel like I have just paid extra for something with a BMW badge on it!!! If I was buying again tomorrow I'd get another one (in fact have bought a set for my wife)

What do you guys recommend for a mostly cold/rainy weather setup?

Any suggestions besides a Roadcrafter that are:

1. Good in the cold

2. Very waterproof

3. Easy to get off and on

If you talk to the Aerostich folks, they will tell you the Darien jacket is a better option for cold weather like we have up here in the Great White North.

I love BMW's riding gear; it has the best style IMHO, but it's also expensive. A less expensive option to Aerostich and BMW riding gear is the First Gear Kilimanjaro. It has a quilted liner. Add an e-vest and you're good for temps below freezing. I have found the Kilimanjaro completely waterproof (at least behind the fairing of my R1150RT).

A less expensive option to Aerostich and BMW riding gear is the First Gear Kilimanjaro. It has a quilted liner. Add an e-vest and you're good for temps below freezing. I have found the Kilimanjaro completely waterproof (at least behind the fairing of my R1150RT).

I've been very happy with a FirstGear Voyager jacket and pants. Not as good in warm weather as the Kilimanjaro (fewer vents) but plenty warm with a fleece shirt and electric vest on cold days. Both jacket and pants have insulated liners. The pants are a little bulky and clumsy getting on and off but are okay otherwise. Waterproof and has adequate pockets.

I'm liking the idea of a 1 piece and I think I'm going to give the Fieldsheer Highland suit a try. Any comments on that suit? A search brings up mostly positive reviews.

I really want to go Aerostich, but I found the FS for $230ish at kneedraggers and I can't see spending 3x that on a Roadcrafter.

Aerostich Darien jacket and pants. thumbsup.gif Get the fleece or electric fleece liner for jacket. Held "Hawk" cold weather gloves complement the ensemble. All Gortex, all warm, all dry, all the time. Good armor too. I've been in the cold, the wet, and the cold/wet and have been very comfortable. Take out the liner, open the vents, and the jacket is good for 90 to 100 degrees too. I used to have three coats and a couple of sets of pants to cover the whole weather spectrum. I'm down to one set of gear that does it all. Price is horrific but the stuff is a bargain based on quality and performance.

Wife & I have the Belstaff Discovery two piece suit. Very nice and highly protective.

Even nicer is to use the Gerbing liner instead of the Belstaff one. Then you can cover 70 degrees down to ?.

Make sure the pants have removable liner too. This way, you can make the suit work in more temps.

ShovelStrokeEd

I don't know about 'best'. Belstaff Discovery with Gerbings liner is pretty hard to beat. I don't think they make 'em any more but there should be a similar product. I have been down into the teens with this setup.

I often run around with my BMW Airflow suit in temperatures down into the 30's. Wind shirt on top of Gerbings liner for the jacket and just sweat pants of windstopper material with a fleece lining on the legs. If its gonna be wet I add my BMW Klima Komofort Rain suit for an additional layer of warmth and water protection.

Ditto for the Aerostitch Roadcrafter one piece although instead of just a wind shirt, I'll wear a wind fleece over top of the Gerbings.

Notice the one common item in all the threads, including mine? Yep, the solution to cold weather is in the Gerbings jacket liner. The Aerostitch one is pretty good as well although I have no direct experience. I also have a BMW new style 'carbon' heated vest that is quite effective if the temps are not too low, say, above 45 degrees F.

None of those outfits are what I would call inexpensive. I think RoadGear stuff represents a very good value for the money. I'm only basing this on a pair of overpants I have had for a couple of years, but they gave me pretty good service. The armour could use an upgrade, IMHO but that is pretty cheap.

Archived