IGNORED

If not your BMW than what......

twray

Years back Honda's ST bikes and Yamaha's FJR bikes would have been on my radar. Around 1980 Suzuki's shaft drive 850cc and 1000c bikes would have been looked at. Today a Honda NT700 would get a very close look. I sat on it at the bike show and liked it.

Honda ST1300. I tried to buy one but they had teething problems and the dealer couldn't get one so I bought an RT. Boy am I glad.

V-Strom 650 or Kawasaki Versys. The RT is right at the limit for someone my size, although I do enjoy the adjustable windshield, heated grips, 7 gallon gas tank, and suspension of the RT.

I have KAW KZ1300 in my shop that I just finished restoring as a backup. And then there is a Suzi Water Buffalo 750 next to it.But 1200RT is the one that takes me places.

GT

Vicious_Cycler

Sold my RT and replaced it with a Ducati ST3. In the new model department, the 2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200s Touring looks mighty enticing!

More'n likely I'd still be bouncing around on my '78 R100/7. Or not - the only things holding it together was the crud and gunk.

An aquaintance of mine had a one year old '03 or '04 concours that I admired quite a bit (considering I was riding that old R100...). He traded it in all of a sudden, and they wanted $4K for it at the shop. About a year later I got a co-worker's '96 1100RSL for $5K with saddlebags *full* of parts and junk, and only 20K on the clock.

I dunno - I think I got a better deal. whadda you think?

After 44 years? Like some old prison convict, life inside BMW (with all my peeves) seems better than anything else outside I could imagine... um, except beautiful Guzzis.

Like the stock market, my alternatives are not so much different picks as different classes, something different than literbike-sport-touring. I've been suppressing the urge to ride off-road for quite a while. Or do ISDT tricks (what is that called today?). Ride over logs and boulders. On grass. Do wheelies. Break an arm or leg.

If you had not or could not by your BMW, than what would you have bought?

After BMW, it doesn't matter as long as it has two wheels.

Yes, I drink the koolaid.

:grin:

More'n likely I'd still be bouncing around on my '78 R100/7. Or not - the only things holding it together was the crud and gunk.

An aquaintance of mine had a one year old '03 or '04 concours that I admired quite a bit (considering I was riding that old R100...). He traded it in all of a sudden, and they wanted $4K for it at the shop. About a year later I got a co-worker's '96 1100RSL for $5K with saddlebags *full* of parts and junk, and only 20K on the clock.

I dunno - I think I got a better deal. whadda you think?

I think you did.

I've liked the wee-stroms I've tested. Possibly the new CBF1000 Honda. Currently the ST1300 (nice travelling but a bit heavy around town). K75RT - oh wait, that's a BMW isn't it?.

Test rode a Goldwing a few years back & was grinning ear to ear the whole time. Had a real nice sound & it handled very well. BMW spoiled me with the powered windscreen though. Hey Honda, 2011??

:grin:

Pat

Tough question. I'd seriously think about going back to the 'old' Concours. I had a '98 for a couple of years and it was a great all-around bike, and low-tech enough that it was pretty easy to work on.

Otherwise I'd probably try to find a trashed ZX-10R or other liter bike and 'tourfighter' it. Higher handlebars, some sort of windshield and some rudimentary luggage and I could do short-distance touring pretty easily.

Joe Frickin' Friday
If you had not or could not by your BMW, than what would you have bought?

If it were not for the R1100RT, I probably would not have gotten into motorcycling.

One day back in 1998 a friend let me take his antique Triumph around the block, which kind of aroused my interest in motorcycles. The next day another friend and I were killing time, browsing the web, checking out bikes. All the bikes I saw made me go "meh" until I laid eyes on the R1100RT, at which point I went "WHOA."

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=4828&filename=BMW R 1100 RT II.jpg

Some people (including my uncle, a GL1800 owner) think the RT was the ugliest bike ever made, but to me, it was uniquely stunning. At the time, its specs made it really stand out:

-ABS

-heated grips

-electrically adjustable windshield

-fuel injection, 3-way cat

-single-sided swingarm

-Telelever front suspension

Some of these things were available on other bikes, but nothing out there at the time had all of this. In fairly short order I knew I would end up owning one

Six months after my brief spin on my friend's Triumph (after graduating and getting a job), I bought the RT - my first bike. Had I not laid eyes on it on the web, it's doubtful any other bike would have captured my interest enough to compel me to purchase it.

As a replacement for my R1150RS it would be the Moto Guzzi Norge.

On the flip side life is short. They don't make the FXRS or FXRT anymore so those are out. Just talking new bikes one time I would like own a HD Super Glide. I don't know how long I'd keep it but I'd like to say I had owned one.

pROLLY a ZX14 with soft bags...or a Z1000 for sportin' around town. My '06 Trumpy Sprint ST was the nuts.! Loved it.!

Hec, maybe even the new Duc-Waddy MultiStrada..loving that thing even just the pix.

HubbaHubba

If not my R1200GS it would have to be an F800ST. Oh that's a BMW too!!!

The only alternative for a short arse like me would be the Honda NT700V Deauville. Not exciting but perfectly capable of doing all of my commuting and touring duties - leaving my pretty little Ducati S2R800 for playing on.

The ST1300 and Kawasaki 1400 are way to heavy and powerful for what I need.

Sorry for the bad grammar last night, I had a few glasses of

Cabernet, and was posting quickly.

Most of you guys did understand the intent of my post and I appreciate the replies.

That was Merlot grammar, not Cabarnet grammer.

But the other bike I considered for the mission I assigned to my RT was either a Harley Electra Glide or Road Glide. I'm glad I chose the RT.

Most of you guys did understand the intent of my post and I appreciate the replies.

No need to apologize. This isn't an English class. It's an internet forum. Judging by the number of responses, you asked a question that has sparked some interest.

It looked like Scotchology to me, but my man eddd has made a good point.

:wave:

I know for some it might overlap a bit much in mission profile, but If not for my beloved RT (my appreciation for the model is similar to Mitch's), I'd own a VFR....oh, wait, I do own a '01 VFR....I am a happy man! :)

I have to admit though, that Ed's experiences have drawn my interest in the direction of the VFR's big brother, the Blackbird.

Archived