IGNORED

Best Place To Get Tires

marcopolo

Doing some planning since I have the time; would Sierra BMW in Sparks NV be my best bet for getting a set of tires for my RT if I needed them (don't know for sure yet whether I will, but it's a long haul there and back home, including two weeks around CA with my wife after the Un)?

Order and presend them to me if you like. You can go to Sierra, Cycle Specialties, or A&S. All would be relatively "local."

We might even be able to swing a local who has a change set up to make it available so you can save all the labor money.

Anyone????

I am going to be bringing my truck and trailer along so I will have plenty of space to accept and transport anyones tires, supplies, luggage that they would care to have drop shipped my way!!!!

I'll also handle mailing anything back for the mere cost of the actual shipping.

I will have a No-Mar tire changer at the Unrally site.

edit:

I can also accept pre-shipped tires.

edit2:

Sierra will do a fine job of changing tires, but do not expect bargain prices on either the tires or the labor.

Thanks for the replies (and offers), but I have no mechanical skills to speak of so I won't consider changing them myself (and I wouldn't impose that on anyone else either). Given that Sierra is a reputable dealer I'll "pencil" them in, if I know I'll need a set. I don't mind paying so long as they're dependable, and I know you're in their neck of the woods, Michael. I've certainly had good luck with them in terms of buying riding gear online.

• 2 weeks later...

also keep in mind, my last two trips to that riding area, Gunnison, CO UN and Oregon UN, it seemed that I used tires at a much higher rate than I do back east. It maybe the heat, or the type of roads etc, but I would be conservative on the amount of tire mileage you might expect. I know I plan on putting on about 3,000 miles for this UN, and I will be putting on brand new tires (i.e. maybe only a 100 miles scuff in) before I trailer the bike out to Fort Collins, CO. I do not expect much tire life left when I get back to Fort Collins, CO.

Just a reminder you might get considerable less mileage in the heat of Nevada, CA and UT, then you get up in Canada, or East of the Mississippi.

• 1 month later...

SWmoto in Tucson, Arizona can install on site. They are a large mail order tire firm. They also mail order and can ship to a location of your choice. The prices are good and shipping is free for two tires. Check their web site and see if it works for you. I live in Mount Vernon, Wa. north of Seattle about 60 miles and will be glad to change and balance your tires for you if you are going home this way. It takes about 3 days for tires to get to me from SWmoto. Things can be worked out. (unless I am on the road!) beech snipesb(at)cnw.com

Thanks all for the advice and offers. Since my friend and I will be riding to Reno on Tuesday the 13th to pick our wives up at the airport at 11:35, I've made an appointment at Sierra BMW to have a set of Pilot Road 2's installed (along with an oil&filter change) for 9:00 a.m. that morning. Interestingly, Scott (service manager) asked if I was going to the rally. Turns out he was referring to the MOA rally in Redmond. He expected to be fairly busy on the 13th with rally-goers stopping in without appointments. Apparently that's what happened the last time the rally was held in Redmond.

• 4 weeks later...

Sage; that sounds good that you will have your tire change setup there, depending on wear i think it will be much appreciated to be able to change a tire there,

Archived