IGNORED

Fixing a Roady 2

SteveHebert

My Roady 2 has been shorting one ear out for about a month now. When I pushed on the plug, both ears would work, but as pressure was released, only one would work. I took the thing apart using a T7 torx bit and foud that 2 of the solder joints were craked on the earplug "plug-in" housing. I re-soldered them and reassembled. Viola!!!! She no more shorts out. 2 minutes worth of work.

Hope this helps others.

That is pretty good time for dismantling,resoldering and putting back together.

I took mine back to Circuit City where my girlfriend had bought it for me along with an ext warranty. They gave me a new unit and a $40 voucher because of a price change.

I thought about that. The main source of the problem is the cheap solder joint and the abuse it takes from plugging and unplugging. I heard a comment at my BB&B from one of the guests that basically said the unit could handle up to 25 plug and unplugs. That was from XM. I am not sure of the validity of the quote, but it seems right. I only unplug to protect it from weather. Does anyone know if it can handle getting wet, say a driving rain?

I have a recurring issue with my Roady2 as well... keeps turning off. the plug isn't backing out but applying pressure to it (the plug) either fwd or back keeps it on. Only happens sometimes though. The plug must not be making contact the way it should.

I'd bet that the Roady wouldn't hold up all that great to the elements, only evidence I have to support that is that there are aftermarket bits out there (rain covers) made to protect it (an indirect proof). I dunno. eek.gif

I would not expect the Roady 2 to hold up to the weather. It is not marketed as being water proof. If it rains, I put a plastic bag over mine and secure it with a rubber band.

However, the quality of the connector jacks is disappointing. It IS marketed as a unit that you can move from place to place.

I bit the bullet and bought one for less than $40 to keep on the motorcycle permanently to avoid these problems. Of course, there is the monthly cost of the subscription. I have not had any problems, with a few thousand miles of use, except for the antenna plug coming loose. I easily fixed that by gently bending the metal prongs.

Bob how do you secure it on the bike to prevent theft?

I don't. It is a risk I assume. I don't see the value to someone of stealing it. I would cancel the subscription, and it would be worthless to them. I would buy a new one for $39.

A lot of my riding is commuting, and my company has its own HQ building with a secured parking garage that requires key card access to enter. It is monitored with security cameras. So it is fairly safe at work.

Archived