IGNORED

Darien vs Tour Master Advanced

johnlt

I have a Darien and it seems bullet proof but not particularly comfortable. I've had it over a year now with several thousand miles and one washing on it but other than the status symbol of "stich", I really don't particularly like it. I have been looking for a Belstaf Discovery XL for 6 months not but can't find one so I've started looking for alternatives. I like the looks and features of the Tour Master Advanced jacket but it seems really cheap (too good to be true) so I'm trying to get some opinions on it from folks who have one. Are they really waterproof? Are they "flexible" and comfortable. Any other comments would also be appreciated.

I have a Tourmaster Advance jacket that I recently wore on an Alaska trip. That jacket along with my Darien pants made an excellent combination. The jacket (with zero break-in time) proved to be very comfortable in a wide range of conditions. The design of the jacket is very well thought out: waterproof, with lots of pockets, good protection, and the venting is effective. I wouldn't want to try and wear it during a Houston summer - anything over 85'F I use a mesh jacket and pants.

I chose the sport length instead of the 3/4 length model (The longer 3/4 jackets tend to bulk up while sitting on the bike). My only complaint about the Tourmaster Advance is that the collar does not fit around my neck snugly enough, it tends to leave a small gap.

Peter

I have a Darien and it seems bullet proof but not particularly comfortable. I've had it over a year now with several thousand miles and one washing on it but other than the status symbol of "stich", I really don't particularly like it. I have been looking for a Belstaf Discovery XL for 6 months not but can't find one so I've started looking for alternatives. ...

I got a Belstaff Discovery the first of the year and have been wearing it all year except for when the temps are over 80 or so when I switch to mesh. Great jacket. Very solid construction, and no problem in wet weather. With the zip-in liner I was warm riding in 30 degress early last spring. But I still haven't figured out what all the pockets and snaps and loops etc. do :-)

I bought mine at the British Motorcycle Gear booth at the NYC show in January, but they're also online at http://britishmotorcyclegear.com/detail.asp?Product_ID=2002

Archived