IGNORED

12RT fuel capacity and mileage.

cjmkerns

Well, guys,

In doing a couple of fillups with the bike at or very close to the ---- miles left indication, I found my bike takes 5.8 gallons. Appearently, the 0 or ---- means you are going on reserve.

Thursday I took the bike 48 miles into the reserve before filling up (321.5 miles by the way!) and the bike took 6.905 gallons. My mileage on that tank was then 46.5 mpg. Not bad, and it is good to know that on my bike I can, in a pinch, run a gallon's worth of miles after the ---- shows up.

Anyone else done a similar test to try to find your fuel limits?

Yeah, I'm in the middle of doing it these last couple of days while on the road. Similar results to yours, but it also depends on speed/headwind. I took one tank to a little over 300 miles, but it take 6.8 gals to refill.

I have had my 12rt for one week now 800 miles and hae noticed thw same thing.

The fuel tank seemw to have about one gallon left when the BC would read 0

Filled it up when the mileage indicator read 40 miles only took 5 gallons, gas mileage indicators reads 45 - 50 miles per gallon.

The Inscrutible “Bordcomputer”

Now let me opine on the trip computer (the “BC” button — Bordcomputer, which is German for “on board computer” — the button on the right handlebar). It offers several items of information in the LCD panel, such as MPG since set, miles-to-empty, average MPH since set, ambient temperature, and engine oil level. This info is both helpful and disturbing — the latter because some of it is dead wrong. Worst appears to be the oil level indicator. It has a “” mark for o.k. oil level, “-----” for something else, and “<!>” for oil too low. Trouble is, all these indicators can show up in a single short ride. Therefore, when you see “<!>” you think the engine might be about to blow up, but the oil level may be just fine. So you cannot trust it and must rely on the sight glass. If I was ordering a new R1200RT, I would not get the oil level indicator because it causes unnecessary worry.

The thermometer is also inaccurate because it reads between 5° and 10° Fahrenheit too low all the time. Either mount a separate remote thermometer or assume it is about 5- 8° warmer than what the LCD indicates.

When the miles-to-empty reads “-----”, meaning theoretically that you are out of gas, you actually have about a gallon left — so it, too, is inaccurate. Other riders report you can ride 40-45 miles more after this indicator suggests you are out of fuel. So when you get the “-----” reading, I guess it means you should think about looking for a gas station.

So why bother with the optional trip computer? Knowing and allowing for its limitations, I find the alleged miles-to-empty useful. I also like the resettable MPG display — the latter, surprisingly, being pretty accurate as well as entertaining .

The trouble with the On Board computer is that it is so variable between machines. The oil warning check works VERY well on mine but this appears to be the exception(BTW the ----- means that it hasn't carried out a check yet and, to be fair, the warning is not that it is too low but that it is time to think about topping up).

The temperature gauge is a bit low on mine but nothing like the problems reported by others (max difference is about 5 degrees but usually around 2 or 3).

MPG is overoptimistic and seems to have only 3 readings.

Average mph I haven't the slightest idea.

The miles to go goes along quite happily and then over the last 100 miles plunges alarmingly (i.e 100 miles to go to 0 miles to go takes about 40 miles on the road with the fuel reserve light coming on when roughly 50 miles to go is indicated) and then it only takes about 23 litres to fill up (27 litre tank). So fairly useless.

Paul

There have been a number of threads about the 12RT BC since the bike first came out, to which I've added a high-pitched whine a few times, especially as regards the oil warning. However, over time, I've learned the BC quirks and my oil warning seemed to settle down with miles - it's now far less irritating, and occasionally even helpful. Eventually you'll start automatically adjusting for the computer's idiosyncrasies, getting useful info from it from time to time and ignoring the blasted thing the rest of the time. Maybe we should just be glad the bikes didn't get that i-drive thingy like the poor cars. Good grief. eek.gif

Thursday I took the bike 48 miles into the reserve before filling up (321.5 miles by the way!) and the bike took 6.905 gallons. My mileage on that tank was then 46.5 mpg.
That is a smilar result to what I got on my last fillup. I went 325 miles on 6.9 gallons. However, I went only 20 miles after the computer said zero miles left. I have gone as far as 40 miles after zero. BMWRA was able to get 7.4 gallons in the RT they had for their extended road test. My guess is that 40 miles after zero is the furthest I will ever push it. Your ultimate limit is probably about 65 miles after zero.

Just another data point. 800 miles on the new RT grin.gif Last tank - BC says 48mpg. 5.95 gal's 287 miles. Close enough for me! 230 miles of it 2up, w/bags and trunk, near max load. Some back roads, in 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. On it some, too. Mind if I say I love this bike? thumbsup.gif Finest kind! I had a hard time seeing the FJR drive away - but this bike is far and away the nicest bike I've ever owned (even including the r100 I had years ago)

I'm looking forward to seeing you all on the road!

All the best,

Mike

Hi Mike,

You'll be glad to know your mileage will actually go up as the miles go up. Well, that's how my RT has been. The mileage (47mpg) I have gotten recently has been all commuting and running around town. Lot's of stop and go traffic. On the highway it does even better. Closer to 50mpg if I keep it under 85mph. BTW if you're headed to the BMWRAlly in Tennessee perhaps I'll see you there. Texas plates, big trunk, no radio, and blue springs on the shocks (Wilbers). Finally, I don't know if you meant you owned a FJR1300 or were considering one, but I have already fed one to my RT in the Ozarks. He didn't stay with me through the first turn. Neither did the K1200RS rider who was with him. Yeah, I love my RT too. grin.gif

Well, guys,

In doing a couple of fillups with the bike at or very close to the ---- miles left indication, I found my bike takes 5.8 gallons. Appearently, the 0 or ---- means you are going on reserve.

Thursday I took the bike 48 miles into the reserve before filling up (321.5 miles by the way!) and the bike took 6.905 gallons. My mileage on that tank was then 46.5 mpg. Not bad, and it is good to know that on my bike I can, in a pinch, run a gallon's worth of miles after the ---- shows up.

Anyone else done a similar test to try to find your fuel limits?

Pretty much the same thing for me.

With the Board Computer showing 0 miles left, it took 5.8 gallons to fill up.

I'm glad you posted. Gives me confidence that there's still some fuel left. clap.gif

I spoke to Klaus at Wilbers USA yesterday. I'm not ESA...

I had an 05 FJR (Wilbers on it), sold it with just under 6K miles - great bike. I like the feel of the RT better. Loved the torque monster rush of the FJR, though.....

My BC was saying 6 miles left, or so. So, I too am glad to know the mileage is so good, and there is a good buffer in the tank. smile.gif It's good to know it will get even better! Thanks, Scott!

all the best,

Mike

It's good to know it will get even better! Thanks, Scott!
You bet Mike. Oh, you will love your RT even more once you get the Wilbers. Be sure to be clear to Klaus how stiff you want the spring setup. If you simply tell him your weight I think Wilbers bases the spring rate on a "touring" profile. That is softer. I sent my rear back to him for a stiffer spring. Turn around time was very quick. Klaus will do whatever it takes to make sure your happy with the shock. I did pay for shipping but that was it. Klaus did not charge for the labor or the spring. I highly recommend buying a set of Wilbers from Klaus. Take care and ride safe!

Archived