IGNORED

Tankbag with a Quick-Lock Gascap Mounting System

Kinsley

ShovelStrokeEd

Marsee makes a similar system called the Corona, I believe.

Nice if you are going to get off the bike to refuel but, I don't think they make one for offset filler necks like on the GS.

AFIK, the Big Mak system is the best in town for that and it has the added advantage, if you are running electronics in the bag, of not having to disconnect to fuel up.

Hi Ed,

I saw the Marsee bag and it looks like it works by magnet only. I just don't feel like it's secure with a magnet only, but maybe I need to look a little closer.

The 1200GS filler neck is not offset like the 650GS, so a centered bag would work.

I like the Big Mak and have one on my wife's 1150R, but I wanted to look at other options first. Placement of my GPS could get in the way of flipping the Big Mak up for fuel anyway.

The bag I started this link with could be taken off the filler cap and laid up on the bars for refueling without disconecting electronics since there's just one pin to pull out for release.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Ken

ShovelStrokeEd

I think you are correct that the Marsee setup is by magnet only but wrong in thinking its anything to worry about. I test rode a bike so equipped and it had plenty of stuff in it and bumpy roads to boot. The bag moved far less than my Big Mak does. My only objection was the price but really its on par with the BM.

My buddy's got a small bag with the SW-Motech mount on his FJR and is happy with it so far (he hasn't had it very long). I'm a little concerned about how much of it is plastic, but they're making some strong plastics these days.

Somebody else (I've forgotten who) on Jamie's 343 Mile Remembrance Ride had a Marsee Corona mount, and I examined it. It's actually a twist-lock mount, with ramps and magnets used to hold the twist-lock closed. It seemed pretty secure.

I have one and love it. It's a quick and easy install, and holds all I need. It's great for the price. I originally was going to go with the Marsee magnetic, but didn't want to shell out all that $$. Plus, some have reported issues with magnetic types of bags.

Hi Ed,

I saw the Marsee bag and it looks like it works by magnet only.

Nope. I just saw one of Marsee's magnetic tank bags and it attaches to the bike using a magnetic AND twist-lock mechanism.

My friend's R1150RT has this Marsee tank bag. A magnetic collar (surrounding the gas cap) is bolted on to the tank, using the same holes (I believe) as the OEM gas cap collar. The Marsee magnetic collar is higher than the gas tank, so the tank bag does not touch the gas tank. On the bottom of the tank bag is a male 'plug' that fits into the collar. You insert the plug into the magnetic collar and lock the tank bag into place by rotating the tank bag 45 or 90 degrees.

The 'magentic' tank bag is held in place by magnetism AND a locking mechanism.

It looked really slick to me and if I did not have an OEM BMW tank bag for my RT, I would buy the Marsee.

FWIW.

Tim

Hi Kinsley,

I have the Engage Touring bag on an '04 RT. I like it so far.

Pluses: Hard sides, reasonably spacious, useful compartments, appealing shape/design, material looks durable, does not touch the tank, easy to put on and off, can buy accesories such as map case and GPS holder, does not bump your horn at full turn, can customize its position on the tank

Cons: Installation (need to drill through the bag), cannot be expanded in size, electrification is not simple process

It works well for storing glasses, gloves, electronics, and other small items.

Best,

Gojeb

Hi Goji,

Thanks for your thoughts.

Do you find opening the bag from the front instead of the rear to be cumbersome?

Did you electrify the case fron the front?

Thanks, Ken

Hi Kinsley,

(Dis)engaging the bag from the top is easy. Actually, the first time I installed the bag I had mistakenly dopeslap.gif oriented it such that the pull-tab to release the bag was facing the seat instead of the dash. Even so, I could easily pull the tab to disengage the bag. When I eventually installed the bag correctly (pull-tab oriented towards the dash) I could (dis)engage the bag with a gentle tug on the pull-tab even when the steering column is in full lock position.

As to electrification, I do not think the back side (narrow tapered end) is the better approach. This is because there is a small zippered compartment at the edge of tapered end that is useful for storing small items such as money or earplugs or earphones. There is a barrier between this compartment and the main compartment which will presumably house most of your electronic gear. Electrification from the back side will not only render useless the small zippered compartment, but you'll also have to make holes in the barrier between this small compartment and the main compartment. Thus, I think electrification from the front is your better approach. Also, there appears to be zippered slit in the front, that is too small to be a compartment for storing anything, through which you can perhaps route your wires into the main compartment.

That said, I have not yet electrified my bag. I am still exploring a couple of options for electrification kits.

Best,

Gojeb

i own a marsee corona 11 liter. i love it!!! stays on rock solid even when loaded & fully expanded (see pic). come on and off so fast. when it's off the mounting base doesn't look funky or out of place (this is why i didn't get the big mak > that's a great bag otherwise). i went with the 11 because i heard reports that the larger one (mr pockets) gets in the way of the bars at lock. the 11 liter fits perfect & this is all the room i need. for me it's the best bag for the rt.

568941-IMG_0218.jpg.9f5f5364732db5786670bd4ee0288135.jpg

from what i've read the swmoto quick release requires you to reach around the front of the bag and pull the release tab. one report said it was akward while he was on the bike & the pull tab was hard to grab with bulky gloves on.

see this page for pics:

http://bags-connection.com.server212-han.de-nserver.de/oxid.php/lang/1

just one man's opnion though. the marsee only requires a twist of the bag (grab it anywhere) and can be acomplished from you being in any location on or off the bike. i thought about the sw design for a bit and bought the marsee.

I have not tried dis(engaging) the bag while I was on the bike with thick gloves. I have gassed up w/o dismounting a couple of times with summer gloves on. Pulling the tab was not a problem. Eakin’s point, however, is well-taken. I suppose fiddling with pull-tabs or buttons for that matter with thick gloves might be awkward. If it turns out to be a problem I’ll put a knobby knot on the pull-tab.

Archived