IGNORED

Oil Filter

Paul Wilson

Does anyone know the filters that will enterchange on a K1200. Thanks Paul

Howdy Paul! I don't know if you mean other brands of filters, or if other BMW filters interchange...

I'm a cheap A$$, just ask my wife...still, the cost of an original BMW filter is cheap enough not to cause me a great deal of stress. I buy three or four at time with the requisite crush washer and don't look back. One always stays in my saddle bag in case I decide to drop out of life and ride away...at least I've got a filter for the road! thumbsup.gif

Don't cheap out on filters man; remember they're INSIDE the engine, so you don't want any paint, labels, etc. on them.

Buy a few from big dealers like Bob's and you'd end up paying about $6 a pop; cheap insurance.

AMSOil SMF 122

EMGO 10-26740

Fram PH6063

Purolator ML16825

Do some research here before you make your mind up. Personally, like JC and Allen, I'd stick with the BMW filter....not that I am an expert in oil filters...right guys? tongue.gif

The oil filter used on early BMW 2002, 320, etc. also fits. They seem to be much cheaper than the motorcycle ones.

e.g. the following at $3.87.

2002 oil filter

This is an OEM grade Mahle filter, same as you would get from the dealer. You probably won't get the drain plug washer, but you can buy these for $0.50 from your local auto parts store.

AMSOil SMF 122

EMGO 10-26740

Fram PH6063

Purolator ML16825

Do some research here before you make your mind up. Personally, like JC and Allen, I'd stick with the BMW filter....not that I am an expert in oil filters...right guys? tongue.gif

No way, not you Greg!!! Good grief!!!

Thanks all, I just moved up form So Florida. I bought this K bike in Ft Myers. It has had alot of Hot-rod stuff.I does run storng.I just live like 120mi form Shreveport La an about 70mi form a (Plano Tx ) Dealer (They are Ass,s to me) . So I was just looking for something if I had to ..Thanks Paul clap.gifthumbsup.gif

The oil filter used on early BMW 2002, 320, etc. also fits. They seem to be much cheaper than the motorcycle ones.

e.g. the following at $3.87.

2002 oil filter

This is an OEM grade Mahle filter, same as you would get from the dealer.

Actually, Mahle makes pistons, They don;t make filters (that's why the company's full name is Mahle Kolbenfabrik, or in translation, "Mahle Piston Manufacturing"). They have also branced out to other products that generally involve diecasting or forging of alumininum or magnesium.

Probably the OEM filters are made by Knecht (who interestingly enough are a stone's throw from Mahle's original headquarters outside Stuttgart).

Bob.

[quote

Actually, Mahle makes pistons, They don;t make filters (that's why the company's full name is Mahle Kolbenfabrik, or in translation, "Mahle Piston Manufacturing"). They have also branced out to other products that generally involve diecasting or forging of alumininum or magnesium.

Probably the OEM filters are made by Knecht (who interestingly enough are a stone's throw from Mahle's original headquarters outside Stuttgart).

Stop the presses! I was wrong! Looking at the Mahle site. it turns out that they now DO make oil filters. Turns out that this was an outgrowth of their die-cast aluminum filter housings that they made. I guess Mahle figured that since the make the housings, why not the filters too!

Still, they are not known in Germany as a major filter maufacturer, but rather as an expert on all forms of "Lichtmetall" (aluminum/magnesium) fabrication.

Bob.

I have been using Mahle filters on my BMW cars and bikes for over 10 years.

In any case, that fact that they are German suggests that they are of good quality.

I have been using Mahle filters on my BMW cars and bikes for over 10 years.

In any case, that fact that they are German suggests that they are of good quality.

J,

The K-Bike Mahle Oil filter is P/N 06543763 or OC91D1 Comes with the crush washers and the big O-Ring. I've been using them for years also.

http://217.89.113.25:8080/toc/en/A64040F702E4B7C313B81393F4E842D2.srv?view=VIndexJsp

Where do you buy yours?

Mick

Archived