IGNORED

Yellowstone and Wyoming

Albert

I'm thinking about a ride through Wyoming and am just looking things over. Preliminarily I'm looking at a starting point in Rapid City, SD then travelling US14/I90 west and dancing the MT border. Head up to Red Lodge for a couple of days to do Beartooth and Chief Joseph, then on to Yellowstone. Again a couple of days in Yellowstone (W.Yellowstone, MT?) to see the Tetons et all. The return to Rapid city would be more southerly US 14/16.

We're not campers so I've been looking at potential stopover locations of Buffalo, WY; Red Lodge, MT; W. Yellowstone, MT; Cody, WY; Sheridan, WY; and Rapid City, SD. If anyone has suggestions for routes, hotels, restaurants, etc. I'm all ears. Thanks in advance.

Just south and west of Rapid city in SD is beautiful. (You gotta avoid the weeks around Sturgis ) Deadwood, Custer, Badlands, Crazy Horse are way cool. I didn't think much of Mount Rushmore, but I loved Crazy Horse. Yellowstone Drug Store in Shoshoni WY has the best shakes/malts in the world.

We really enjoy stayin at the Old Faithful Inn.(better get reservations early). ...all the YNP lodging is great, as long as you don't expect room service and a valet. If ya stay at Old Faithful then you don't have to make a special trip to see the thing and you can enjoy the walking path through the Geyser area.

We also enjoy stayin in Jackson(Hole). Almost every place around the town is walking distance so ya don't have to spend the extra money to be on the square.

DouglasR really enjoy his wait here...

http://www.snakeriverbrewing.com/

We liked it too.....Killer, Chris Olson, Richard, and I were several hours late.

I'll wait to add more....

My first research was to check on Sturgis to avoid it. Whip, how many days would you suggest to hit the highlights in Yellowstone/Tetons. Time is limited, and there's other places to see, but I don't want to short change ourselves either. Thanks.

+1 Jackson Hole.

753086691_gkjjx-S-1.jpg

We spent way too long in the Cadillac Grille

749252983_miFez-S-1.jpg

and you'll always be glad you got a shot of your bike and loved ones here

My RT, Sue, Howard, Brian, Meghan, Denny and sweet Roger

753086798_3XqkA-M.jpg

Earlier thread

You can do the Beartooth and Chief Joseph in half a day. Say from Red Lodge over the BT, down the CJ, back up the CJ and into Cooke City. A little more time if you really want lots of pictures.

You don't say when you are thinking of going.

All preliminary but I'm thinking of leaving mid July-ish. I had the same thought, Red Lodge looked like it would be a good spot to do Beartooth and CJ from before moving on.

Devils Tower, Bighorn Canyon, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Beartooth Hwy, Chief Joseph Hwy are all must dos. If Rapid City attractions are on the list, then add Wind Cave, Jewel Cave, Mt Rushmore and about 2 more days. YMMV.

In looking at alternatives to I-90, does anyone have any experience/comments on US 20 across Iowa and Nebraska. I still need to cover miles but this looks like it might be a break from the slab without compromising too much time.

+1 "Devils Tower, Bighorn Canyon, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Beartooth Hwy, Chief Joseph Hwy are all must dos".

I did this trip in July 2007 and the Bighorn Canyon was my favorite section (sweepers and great views). Tetons can't be beat for tranquility. Cody, WY was a fun town if you like rodeo. I only went to Sturgis because I needed a new tire. The BMW shop there was great. FYI, Yellowstone can be hot in July when the traffic slows down to gawk at animals.

Be prepared for a lot of slow moving traffic through Yellowstone in July. You'll find many people slowing or stopping to view the wildlife. The Tetons are spectacular. Don't miss a short hike around Jenny Lake. Have fun!

Thanks for all the replies. Several of you have commented on the July time frame being crowded. I assumed this would be the case but I was worried that September might be too late in the season for some of the mountain passes. We actually prefer travelling in the fall but I wasn't sure that was a good idea for Wyoming and Montana. Would September be a reasonable alternative? Thanks again.

It may be slower/crowded, but it ain't like LA or NYC. Relax, take it easy, check out the buffalo. You'll be fine.

Just get reservations in YNP early.

Have fun!!!

Some folk are bothered by the traffic, others are not. On our bikes we usually find a way to pass, and often get a nice run or two in. In the cage we just kick back and relax. "Bear Jams" can be annoying. But its all part of the experience. Stay well away from bison, moose, bear and elk. In any event, last time we rode through Rocky Mountain NP we literally could not get into the overlooks and had a miserable experience. I've never had such issues at Yellowstone. You will be able to get to everything without hassle. Just don't plan on making high miles. You are there to stop and see stuff.

September might be somewhat less crowded, but it gets real chilly. Fall color would be attractive if you hit it. If moose are in rut they become more visible, stealth being a lower priority. Ice and storms are more likely to be problems. Not sure when the Beartooth usually closes. You would need to check that.

We took our Grandkids and their Mother to YNP in mid-August last year. It was chilly and we had ice on the door step of the Condo we rented in West Yellowstone city.

Probably not an issue for ice on the road but still needs to factor-in the cold part since high altitudes will multiply the effect. Weather fronts folding down from Canada or the Aleutians can be difficult for those who are not watching or those who have a schedule to keep.

The Tetons are great and a must see, but I would like to add-in that the Tetons from the west side are good too (if you have already seen them from the traditional East side). Check this link out...

http://www.milebymile.com/main/United_States/Idaho/byway/Teton_Scenic_Byway.html

You might consider staying in Cody, WY, as a base for day trips into Yellowstone and also for riding the Chief Joseph and the Beartooth Hwy. I've stayed there a couple of times (once with my wife) and it worked out well. The second stay was in July. We got up early one morning and left Cody at sunrise heading northwest onto the Chief Joseph and into Yellowstone. There was nobody on the roads; it was beautiful. It was still early when we got to YNP -- too early for all the RVs to be on the road in the park, so it was not crowded at all. There has been lots of very aggravating road construction in YNP the past few years, so I'd check on the construction status. If construction has been completed on the east entrance road, you're only a short ride from Cody, but still do the Chief Joseph ride too. I'd also second the Tetons as well worthwhile and Jackson Hole too, along with the brew pub (link in Whip's post above).

My wife and I stayed at Cody Cowboy Village in 2007. The name's silly, but they were brand new luxury log cabins. I'd suggest eating at the Rib and Chop House (great buffalo rib eye. We made a reservation months in advance and it was a smart move as Cody can be quite crowded in the summer).

Now here's a strange coincidence. Both times I stayed in Cody (2006 and 2007), I/we were on the outskirts of town (opposite ends each visit). Both times the people managing the places we stayed let us use their car/van to drive ourselves to dinner. Couldn't believe it.

I'm always very conflicted when it comes to people asking advice for a trip to heavily used roads (especially if they include construction like Yellowstone) in peak tourist season. See The Parking Lot Called Yellowstone. Also Hopz trip to Lolo last year (caught in resurfacing he11 with no possible detours). But in the end it can be enjoyable as well if you are in "stop and smell the flowers" mode. The Northeast Entrance road is very lightly travelled and enjoyable any time. And there is no place in the world like Yellowstone. Climbing over Dunraven Pass on the bike, seeing the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone from both sides, walking the Norris Geyser Basin and Mammoth Hot Springs paths. I like to visit off season when I can (spring more because it is more impressive when more water runs) but July is enjoyable as long as you have reservations and are not in a hurry.

Mike Cassidy

Al,

Actually, July can be too late/early for some of the passes. Amy and I actually hit a pretty nice little snowstorm on the 4th of July last year in the part (east of Old Faithful). It's honestly kinda hit or miss with weather there.

And yeah, expect traffic, but it wasn't too bad last year... Traffic is usually brought on by wildlife or construction not excessive vehicles.

Another thing you migh't want to think about is the Beartooth Rally. This year it is July 16-18. It has gotten quite popular over the last few years and draws a pretty good crowd. If you haven't gotten reservations yet I doubt if you can. I have been to the rally a few times and it is just what you would expect from a Harley Rally (mini Sturgis Week).

Might want to keep this in mind while planning your trip.

Archived