IGNORED

GMRS vs. CB?

Tschamp

In the BMW crowd, it's probably 100:1 in favor of FRS/GMRS. Not sure about the Harley Crowd. Goldwing crowd would tend toward CB, I believe.

The advantage of CB is integration with truckers for advance warning of speed traps.

Yep, from a BMW perspective, the way I see it is GMRS for bike-to-bike, when riding with friends, and CB for solo travel. Now, if could just get the freakin' CB working with the Autocom!

Yep, from a BMW perspective, the way I see it is GMRS for bike-to-bike, when riding with friends, and CB for solo travel. Now, if could just get the freakin' CB working with the Autocom!

When I'm by myself and don't need to transmit, I carry a small portable scanner that allows me to listen to all the FRS, GMRS, and CB channels.

I don't know about a survey. My experience with both;

GMRS; smaller, easier to set up, great if others are using it, good for day rides to converse with your group

CB; physically larger, needs an antenna attached to the bike for distance, takes a bit of fiddling to get right, better while traveling. I've used it to find ways around traffic tie ups many times.

My ideal set up would be a system that has the ease of installation that a GMRS (plug and play) has and the ability of a CB.

JMHO,

Rob Lessen

Arma, KS

'73 Honda XL250

'91 R100GSPD

'96 R11RS

'05 R12RT

I carry a small portable scanner...
Interesting! Why hadn't I thought of that? I would like to be able to transmit on CB, to request information, but just being able to copy the traffic already out there would sure be better than nothing.
I carry a small portable scanner...
Interesting! Why hadn't I thought of that? I would like to be able to transmit on CB, to request information, but just being able to copy the traffic already out there would sure be better than nothing.

Just be aware that it's illegal in some locales, unless you have a permit from the appropriate law enforcement officials.

Has anyone done a survey on what is used more, CB or GMRS/FRS?

CB is great on highway, listening to the trucks do their thing -- which is sing about all of the "four wheelers" they see "taking pictures" ... the professional driving crowd transmits on single side band (less bandwidth and more power) and uses linear amplifiers, which exceed by powers of 20 the statuatory four-watt limit. Which means that unless you duplicate this kind of setup, they won't respond to you, recognizing from your audio signature that you're an outsider.

The ideal setup is to use GMRS for bike-to-bike, and patch in a scanner feed of CB (when on long highway trips). Everbody like GMRS because it's clean, FM, and the wavelength is manageable in a handheld. CB is dirty, AM and at a low frequency (long wavelength of 30+ feet needs BIG antenna to work properly) ... and it doesn't integrate well near engines -- since everything on a motorcycle except the rear rack is near the engine, it's a problem.

What is a good CB/SSB scanner rig?

I've had good luck with handhelds ... both CB-specific and general scanners. A weak antenna is still good at pulling in the short stuff. The SSB transmissions are "in channel" -- transmitting on the lower sideband of 19, for example, means using half the bandwidth allocated to 19, but all of that is still within the total allocation of 19 (so those SSB transmissions are received loud and clear).

If you wanted to go more exotic, then a dedicated CB antenna connected to your rig of choice -- there is some voodoo involved in tuning the antenna (standing wave ratio) specifically to the radio. Not a big job, but the components don't work together well right out of the box.

So you could have both GMRS and CB set up on your bike. Would you have a switch to go back and fourth through the autocom box?

That I haven't seen ... the system I've described involves receiving both GMRS and CB, but transmitting only on GMRS. As such, the GMRS would integrate with the two-way function of the Autocom, while the CB would come in as a separate audio input (a la V1, GPS, iPod, etc).

I have a J&M CB-2003. It's an all in one setup, mounted to the hydralics resv. It's rider to passenger, bike to bike, my XM transmits through it. I used a Firestik (NGP) No ground plane antenna mounted off the rear rack. I love it! I transmit 2-3 miles now and receive from even farther away. Kinda funny listening to the truckers at times but it keeps me awake. eek.gif

So you could have both GMRS and CB set up on your bike. Would you have a switch to go back and fourth through the autocom box?

that's EXACTLY what i have that came standard on my 2002 K1200LTE (elite version)

i have both the CB and the GMRS plugged in...

i can monitor BOTH at the same time

but i have to switch back and forth as to which i will transmit from.

works great

greg

i have the built-in intercom that came with the 2002 LT, not the BETTER autocomm that many have today

there are plenty of limitations to the stock system... but for the ability to connect BOTH GMRS and CB radio... it is quite good.

i will have to get some pictures up

but the unit came mounted INSIDE THE ODDMENT box, as the standard

greg

I use my Midland CB all the time. I have it mounted on the handlebars, left side, FRS/GMRS on the other side. I have no need to transmit on CB Short whip equal low distant or transmit on CB, unless stopped somewhere. I have it run through my autocom and as well as my FRS/GMRS. I transmit on the Kenwood with PTT button. Kenwood Works well, but not many folks use them. frown.gif

CB is better than a radar on the highway or truck routes. Gives back up info and helpful detours.

GK

Archived