IGNORED

Whistling RT12

Greg_A

G'day all. My RT now has 5000km up and other than being rapped after the move from the old Road King there's a few things you guys on similar steeds might make comment on. Firstly, I've an extremely annoying whistle up front coming from the RHS of the screen or fairing. It's worst at around 100km/h, I've tried blocking air with my hand leaning over the screen (no mean feat at that speed) but can't find the source. Any ideas? Do you reckon it's the dealer's responsibility, warranty?

Secondly, at 80km/h there's a whine in the rear end! (No it's not my wife) It's not there at all at 70 or 90 km/h mostly when backing off and speed slows, ie not under acceleration. It's not the engine or exhaust, 'cause if I declutch and idle it's still there. Any one else got the same?

Finally, my seat's a pain in the butt. Being in Aus the Sargeant and Mayer options (using my seat pan) can't work, however I had a Corbin on my H-D and was happy with it. Anyone using theirs yet, I'd appreciate your comments.

Happy Riding!

I get some whine from my tires even worse when leaning over. Don't have the whistling noise. It should be the dealers responsibility but if you want to chase it try using masking tape to cover up seams gaps etc that you think may be the cause. Do you wear ear plugs? My seats not too comfy either but I haven't decided if it's bad enough to shell out the big money for a custom seat.

I have a whistling noise from the windshield when it is at a certain height. I just raise it a hair and the whistling goes away. As far as the rear end noise, since it's not your wife, could it be your girlfriend? wink.gif

I think I would report both issues to your dealer, the rear end whine could be a potential problem, and at the very least you will be on record as having recorded a complaint.

Greg,

My guess is that your machine has been fitted with Pilot Roads and the tires are responsible for the noise front and rear. Try riding into and with a wind for the front whistle. If it is KPH consistant rather than wind velocity consistant then it is probably the tire. The rear whine if not drive line dependant (ie: only with power on or off) then it too is probably the tire.

I wear ear plugs anytime I go more than 5 or 6 miles, but, like to ride a short distance once in a while without plugs so I can hear if anything unusual is going on.

Regarding the seat, I find it most comfortable in the highest setting. It's not as initially comfortable as the stock comfort seat on my '98 RT (I can do 1000 mile days on that one), but I haven't spent more than 2 hrs straight on the '05's seat yet so I don't know about long haul comfort.

Regards,

Carl

You're not alone! My '02 RT whistled at speed when I bought it. I couldn't cure the situation but changed the windscreen (Aeroflow) and put a headlight protector on. Whistle disappeared.

Pilot Roads don't whistle, they sing... grin.gif

Like you and jackflash, I have the whistling around 60mph and it does go away when I raise the screen a tad. I have taped over most of the openings on the front to no avail. Dealer can't find it either and said no one else had complained. So I raise the screen...

Sargents is across town and have already redone my seats. They used my bike for the pan pattern and hope to have one available in a few months.

No rear whine, organic or mechanical.

Didn't have the windscreen whistling problem, but I've been testing AeroFlow's new RT screen with great success. I particularly love it because I don't need to raise it more than 1-1/2" to get great protection. Looks decent, too.

The stock seat: Oh the pain, the pain. My 18 year old son and I took a 1700 mile tour through the US Southwest, and we were in AGONY. The bike was beautiful except for that bloody seat. Got a Bill Mayer seat, but I'm not too thrilled with it. It's OK, but not as cush for the tush as I had expected. Was supposed to get a Corbin this past weekend, but the integration with the BMW seat heater controls isn't ready, and I'm not willing to give up the convenience. Have another appt for Oct 3. We'll see if it's ready then. My past experience with Corbin seats has been exceptional. Always feel like a board when you first get on, but man you can ride for many hours comfortably. I'm hoping that the same will be true for the RT. Will let you know.

Hello Greg.

I'm from Sydney and have travelled just under 7,000km on my R12RT. I don't have the whistling problem, but I was wondering if your radio aerial has been altered to the tilt-rearward direction and if so - if this is the cause of the whistling. I know that the radio aerial looks a whole lot better tilted in-line with the fairing, but it simply doesn't work as well as the straight up position. As for the whining, I do get quite a lot from the tyres now with the mileage. I have done some fairly long trips and haven't found the seat to be too bad (Sydney, Mildura, Broken Hill and back in 4 days).

Tony.

Strange thing BM seats. They suit some people and others just can't get on with them. I'm lucky (maybe I'm too well padded wink.gif) but I've always found them very comfortable once seat and I have adapted to each other which seems to take a couple of thousand miles.

Came back from France after several 8 hour + days. No aches or pains for either me or pillion.

Paul

Thanks for all the advice.

Tony, i'll try altering the aerial as it is lying back against the fairing. Isn't the ride to Broken Hill fantastic? I rode out there in on the Road King in '03 before they closed the Pazminco mine tours, great!!

Re the rear whine, my dealer tells me the RT comes with one of 3 different tyres. Mines got Dunlops, apparently the Metzlers are the quietest. I'll try them next perhaps.

I've also just ordered the Corbin seat, I'll post my thoughts after a few long rides

Cheers clap.gif

Hmmmm.... Broken Hill huh?? Must put that on my list!! I've just this minute come back from an 8 day Queensland ride. The seat I found ok. I get a tyre (Met's)whining noise at certain speeds but I find the ear plugs fix it. No whistling though, unless I have a booger up my nose (They are either whistlers or rattlers). Bike ran a dream. Bit of a sore right wrist, should have used the cruise control earlier instead of as a fix.

clap.gif

Hi Greg,

I have the Metz Z6's and I've been told by the BMW dealer here that they are the best of the bunch for grip and wear.

I am impressed with them so far although they are whining quite a bit now. Very noticeable when I move off the centre part of the tread but quiet when on the straights.

Silverton, just out of Broken Hill was a highlight of the trip. The old pub was great and the road out there was unbelieveable with endless dips and crests - fantastic.

I'll be interested in how good the Corbin seat is.

All the best and ride Safe.

Tony.

Don't know about the whistling, but I can comment on the seat. I just put a Corbin seat on mine. I live near Hollister, and I was able to ride in to have one made. On the first go 'round, the seat was too hard (I've had Corbin seats before, but this was crazy hard). I took the seat back the next week, and they informed me that they have a softer foam. They replaced the hard foam of the original Corbin with the soft foam - huge difference.

The seat is great looking, and with the softer foam, the bike is absolutely perfect.

Archived