IGNORED

I need to buy an air compressor. Please help

cali_beemer

I am looking for my first air compressor. Just something general ofr in my garage. Mainly to check tires on the bike, air up the tube for behind the boat and other misc stuff. However I would like to be able to do spray painting (HVLP) and potentially like a impact wrench. Nothing real heavy. My understanding is you need roughly 6.0CFM at 40 psi in order to run a spray gun. Can anyone confirm. I was looking at harbor freight tool as I have gift cards. Whats the big benefit to using a oiless diaphram style or oil piston style? The one I was considering was this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94667

Please help. I dont want to spend alot of money. I also dont want to buy too much or not enough air compressor.

Some info on compressors here.

Thanks. Can anyone help with explaining the pros/cons of the oil systems vs the newer diaphram style? I understand that just about any compressor will work for the tire inflating and tubes. However, I am more concerned with being able to run an air gun, impact wrench and chisel, etc...for hobby use.

John Ranalletta

For painting, you'll want to install or buy a compressor with an in-line dryer. This will help with air tools as well, but if you're only a casual user of air tools, keeping them oiled will be sufficient.

4803.jpg.39f3a58620e96f3217152a0697e4c9bd.jpg

It's been my general, but limited, experience that the oil-free compressors are noisier than the oiled compressors. But you don't have to oil them.

I don't think I'd buy a compressor from Harbor Freight. I have a Craftsman, but I don't think I'd buy one of theirs any more. I've been thinking about upgrading my compressor lately, and based on the buyer's comments I've been reading, I'm thinking DeWalt or Ingersoll-Rand.

I'd swear I recall reading that you need 5 cfm at 90 psi for painting, rather than 40 (but maybe that's for running grinders and such). That'll cut down your list of qualified compressors significantly.

Thanks. Can anyone help with explaining the pros/cons of the oil systems vs the newer diaphram style?

Perhaps more important than that is deciding between a single or dual-stage unit (a dual-stage unit compresses the air with two compressor units in series, each optimized for its job.) The dual unit will be somewhat more efficient and more importantly much quieter than a single stage unit, and will cost about 30% more. We have two typical 5 hp/20 gallon compressors at work, one single and one dual and the dual is so much quieter and just seems to not be working nearly as hard. If I had it to do over again in my own shop I would spend some more money and get a dual-stage unit. But that said, if price is a major factor then the single stage will work fine (if you don't mind listening to it.)

I have a single stage dual piston 20 gallon belt drive oil lubricated Campbell Hausfield that I almost stole from Lowes for $175 a few years ago. like this but with a better muffler and pneumatic wheels. It was at the time they were getting rid of the oiled ones and going all oil-less and it was a display model. I love it. Changing the oil is no biggie just once a year for me. I did convert it to 240VAC when I ran compressed air line through out the house.

I think the belt drives may be quieter than the direct drives. but the oil less with universal motors are the noisest pieces of crap that I have ever heard. They run at much higher rpms than the induction motors and thus much louder and hotter. The only advantage of oiless is if you are spraying paint there is no chance you will get oil in your work but there are dryers and filters for that, if you use an oil lubed compressor.

I am looking for my first air compressor. Just something general ofr in my garage. Mainly to check tires on the bike, air up the tube for behind the boat and other misc stuff. However I would like to be able to do spray painting (HVLP) and potentially like a impact wrench. Nothing real heavy. My understanding is you need roughly 6.0CFM at 40 psi in order to run a spray gun. Can anyone confirm. I was looking at harbor freight tool as I have gift cards. Whats the big benefit to using a oiless diaphram style or oil piston style? The one I was considering was this:

I thought HVLP sprayers came with a turbine type compressor. Apollo

If you are intending to spray paint, you will need a big compressor.

For small air tools and pumping tires, you really don't need a 3HP compressor. I have an old sears 2HP and it is overkill.

Get a nice portable piston compressor. Stay away from diaphram compressors (painfully LOUD). Anything over 1HP is best run off 220V, so 2HP isn't that portable.

Figure out how big a compressor you need, then get a bigger one!

You can't have too much compressor.

You'll wonder how you lived without one.

True... Unless portability is an issue.

Well, I found a used compressor and I bought it tonight. Its an oiless 30 gallon 6 horsepower craftsman. I wanted to go piston/oil type but it will only get used every now and then. I also was looking at the CFM rating and this is a 6.8cfm @90 psi and 8.6 cfm @40 psi. Its a bit higher rating than most with a good size tank and still runs on 110v. Its noisy but not untolerable. I got lucky, it came with a 160 piece tool kit and came with a impact wrench, chisel, ratchet, die grinder, impact sockets, die grinder attachments, nozzles, fittings, and alot of other stuff along with 50 ft of hose. The compressor looks brand new and I got it all for a couple hundred bucks.

Jerry Johnston

I'll bet it turns out to be just what you needed. I have an upright 80 gal stationary oil type compressor in my shed and an airless Craftsman portable 40 gal upright in the garage. Both are somewhat noisy but I don't really hear it because I just go in the house until it shuts off. I use the portable 80% of the time simply because it's handier. If the tank is large enough to do what you need it for noise isn't really a factor. If you were making a living painting or roofing then you'd probably want a better unit. MHO

I'll bet it turns out to be just what you needed. I have an upright 80 gal stationary oil type compressor in my shed and an airless Craftsman portable 40 gal upright in the garage. Both are somewhat noisy but I don't really hear it because I just go in the house until it shuts off. I use the portable 80% of the time simply because it's handier. If the tank is large enough to do what you need it for noise isn't really a factor. If you were making a living painting or roofing then you'd probably want a better unit. MHO

That was pretty much my take on it. This is just a hobbiest/weekend mechanic use, occasional use at best. My bigger concern was getting something that had the capability when I wanted to use it. It didnt make much sense to invest into a smaller compressor that couldnt run alot of the stuff I wanted to be able to use. If you cant run alot of the air tools then it seemed to defeat my purpose in buying one.

Archived