IGNORED

removing fuel pump assembly

davisjj

I am getting ready to remove the fuel pump assembly from my ’02 KRS to change the fuel filter and check the internal vent lines for obstructions. I’ve never removed the pump assembly before, and am looking for advice/tips/pitfalls to avoid. I haven’t been able to find any posts describing the process. I have two specific questions: (1) what is the best way to loosen the large, knurled plastic nut (BMW calls it the union nut); (2) should I replace the rubber seal even if it looks OK? Advice/information greatly appreciated.

I haven't done this either so I can't give you tips on the procedure, but I can tell you 2 things:

- You'll need a 'STRAP WRENCH' to loosen and tighten the 'union nut'. Buy them at Sears, or any other auto parts store.

-Check out the www.i-bmw2.com KRS site and do a search. I'm sure you'll find comments there; it has much more technical information than this site.

Hope this helps buddy.

Hmmm. This is obviously quite different than on the older K bikes.

With my K100, all you do is remove the tank filler so you can get inside the tank more easily, loosen a couple of hose clamps, and squeeze the plastic latches on either side of the pump, then pull out the pump far enough to undo the 2 electrical connections. After that, the pump and filter pull right out.

But with the old K-bikes, there is no need to pull out the pump to change the filter. The filter can be removed separately from inside the tank.

But as I said, clearly, the new K's are different.

Bob.

ADVICE: If you decide to proceed, the clamps on the fuel filter are something called "Oetiker" clamps. See: "One Ear" Clamps Also: Another supplier

They do NOT use a screw to ensure tightness, rather a special pliers is used to install. Locally, NAPA has them at ~ $35 or you can get them via the links.

BUT… I had a K12 fuel filter changed by a BMW dealer and 8000 miles later, during removal of accessories prior to trade-in on an '04 K12, it wouldn't start.

Turns out the tech "re-used" the original clamps (by opening and 'resetting" them w/ sidecutters) and DID NOT GET THEM TIGHT ENOUGH to hold against the 50 psi that's developed by the K12 fuel pump. Remember… they're described as a single use item, by the manufacturer.

If you decide to use the screw type hose clamp… make sure they are completely stainless steel… some have the female thread portion made from plain old steel which rusts in the fueltank. Not good.

Archived