IGNORED

Dual plug head conversion on r1150rt ?

donhallman

Has anyone tried the head conversion that the San Jose Cal. shop offers for about $500. to fix surge? Does it also smooth out engine? Any comments or info welcome. I did the techlusion r259 for about a 70% fix.

I did the San Jose dual plug on my 1996 R1100RT. I have an awesome engine, never surged, runs very strong I just did it because I wanted it. At the same time I had San Jose rebuild all the valves. During the time the heads were at San Jose I de-carbon the pistons. Mine were pretty bad, worse than i thougt they should be.

Once it was all back together, the bike ran great. Diffently could feel (seat of the pants) a faster reving, stonger pulling engine.

I believe dual plugging has helped many a bike, I had it done on my old R80RT air head. But really for the cost, good tune ups, good gas, and properly adjusted cables do as much for a smooth running bike.

I just wanted a R1100 dual plugged. I know I will never get back the cost in gas mileage or re-sale etc. I just wanted it. If you are in the same situation, get it done, it is a cool upgrade. In my opinion, for the cost, upgrading to a dual plug to achieve some specific goal is risky.

If you do it on your own, just make sure you understand how to take the heads off at top dead center compression, and how to keep them there. Not messing up the timing is critical, plus small pieces can fall into the engine. If you do the job on your own read and follow the instructions.

I did the SJBMW dual-spark conversion on my '02 R1150RT at 38,000 miles. 63,000 now with no bad effects yet.

The conversion did a number of cool things including more power from lower revs and a stronger-feeling more civilized power curve. I have NO dyno runs or other to back that up.

The conversion greatly reduced but did not entirely eliminate my hideous surging. Removing the pink CCP to run with none at all really did the trick. I have since installed a jumper wire that works like the Olive CCP.

The SJBMW kit assumes that you have spark plug leads in place that will plug into the coil that they supply. If your coil is completely encased in silver metal, and if the plug leads screw into that coil, they will not work with the SJBMW coil. Be prepared to spend about another hundred bucks for the correct plug wires.

Also (about surging) be sure to set your valves using the "Anton method," thumbsup.gif which you can search for on this board.

Archived