IGNORED

Where do your tires wear...

Deaner

Do your tires wear more on one side than the other? Do you have a strong side where you are a little more confidant turning than the other. I ask this because the left side of my tires have worn considerably more than the right and center. How does one correct for this.

The bike is new to me, I've put about 1,300 miles on it since I picked it up about three weeks ago. I didn't notice the uneven wear until a tire check mid-ride last weekend.

I am working on getting a picture to post.

Depending on how they build the roads where you live, you should expect to see more wear on the left side of the tire due to the crowning of the road.

I do think it is unusual to actually see more wear on the left than in the center.

Deaner, I know there are alot of more experianced riders than me that'll chime in here. I've found that the crown from the road will wear out the left side. If thats what it is maybe we could start an exchange program with those countries that always drive on the wrong side. crazy.gif

Joe

Do your tires wear more on one side than the other?

Evenly, both sides. How much depends on where.

North America: tires wear out the center first.

Alps: tires wear out both sides first.

Maybe I should bring my worn Alps tires to North America and bring my worn North American tires to the Alps. Never though of that. wink.gif

Your left side is probably wearing faster because it is better to slide off into a field than into an oncoming car...so you feel safer leaning left.

In the United States, the left side wears more rapidly than the right due to the fact that we ride on the right side of the road. Left turns are generally taken faster than right turns and the bike actually travels farther on the left side of its tire than on the right side as the distance to complete a left curve is greater than the distance required to complete a right. In the U.K., they will wear the right side of their tires faster than their left side.

On every bike I've owned, the tires have worn evenly. I like Soboy's explanation that here in North America where we drive on the right side of the road, we travel farther when making left hand turns. I suspect that as others have pointed out, depending on how various jurisdictions build their roads (with differing amounts of crown or slope), places with lots of rain and therefore presumably higher crowned roads, will cause more wear on the left side of the tires. (Logically, doesn't that mean that the left side of the REAR tire should show increased wear as well? Nobody has mentioned increased left side wear on REAR tires. Interesting. . . )

I just replaced set of BT-020's that had significantly more wear on the left side of the rear. This was my first set of tires to show left side wear on the rear. Original Macadam 90's and Pilot Roads wore very evenly in the back.

On the rubber part.

That's right. Specifically, they tend to wear on the bottom, where they touch the road.

Once they get too worn there, then all you have to do is turn them so the flat spot is on the top.

Bob.

... you should expect to see more wear on the left side of the tire due to the crowning of the road.

Ahhh, I was searching for fire with a lighted lamp. What a simple explanation. I must fly myself and my bike to Europe at once to avoid having to break in new tires (tyres).

Archived