IGNORED

Riding Suits Redux

kudzu

Looking for a riding suit to complement my Cycleport Kevlar Mesh outfit. IMNSHO, nothing beats that suit for protection and comfort in HOT weather.

Looking for something with a wide thermal comfort range, say 30's to 70's or 40's to 80's, with substantial protection and high quality.

Considered the BMW Atlantis 3 Pro Suit. A helpful member of this group, who has an Atlantis 2, doubts that I would find it comfortable to temps as high as desired. Other opinions on that point?

What about the BMW Tourguard Suit? Thermal comfort range? Waterproof enough, as is, or do you still need a rain oversuit?

Other ideas - versatile, protective, high quality?

This is the first of many Aerostich responses. It's comfortable down to 40 with an electric vest, and 80 is OK. Much above 80 degrees, and it's a bit warm on an RT. Lots of pockets, lots of protection, etc.

They're made in America, and the customer service is outstanding. They're pricey, but they're even more expensive if you buy something else first.

OTOH, I also have a Tourmaster Cortech 2-piece which is almost as good. A bit better in the cold and a bit drier in the rain, actually. I believe they're made in China by slave laborers, but I'm not sure.

I have been very satisfied with my FirstGear Voyager Pants and jacket for cold weather riding. Comfortable with an electric vest, fleece shirt and balaclava on the RT down to 30 degrees. I can go lower with long johns and it would be probably be good into the teens if you had a full set of gerbings electrics. Insulated liner is removable for wear in warmer weather. I haven't worn it at 80 degrees, but I think it would be a little warm. Their Kilimanjaro jacket has more ventilation.

not sure why your air mesh will not meet your needs, mine does. I have the rain liner (useless for rain) but with that zipped in and poly type thermal underwear 33 degrees (i do not ride in ice) is fine. If i start out early in the morning and go late, I first zip out the liner, then around lunch I remove the thermal underwear, and the air mesh will go from 40 - 90 with just these two additional pieces of gear.

I also have a roadcrafter two piece and yes, without any extra gear it is fine to about 40 degrees. But I find the air mesh with these two pieces of additional layering to be the better combination. I am now getting ride of my road crafter, and buying the 3/4 air mesh jacket. That way I will have pants, waist jacket, and 3/4 jacket. Add the rain liner for all three items, bring along some high quality very light weight thermal underwear, and I pretty much feel I can ride anytime the weather is above 35 degrees, all the way up to 90, and be very comfotable.

not sure why your air mesh will not meet your needs...

If I could have only one suit, it would be the Air Mesh. Using it with the liners, Gerbing's electrics, etc., it is the single most versatile solution I know of. And, repeating myslef, nothing else that provides real protection is any more comfortable when it is really hot.

All that being said, I want another suit for several reasons. More choices, more versatility. Maybe more optimized towards the cooler end of things. Maybe more protective. Less bulky. Redundancy - right now I need to send my Air Mesh to Cycleport for some repairs and it will be gone for weeks. What other excuses, er I mean reasons, can I think of for a new riding suit?

I've got a lot of BMW riding gear, but I'm always careful to buy at sale time. The Atlantis jacket was hot when riding thru' France at temps in the high 70's low 80's - especially behind an RT fairing! It is heavy compared to a fabric jacket.

The latest Streetguard Jacket (I have series 1 model) has some zips in the sleeves to aid cooling, and had a heat reflecting treatment that might make it a little cooler than the Atlantis. If I had to choose one of the two for my mixture of riding, it would be the Streetguard.

The Streetguard and Tourguard jackets have Goretex laminated to the outer fabric and are totally waterproof. Rainsuit definitely not needed.

I have the rain liner (useless for rain)

Could you please explain this. I am looking at ordering and would sure like to think the "rain" liner works for the cost.

Thanks.

Ted -

I'm interested, too. My liner works well for rain. If I am reasonably careful about the flaps and Velcro (sp?) on the seams, I stay stone dry except for a little intrusion around the neck. Maybe a little duct tape...

My liners keep me dry when wearing the air mesh jacket and pants, however, I will be getting a Streetguard 2 suit next season for the non-mesh temperature days (hoping I can pick one up on sale over the winter).

sorry i should have been clearer. The rain liner is great if it is in. Any type rain, any distance it is bone dry. I meant, I ride in Atlanta, GA and I get caught in rain about 10 times a year. Probably 7 of those are going home, so I usually do not even stop in put the liner in. Fact of the matter is, for this year, it has been roled up in the corner of my bag, and I have taken it out once (yes 1 time) It is just so hot here, and the liner does retain a lot of heat (just my opinion) that I meant for the one or two times I get caught in the rain, I now prefer just putting my Frog Togs on over the pants and jacket.

In my instances, with so few rain days, I would save the 100 X 2 for the rain liner, and just buy frog togs, and use the rest of the money for gas.

Very very happy with BMW's Rallye II jacket & pants. Have about 25K on them. Absolutley waterproof (after being Nikwaxed), even with waterproof liners out. Very comfortable and good looking. Vents really work in hot weather and 100 plus heat at Spokane Rally last summer with cooling vest was bearable. Below freezing......no problem with Gerbing. thumbsup.gif

Considered the BMW Atlantis 3 Pro Suit. A helpful member of this group, who has an Atlantis 2, doubts that I would find it comfortable to temps as high as desired. Other opinions on that point?

I have the Atlantis III jacket and pants. For me, the sweet spot is 50 - 80. However, I've done a fair amount of riding through the 80's and even the low 90's here in Az and on the way back from the Texas Hill Country ride without overheating. The big change from the II to the III were small vents in the upper arm in the jacket and they work better than you'd expect.

I've also ridden very comfortably into the 30's with thermal underwear and my own windproof sub-jacket underneath on the way to DVD in January. I didn't pop the extra $300 for the gore-tex liners, but that's an option.

There are a lot of good choices out there...you already know the Atlantis III ain't cheap, but IMHO its really well made, very protective, comfortable on a long ride, covers a wide temp range and is somewhat rain proof by itself - such as running through light/moderate rain/snow showers - but not 2+ hours in steady rain. If you're going to do the latter, then my choice would be a rain suit.

The euro sizing is hard to get right if you're doing mail order - you really need to try these on to get the right size for a good fit.

Archived