IGNORED

Autocom going under?

wbrissette

The rumor is they were purchased by Starcom.

Hmmm. Does this mean there will be no starcom vs. autocom threads any more?

I don't understand the purchase, at least from a US perspective. There is considerable product overlap, and you can't convince me that starcom would buy them for the distribution network. :-)

If it is true it will be very interesting to see what survives in terms of products.

I don't understand the purchase, at least from a US perspective. There is considerable product overlap, and you can't convince me that starcom would buy them for the distribution network. :-)

If it is true it will be very interesting to see what survives in terms of products.

It sounds like the Microsoft business model; if you can't beat them, buy them. And if Autocom is having financial difficulties then that would present a very opportune time to eliminate a rival once and for all.

It sounds like the Microsoft business model; if you can't beat them, buy them. And if Autocom is having financial difficulties then that would present a very opportune time to eliminate a rival once and for all.

...or, continue a better product line with an established distribution network for greater profit.

...or, continue a better product line with an established distribution network for greater profit.

Actually, I don't consider either one having a great distribution network here in the US. Maybe it's different elsewhere, but we don't have the best distribution network for either product line.

Wayne

It was an education to read thru this whole thread from beginning to end.

Where there is a lack of information, the vacuum is filled with speculation and rumor.

Let's hope that the new owners continue to distribute product in the US

The bitter rivalry between the owners of Autocom and Starcom has been ended with the purchase of the liquidated Autocom assets by Starcom.

The old Autocom factory in Warwick has been emptied (took a working week) and the contents transferred to some new leased premises near the Starcom HQ in Cambidgeshire.

I have talked to one of the Autocom dealers and he is expecting "Business as Usual" after the effects of the current upheaval have died down in a few days time. He said there was absolutely no need for me to panic about buying connecting cables for a yet-to-be-purchased GPS just in case supplies ran out. So I am not going to.

I would expect some more announcements over the coming weeks and months. I am sure that the MD of Starcom, Tony Starling, is going to have a long hard think about how he is going to position the two brands.

Starcom doesn't have any existing repair facilities. If you unit needs repair, you must send it back to the UK.

Who knows, maybe that will change now. As somebody else pointed out, the weakest part of the Starcom unit is the connector, it's smaller and can break. Otherwise, I've always considered Autocom and Starcom nearly identical sound quality-wise.

Wayne

It may change. Perhaps Starcom wanted Autocom's distribution network more than anything. I don't know.

In the meantime, we have used Starcom for the last three years. When we have had questions we have gotten prompt, friendly and helpful responses by email.

When we had issues with the unit that is used to connect earphones (AzAls) Tony handled the matter personally and redesigned the unit promptly in time for x-country Unrally trip. Shipping to and from England is fast and not a problem.

So I would think Starcom will do a fine job of serving Autocom's customers. I suspect Tony did the hard thinking before the purchase, and it will be interesting to see what emerges. The Starcom line is much simpler than the Autocom line, has not had the same kind of distribution, and is otherwise run as a different business model. These are going to be strange bedfellows.

In the meantime, if Tom has been following this thread, I'd like to express my regret over this matter. You've always been a stand up sort of guy around here, and it has been appreciated, even if I haven't been one of your customers.

CoarsegoldKid

Sagerider mentioned to me that the Starcom did not have sidetone and the Autocom did. Sidetone allows you to hear your own voice in the speakers as you carry on a conversation with another bike or pillion. Maybe the two brands will marry, have offspring with sidetone, be smart enough to be bluetooth so I won't need a cable connecting me to the bike(but maintain in ear speakers) with separate mp3 sources for rider and passenger.

Sagerider mentioned to me that the Starcom did not have sidetone and the Autocom did.

Both the Starcom Digital and Advance have this option, I simply have chosen not to use it.

I have had to send one of my units back to the UK for repair and it was handled quickly, but it is more of a hassle shipping outside the US, but it's not terrible.

Wayne

I

In the meantime, if Tom has been following this thread, I'd like to express my regret over this matter. You've always been a stand up sort of guy around here, and it has been appreciated, even if I haven't been one of your customers.

+1. I've had great success with my Super Pro AVI, and have always enjoyed excellent service directly, and via this forum.

Spoiled Biker distributes StarCom in the US.

So does RKA Luggage. http://www.rka-luggage.com/

I called them to order a tank bag for my RT. I was talking with Richard with some questions about the tank bag. After about ten minutes I was quite satisfied with the answers and said "I'll take one." His reply? "I'm on the bike right now, let me give you an number to reach the office so they can take your order."

I was quite surprised, as he sounded great. I had no idea he was on a bike until he mentioned it. He went on to explain that he was on I-15 south of Provo, cruising about 70mph at the time. He integrates the StarCom unit into his tank bags and sells them stand alone. I haven't tried one, but it sure sounded good.

In the meantime, if Tom has been following this thread, I'd like to express my regret over this matter. You've always been a stand up sort of guy around here, and it has been appreciated, even if I haven't been one of your customer

+1, I have always had a great deal of respect for Tom and his willingness to help so many on here. I am sure he has been following this thread and I am sure I speak for many in saying thanks, hope you land on your feet.

As to what this all means for Autocom owners, I don't think we know if it is bad news or good, hoping it is good but only time will tell.

I have used Starcom units for some years until my hands could no longer handle the plugs/ connectors when cold. Moved over to Autocom Active Duo and VERY disappointed in comparison. If Starcom make their units with Autocom plugs, I'll go back to using their kit. With the Autocom I can't have a conversation at 70+ with the Starcom I can take it to Autobahn speeds without missing a scream ot whimper from the back. I just can't dismantle the starcom connection when I want to get off the bike. have to get SWBO to do it - not very dignified

7 up

That's surprising.

Our old model works very well at triple digit speeds.

W/out going into all the possible adjustments, speaker placments etc. because this isn't the thread for that, I'll just say every one of the Autocom users I knw (a lot) are satisfied, except for, now ,including you, two of them.

Tom,

if you're out there, good luck, thanks for your contributions and input.

Best wishes.

The combined investigating skills of this forum has finally reached a full conclusion on this topic. From the initial rumor, to the website confirmation, the forum members have hung in there with a tenacity worthy of Bernstien and Woodword. I will miss this thread for the entertainment value alone, but--somewhat like Nixon waving from the steps of a helicopter-I have a sad feeling for the innocent people effected by this downfall. Good luck to all of them.

This is really good news for customers:

"Tecstar will continue the Autocom range in its entirety and support current distributors and dealer networks ensuring continuity of supply of product, parts and cables. Tecstar is committed to further product development and will be working to enhance the Autocom range. "

I'll be interested to learn if Tom ends up working with them.

I spoke to Techstar earlier and was told that they have some of the Autocom personnel working with them.Starcom doesn`t "do" internet forums i was told but if anybody has a tech problem email or phone and they will do their level best to help sort it.I`m not sure if Tom will be working for them as i understand Autocom and Starcom had a big legal fight some years ago.(thats not gospel by the way just what someone told me)So for all you Autocom users out there dont worry, spares,tech advice is still available and so are their new products.

Have to agree with you there. I have been very pleased with Autocom performance; from bike-to-bike to rider-to-passenger. It always worked worked well from around town to triple digit speeds. The MP3 and GPS functioned seamlessly at all times. I hope that when the dust settles that I will be able to rely on product support for my unit (the need for which has been minimal).

tallman

Just my experience

Starcom worked out the box x2 models (Starcom1 and Advance)no fiddling. just couldn't use their plugs easily at this time of year (and they can damage easily). the Autocom Active Duo (speakers in same place exactly as Starcom) didn't have enough volume when wearing my standard earplugs. Autocom did the tweak with volume but suggested less sound damping earplugs. I am about to try the Logic unit as cannot persuade Starcom to use bigger plugs. Logic units have different speakers (8ohms over 32ohms) and more volume control so fingers crossed and blurb says will work with earplugs - hoping to be another satisfied customer

With correct speaker placement, the Autocom is plenty loud with no ear plugs but I agree that it isn't loud enough if you wear earplugs. I don't normally wear earplugs for riding in my general area but do on cross country trips. Then, I just AZ Al's ear plug speakers and it works outstanding.

I am in the same camp as those who think autocom products are great.

Its just plug in and go, I wish I had bought autocom years ago.

I tried the Bluetooth enabled Logic wireless for a while but could not get it to interface correctly with my BMW NAV III+. by cable it was too loud & by BT it was too quiet despite fiddling with the volume control on the NAV III+.

Fortunately the place where I purchased the Logic wireless allowed me to swap it over for a Super Pro Auto, once I found somewhere to mount it it was plug & play works every time. Tested on a closed course two-up >180km/h I could have a normal conversation.

I use earplugs every trip custom made earmolds & I also use custom made earmolds with in-ear speakers. Does not matter if its the helmet speakers or the in-ear speakers always plenty of volume for me and my passenger, correct microphone & speaker placement are critical for best performance & this is emphasised in the the instructions.

Brilliant product & I hope the new owners continue to support & build autocom intercoms well into the future.

Cheers Teddy

Its just plug in and go,

Cheers Teddy

How I wish I could be in that camp. Plug and play, push, pull, fiddle, rewire, plug again, etc. BTW doesn't ANYONE lose words or sentences bike to bike? And forget about VOX.

Looking back, this was posted by AutoCom Tom, on the "AutoCom, I can't hear you" thread back in November. Now that we know their fate, I wonder if this was a inside joke posting. It had to be in the air around their office, rumors of impending doom. I never did get that P.M. either.

KDeline

You asked for it, so I’ve built it, JUST FOR YOU, it will be ready in January.

Of course if it stops you moaning I imagine everyone else will love it too! So we will be building thousands (with extra BT modules….)

I will PM you with a preview and pricing etc, however you will have to wait a week or so because I am snowed under at the busy NEC bike show.

Autocom UK Tom

Its just plug in and go,

Cheers Teddy

How I wish I could be in that camp. Plug and play, push, pull, fiddle, rewire, plug again, etc. BTW doesn't ANYONE lose words or sentences bike to bike? And forget about VOX.

I have 2 autocoms and both work great. I've never had a problem with bike 2 bike. I use a Kenwood radio. I also have a Zumo 550, xm radio, radar detector, cell phone, and passenger audio all connected. It really does work great.

Archived