IGNORED

Atlantis 3 Pro suit

kudzu

Have read what I could find searching. Anybody have any further or more recent comments about the BMW Atlantis 3 Pro suit?

As mentioned in another post, I have been using a Cycleport Air Mesh Kevlar suit and am generally happy, especially for hot weather use. I am looking for another riding suit oriented towards cool and colder (I don't ride anytime/anywhere that is's COLD). For comfort, protection, appearance, the Atlantis has a lot of appeal, I just don't want to make a very expensive mistake. If I buy it and love it, I'll soon forget the cost. If I buy it and am not happy with it, I'll kick my a$$.

Also, am thinking of omitting the liners and buying a rain suit to go over it. Just about my only beef with the Cycleport is the fact that the rain liner goes inside the suit, so, if it's not cold enough to leave it in, you have to remove the suit to put on the rain liner and that's a pain.

Thoughts?

ShovelStrokeEd

I would tend to agree on the rain suit as overgarment thing. If you can stand the extra expense, or if you have any money left after buying the Atlantis, the Klima Komfort suit is really quite good. For the life of me, I have never understood the logic behind a waterproof liner for exactly the reason you stated.

No matter you final choice for cooler weather, I would strongly suggest you acquire a wind fleece for liner wear and a Gerbings heated jacket liner. Invaluable in temperatures as high as 50 degrees. With the pulse width modulated controller, it really makes a difference in ride comfort even over the fleece.

I have the predecessor of the Atlantis 3. I am not sure if there have been fundamental changes between the Atlantis 2 and Atlantis 3.

I wear mine only when it is cold (<55) with a Gerbing electric liner. I've like mine so far for fit, function, and style, but I would not characterize the suit as indispensable.

I've had the opportunity to test out the rain liner both on my Atlantis and my Kalahari suit. Apart from a little water seepage around the neck area, the liner will keep your body dry. While your body stays dry, however, the Atlantis is going to feel heavy from the amount of water it has absorbed. This is not a problem if your trip ends at a place you can dry the Atlantis, but could be a bit uncomfortable if you are motorcycle camping.

In terms of wearing the liner or not, I typically check the forecast and if there is a chance of rain I'll put it on. The liner is so thin that it does not add that much weight or discomfort. I wear my Gerbing under the liner for warmth.

This seems like the right thread for me to ask this question. For 5 years on my RT, I've been happy with my Kalahari suit, rain or shine, only switching to mesh gear in the really hot stuff.

Then I added a K1200S to the garage, and I've found that the Kalahari suit doesn't do so well without the wind protection of the RT - the suit is shakes around so much in the wind that it actually "drums" and the vibration/sound carries into my helmet.

I bought a Venting Machine for the summer months, and it doesn't have any issues with the wind. I want a suit like that for the cooler months.

So - could it be that the longer length of the Kalahari jacket is an issue? Would I be better of with a short jacket, given the different riding position of the K-S compared to the RT? What suits should I consider for versatile touring setup for the wind and riding position of the K-S?

Thanks for any thoughts on the subject

Scott

Ernie. I have found the Atlantis pants fantastic behind the fairing of the RTs for staying warm and dry in cold (for Australia high 30 low 40 f) weather and torrential rain whilst wearing the pants and y-fronts. I stayed dry. However, the jacket whilst as good keeping you as dry was not as good at keeping you warm. Due to the tighter design fit of jackets like these they are not so good for layering. So IMO the pants have a lower temp handling capability than the jacket but in reality only due to the RT'S fairing. BTW, I am 6'4" tall and sit with the seat on either the middle or the high setting on an R1150RT as I like the airflow. If you can get well out of the wind/weather the jacket will perform as well as the pants .

Archived