IGNORED

RT-P owners

arebee

I've been looking at a RT-P and have a couple questions for those who own (or have owned) them. Even with the 60K miles, do you find they are still a good bike? Do they seem abused? Any issues someone should be aware of prior to buying? Does the required service appear to be complete and up to date? Is it easy to get the second seat and foot pegs and do they cost alot? I can't think of any more right now, but I'm sure some will come up later...

Thanks

Roger

Buying a good one is more luck than anything else. They are ex-cop bikes, they have had service by the dealer as required with no expense spared. But they were also ridden VERY hard by professional riders. These riders are riding something that does not belong to them. It's like how you drove the last car you rented.

I've been lucky with mine so far. It was a CHP bike and ridden by a sergeant who spends more time in the office and less time hunting for tickets.

If you want one, try to find out which LEO agency owned it and who rode it. Look at the service records and make sure it has a tool kit and owners manual. The keys have a habit of disappearing too. I would avoid a RT-P from a city with a lot of stop and go driving. RT-P's are highway bikes and the miles are easier on them. Areas of concern is the condition of the clutch and transmission. Look at the lower portions of the crash bars. Lots of damage indicates it was a training bike..stay away!

There has been a lot of discussion on this topic in the past. Basically they have an oil cooler fan, high output alternator, locking sidestand and two batteries.

Good luck.

I can tell you how we ride them. thumbsup.gif They get serviced by the book and go to training once a month. Some have be to other motor schools. On a daily basics they chase speeders. They motor is not running when we sit. Once we get a speeder it is engine on and we go after the speeder from a dead stop. I pretty sure this is not the greastest for the engine. Most have been dropped from time to time on the crash bar. So yes they had a hard by good life.

The diffrence between an RT and RTP is which you already know the back seat and pegs, crash bars, fan, alternator, and second battery. Can not think for anything else.

My dealer gave us an old CHP for a training bike. We still use it today as a spare. Runs prefect. In fact I am using it now as my 02 is in the shop for repairs.

Good luck. thumbsup.gif

celebrationrev

I've had mine since April without any problems. The dealer here bought a group of them. Most he converted back, with passsenger seat, crash bars removed, whip antenna gone, etc. Mine was still CHP set up and I like it that way. The electricals were put back to stock and I think that's important. I don't need the extra battery but want the storage. The switches are all wrong as CHP - some don't work, some do other things, etc. Hey, what do they need a horn for? So I paid the $ to have that work done. Well worth it.

No mechanical problems at all. Mine was from Norther CA which means wide open spaces and lots of mileage in a shorter period of time. That's why mine was an '02 with 60k and warranty left. I also think that's easier on the motor than So Cal freeways.

I was able to look at, but not take, the service records. Nothing unusual except for the TO's complaint that acceleration seemed poor "esp. above 100 mph." The service writer wrote back that he should put the windshield in the lower position to improve accel. (He's right.)

Yes, they ride them hard when the situation depends on it, but they also know their lives depend on the reliability and proper function of the machine. My understanding is that they take them home at night; nobody else rides them.

And where else can you get a perfectly maintained BMW for that price? That's what did it for me.

Check the link in my sig...

I bought a 2001 CHP...found the service record in one saddle bag. I did not see the complete service records. frown.gif Mine was So Cal (service in San Diego), 60K. Has been quite solid so far (~62K miles now). I've partially figured out the electrical (they didn't so much remove it as cut off many parts of it), but each bike seems to be unique.

Mine was part of the buy-back, so was probably refitted for civilian life as part of a batch. Buying a one-off from a particular department gives you much better chance of getting "extras" with it. :D

Mine still has the radio box instead of a rear seat. Conversion kits are over $1,000. (Don't remember exactly, but they're pricey)

You sound like me late last winter...

Had my 2003 RT-P since late March, and bought it at the same place as "CelebrationRev". The few problems I have had are:

1) Horn button sticking on.

2) Clunking noise when hitting rear brake hard.

3) Clutch spline needing lube.

4) Slightly leaking right fork.

5) Turn signal occasionally malfunctioning.

All items have been addressed by dealer under warranty with no problems. My warranty expires this October.

I have no regrets (so far). Of material items I have purchased in my life, this has to be one of the most fun. Talk about a blast going to work!

-Steve P

i bought a 2000 rt-p in april,and this thing puts my old harley to shame,mine was converted with the back seat,but i still got the radio box,rear crash bars and antenna,was told that you can't use the crash bars with the back seat option but with a little precision grinding on the bag brackets they fit just fine,then you need to cut a key real short and stick it in the seat lock,and just leave it,it won't fall out.rt-p's are also fitted with run flat tires.mine still has them but they will be replaced before next season,just don't know yet what i'm gonna put on.they also have 2 power ports,one on the dash and one right in front of the lift handle on the left side,i set mine up with a cargo box for a 4-wheeler and added my old backrest pad off my flt harley,i then used a lumbar support bag from a ford van seat and added it to the front of the box,i used the back power outlet for the lumbar pump,so if my back starts aching i just reach around on the front of the box and pump it up,it's a godsend for me.if i had the money i'd buy another rt-p in a heartbeat.

Archived