IGNORED

advice on keeping my radar unit on the shelf

RPG

Recently installed an RCU shelf on my 1150RT, and then used my BEL 945 detector for about a month. Worked great, no tickets.

I installed 3M snap lock fasteners. (Sort of like velcro but actually locks down when connecting). Wouldn't you know it, about a week ago, I'm on the freeway and I can see the radar unit sort of getting loose and then before you know it, she's gone over my shoulder, and smashed into a bizillion pieces.

Anyone have a better system using the RCU shelf to keep this from happening again? Like maybe a strap over the unit coupled with velcro/3M?

btw, I bought a new 946 BEL detector and would like to use it.

thanks much,

RPG

Are you referring to the Duo-lock strips by 3m? Those are the heavy duty strips that have plastic stems that lock onto themselves. The only way I could see they would detatch id you had too much unsprung weight vibrating until it pulled it apart (like if you only had 1/2 the unit attached and the other half hanging over the shelf). I have found that if you use the hard duo-lock with the soft, fuzzy side of velcro you almost need a prybar to seperate them..the fuzzy stuff gets really tangled in the plastic stems. I don't simply press it on. If you set it on and then slightly move it fore-aft and side to side while pressing down it engages the most material. Oh, clean the hard surfaces with alcohol..(rubbing) before sticking them on.

yeah Murf, it's the Duo-Lock stuff. I was leaving a BB King concert and didn't attach the unit correctly. About 1/2 way like you indicated. My fault totally. Was just wondering if some guys also used a strap/rubberband to go over the unit just in case.

I like the Duo-Lock as I can quickly detach the unit for security. Velcro worked too but made it a little harder to remove and over time, the velcro would have to be replaced due to wear of the fabric.

thanks,

rpg

I use the duo-lock strips, not the small round ones (like on the headlight protectors). My radar detector (Cobra 9850) has close to 100K miles on my bike and has never come loose. As a matter of fact, it takes a lot of force to remove it.

The one time I mounted it and then removed it after a few minutes it seems the glue hadn't quite set up. What has worked best for me is: join two strips together and peel and stick one adhesive side to the radar detector, peel and stick the radar detector to the clean shelf, now don't touch it until the following day.

You could use two strips on the detector, but it would probably be difficult to removed when you wanted to.

On my 1150rt, I just changed to the BMR shelf with a Valentine One and security cover. That detector isn't going anywhere.

Well, you could attach it like I saw someone do a while back. At the time I was with one of the larger companies that made inverters. A customer had bought one of our 300 Watt inverters (an aluminum housing about 8" x 5" x 1-1/2" thick), and he mounted the thing by drilling a honking big 1/2" hole smack through the center of the inverter. Yup. Right through the PCB and a few ICs and other electronic parts too. Then he had the gall to send it to us to be repaired under warranty!

Bob.

The Duo-loc stuff should work fine. I'd recomment and additional tether connected so you have some "back up" incase you don't snap it down correctly (belt & suspenders)

good advice guys. the Engineer in me should be able to come up with some sort of tether/cover as indicated.

thanks much, want to have a good time at the RA Rally next month.

see you there,

rpg

I installed the Hoon case around my V1. It's permanently mounted and wired. The sound goes into the Audiocom so I don't need to look at the unit unless I want to check the direction.

I use two small bungees. Pull the bungee band thru the hook loop and knot the band until the tension is good. Wrap one east/west the other north/south (hooks are a lot easier to use with gloves than threading a buckle). I use the V1 in the car most of the time - so it's on/off the bike. This is a dirty effective way of keeping it on with an easy off aspect. Cheap and works for me.

Archived