IGNORED

Gas Mileage

litigator

After getting 42mpg average on my R1100RT, I got an 1150, had surging, got a Techlusion, and now the best I get is 35mpg. Is that to be expected?

My daily commute (London to Oxford) is 120 miles round trip. Approximately 80% of the journey is in 6th at speeds of 75 - 85 mph and I consistently average 52 - 53 mpg. Keeping it down to 75 mph max I can eke it out to 55 mpg.

After getting 42mpg average on my R1100RT, I got an 1150, had surging, got a Techlusion, and now the best I get is 35mpg. Is that to be expected?
Everybody seem to be ignoring the point of this post - he just got a Techlusion, he knows what the mpg was without it.

I don't know about the Techlusion box but my experience with a Power Commander on an 02 VFR was a considerable drop in fuel economy over the stock bike. I realize that these are vastly different bikes but I have been lead to believe that these types of devices will often increase performance but at a cost in fuel economy. I have been told that this is due to the fact that most of them richen up the bike but I really don't have the knowledge to know if this is what is happening. I do know in my case the VFR dropped from an average of about 40 mpg to something in the mid 30's.

That's about what I get but I don't have a techlusion installed. I have a bbpower chip. On trips I get about 42-43. My commute includes a lot of stop and go city traffic so I think 35-40 is pretty good.

The Techlusion works specifically by enriching the fuel mixture by lengthening the time of the fuel pulse. So a reduction of mileage is unavoidable. 35MPG with one, depending upon how it is set, seems within the range of what one might expect.

The Techlusion works specifically by enriching the fuel mixture by lengthening the time of the fuel pulse. So a reduction of mileage is unavoidable. 35MPG with one, depending upon how it is set, seems within the range of what one might expect.

I would agree that your 35 mpg isn't out of line with what I have read concerning the techlusion. You should be able to make minute adjustments and increase mileage to 38\40 and still be happy.

My 04Roadster gets 48.12mpg w/ a Techlusion R259 and no CCP. I don't baby it...I ride in the 3000~5000rpm range. I like to accell 'briskly' from stops, but I don't burn rubber.

If I'm doing 60mph or over w/ little traffic on a relatively straight road, I'm in 6th gear as much as possible. With no Cat, the bike is very smooth.

FWIW, my Techlusion settings are WAY down from 'recommended'.

I'm one of those strange ones that has a tall windscreen and rides with it full up, (I'm tall). I get high 30's, but assumed the oversize windscreen, full up has something to do with the higher fuel consumption.

Alan,

Are you allowing for your gallon being well over 4 litres while the US gallon is just on 4 litres?

We are divided by a common language and a complicated measure of units smile.gif

Oh, the RT (60000km) always got 5.3 l/100km until I had my rusted exhaust internals replaced with a nice mellow "straight through" pipe - now get around 5.6 l/100km.

Welcome to the board BTW.

Clive

Goeie middag. Ek het in Kaapstad fir 5 jaar gebly, en my Afrikaans is baaie vrot.

I think you are right about the US / Imperial gallon measurement. Making the conversion it works out at 43 miles per US gallon, which is pretty much what most folk have been quoting. Still, 55 sounds better.

My R1100RT was averaging 45, but had surging problems. I tried the Techlusion, mileage dropped to the 38-40 range. I was never fully satisfied with the Techlusion, so I dual sparked the heads with the SJBMW kit and removed the Techlusion. Mileage went back up to an average 45 with occasional gusts to 49 and surging is gone.

Consistent 44 MPG regardless of riding or road conditions. That's 100 miles/day round trip commuting in Los Angeles usually at (shhh!) speeds of 70 MPH or more, and I haven't sync'ed the throttle bodies in over 10k miles...

Oh yeah, no Techillusion (sp? grin.gif) fitted either tongue.gif

Archived