IGNORED

First Time Touring 2 up - Kit Experiences

BitScribbler

I recently went on my very first touring holiday by bike, with my wife on the back. My R12ST came pre-loaded with the BMW panniers (bags) and small top-box, but I added some extra kit to help with the ride. I thought somebody out there might be vaguely interested, so here goes...

(Needless to say, I have no associations with any of the manufacturers.)

Autocom Smart-7

A fantastic piece of kit! I know it's one of the more expensive intercoms, but honestly I was very pleased with it's performance. Conversation up to 80mph is easy, if you have the right helmets... see below. Being able to talk easily just made the whole trip far better.

Garmin Quest

I had the Quest mounted on the tank, using a mixture of the Garmin and BMW kits, and connected to the Autocom. It worked a treat, taking us straight to hotels, through big towns etc. Originally I'd thought I could manage without the voice prompts, but I wouldn't be without it now, because it allows you to concentrate on the road much better, only glancing at the screen when really necessary.

BMW Small Tank Bag

My wife said we had enough luggage space, but on packing she suddenly appeared with a few more "essentials" (reading matter, camera etc.) that she'd forgotten about. "No problem my love, I have it in hand". The tank bag was great for the overflow, plus documents etc. It had to be the small one due to the GPS mounting position. I admit though that re-fuelling is a real pain, and having to remove the bag when leaving the bike for security was also tedious.

Helmets

I had an Airoh flip-up, which didn't take the Autocom headset very well, so at the last minute I decided to replace it. I'd originally expected to get a System-5, possibly with Bluetooth instead of Autocom, but it turned out I don't have a System-5 head. I decided to manage without a flip-up because I now use contact lenses rather than spectacles for riding, and bought a Sport Integral. Wow! It's massively quieter, without ear-plugs, than my old helmet was with ear-plugs. Of course, it took the Autocom headset comfortably too. I could easily hear my wife upto and beyond 80mph. Sadly, she couldn't hear me at these speeds though, in her HJC full-face helmet. We're off to the dealer this week to get her a matching Sport Integral...

Vacuum Packing

I don't know the correct names for these, but basically my wife went to a camping shop and bought some amazing tough plastic bags into which you place all your clothes, and then seal them up and sit on them to expel all the air through one-way valves. Hey presto! Vacuum-packed clothes that take up much less space! Very useful for the dirty stuff too, until you open them again anyway. eek.gif

Archived