IGNORED

Helmet Security Question

Motorrad4fun

Do you Leave your Helmet just Sitting on your bike  

297 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok, here is a question that has been on my mind for about a Year now (same time I have owned my K1200GT)

Were do you secure the helmet? I have not seen a helmet lock on the bike, and do to having a XL Helmet is will not fit in the side case.

On my recent trip I ran into a situation that forced me to lug my helmet with me all day as I had no “good” place to put it.

Around home I Usually just put it on the side bag and it is just fine, for short runs into the store ect….

Any info would be great

Thanks,

Stefan

Stephan:

When on a ride and the bags are full, I use a small cable and lock through the chin-guard. I can even loop it through the arm of my jacket if I want to lock that too. One of my riding biddies has a small lock with an integral, retractable cable designed for skis.

We used to use cable to lock up our aerostitch and my husbands helmet until they all got stolen about 6 months ago. Thieves cut the cable and had all in a matter of seconds. The only helmet they didn't get was mine because it was locked to GS helmet lock. Since then if they don't fit in bags or trunk they get carried along. Never leave them just sitting on bike. What a hassle it was to get another helmet so we could get home. Ended up buying a novelty type for $40 that now hangs in the garage as a reminder. bncry.gif

I wouldn't leave mine on the bike in the city all day but I've left it sitting on the bars for hours all over the country at national parks etc without a problem. Of course it's just a plain white helmet and perhaps not attractive to the looting types. It would be easy to get a small cable lock and as this thread shows you can't stop the really determined thief anyway unless you lug it around. I won't do that, I won't let the dishonest dictate the way I live.

Here's one of the locks from the Helmet Guardian mounted to a piece of aluminum bar stock which is secured to my luggage rack. Here's a pretty clear pic of the mount.

7100912-M.jpg

We didn't like the "behind the license plate frame" mounting shown in the HG link. The weight of the helmet caused the rear fender to bend.

Here are the two locks mounted on Jamie's Top of the Line Rack. He also still has the original mounting like mine.

7100916-M.jpg

I have been using the behind the license plate duo locks and love them. The fender does bend slightly under the load of two helmits but it is pliable and returns to original shape. they can also be removed from the plate and placed somewhere else if desired. I previously had one that had a cable that pulled out from a combination lock housing but it malfunctioned on a ride and I had to cut it off using a multitool. I was surprised how easy it cut and especially if one had the right tool.

tongue.gif

D

ShovelStrokeEd

I just wrap the non-D-ring strap of my Shoei, it has a button on it, under and around the handle of my saddle bag. As has already been stated, you ain't stopping anybody who really wants it anyway, why haul the pesky thing around.

If helmet is stolen, call police, obtain a copy of the report and continue riding till you find a source for another helmet.

Blue Beemer Dude

Here's another idea... Click here and scroll down to "Lid Locker". I'm too cheap to buy this, so I made my own. Upside, it doesn't look like you've got everything locked up in a totally paranoid manner. Downside, it's a little difficult to use, and it has occurred to me that if someone tries to take your helment, finds out that it's attached to the bike, they may tug on it some more, pulling the bike over on it's side before they give up.

But, hey, it's a clever idea.

Michael

I need a third option, I lock the helmet in my 48 litre topcase or carry it with me when parked in town. In areas that are quieter or feel safer to me, I just clip the chin-strap around the rack mount on the bike.

Always a bit of a worry though, I do not have the option of riding without a helmet, whatever the circumstances.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

I have a Nolan N100e Flip Helmet, I bought a $4.00 long shank lock at Wal-Mart, and carry it on the rear rack of my RT, I lock it through the adjustment strap on the helmet, works fine, still have the helmet. ooo.gif

It depends. Sometimes I leave it on the bike - in a restaurant parking lot, at a state park, at my favorite hangout in Suches - TWO, or parked in Helen, GA. Other times, I bring it with me - at the gym, doing errands around town, etc. Basically, I would say I leave it on the bike when I'm away from the city. Never have had a problem - knock on wood.

I bought a guardian, but before that I locked the buckle in the side case. I have hauled it around before, but that's such a pain. Shorter stops, like restaurants, generally just hang it on the handle bar, but that could change depending on the location.

I keep a Lid-Locker under my seat. It's kind of a pain to use, but if it *needs* to be more secure it works. I should get a second one someday...

I usually keep my helmet in the sidecase, but will leave it on the seat or on the right handlebar for short times. My helmet's plain gray, so not that noticable...

Later,

jan

If helmet is stolen, call police, obtain a copy of the report and continue riding till you find a source for another helmet.

Except in Canada where you are not permitted to ride without wearing a helmet. The fact that it was stolen probably won't get you out of a ticket.

Helmets are rarely stolen from bikes here. I mostly leave the helmet unsecured on the bike for all the short term parking. When bikes are parked in large groups, like on a group ride, almost everyone leaves them on the bike.

I loop the straps through the luggage rack and secure. It appers locked, but if someone wants it bad enough that will get it no matter what. Atleast I try to make it apper secure. That might all change when I fly to europe just to buy a system 5 helmet dopeslap.gif LOL

TownsendsFJR1300

I made a bracket out of aluminum that attaches to the right side of the frame. It allows you to bolt up a BMW lock(that you can get re-keyed to fit your ignition). Tucks in nicely, looks stock, very secure as well. I manufacture and sell them for $23.00 shipped (locks not included). For further information please e-mail me direct at TownsendsFJR1300@AOL.com for pictures, further information.

566744-BMWRT.thumb.jpg.62bfd0052a95876feb441162e8ea3bcf.jpg

I have been useing a Helmet Guardian, license plate frame mounting. When replaceing my plate I found the frame to be cracked in two places. Took it off.I no longer use it. If you use the Helmet Guardian mount it like Les said. The RT does have a place to lock the helmet. Under the rear seat is two places to attach a cable. I'm sure BMW sells a BMW item at much higher price.

Also I know if someone wants it they'll get it. So I only leave mine on the bike for short stops. Other then that it goes with me.

Most of the time, I just leave the helmet between the bars, resting against the dash. That seems secure enough -- much better than leaving it, e.g., on the seat. If I'm concerned about theft or kids or will be leaving it for a while, I keep a thin cable and small lock in my glove box. Loop it around the top triple tree through the helmet and I'm 99% sure it will be there when I get back. But if I need to be certain, I carry it with me.

Stefan

On my '04 KRS there is a small hook of a helmet lock just above the seat lock and cast into the luggage rack assembly. You have to remove the seat to access it and probably need a d-ring extender to use it, but it does work.

Bruce C cool.gif

Because my helmet seems to have an unusually strong gravitational attraction to the earth, I always at least hang it on my license plate mounted locks (I forget the brand name for these, they came with the bike). If I'm going to be inside for lunch or something, I'll lock the lock. But c'mon, it's secured by easily-removed license plate bolts, and to a plastic fender at that. If I'll be gone longer, or farther from the bike, I'll either take it with me (usually preferred due to weather reasons) or lock it to the bike with a hefty cable lock through the eyeport. My bags are usually too full of other stuff to put the helmet in there (Be Prepared!) I will not leave it on the bike overnight under any circumstances.

AdventurePoser
... But if I need to be certain, I carry it with me...

Food for thought here...carrying your helmet with you sends a strong signal that your bike is out there, unattended.

If you ride to public events, such as movie theaters, I'd recommend the locking cable,or putting the helmet in the luggage.

Just a thought.

Steve

Most of the time if it's not going to rain I hang it on the right side peg and lock the D-rings to the brake lever with a small lock I carry in my pocket. Other times I use a $10 samsonite cable lock and hang it on the mirror.

I have a top box that will hold my XL helmet. But on those occasions where the top box is full, I put the helmet strap between the two halves of one of the cases and close the case on it. The buckle on the end of the strap will not pull out between the halves easily. If someone is determined they will take it no matter what.

pACE2-988800reg.jpg

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1291505

Bell 3' Chain & Combination Lock (109501)

Item no: 87936

Our Price:

$3.29

4 digit combination

Anti scratch vinyl covered chain

Assorted colors: red, blue & black

Chrome plated

Bagged

Just enough to slow thieves down or make them look elsewhere... Vinyl bag it comes it works great for storage. Works well on both our full-face helmets...

Eric

Not to abuse a good thing, but the next time you are stopped by LEO, ask them if they have any gun locks on hand. These are generic padlocks with a 12 inch plastic coated steel cable that works great to lock your helmet.

I happened into my local sheriffs office and he told me to take all I want, they couldn't give them away.

Me I can't afford to have someone take my helmet so it get's locked all the time.

Happy Ridin' thumbsup.gif

On my R1200RT I bought a ZTechnik license plate holder with 2 helmet locks. Add a D-ring extender and Voila! Quick and handy. However, don't leave the helmet bottom side up in a rain storm like I did in Lima.

Archived