IGNORED

maintenance of My 2001RT

mipa22

I am getting dicouraged everytime I bring my bike in for the recommended service(every 6000mi). It is costing me a fortune. every 5 to 6 months it is costing me 600 or more. Is this normal. I Love ridding my RT But I am feeling that It may be to expensive. I have ridden almost everyday since moving to california back in 98. This is the first time I have owned a BMW(2yrs now). I have spent about 3500 in maintenance. Is this standarded. Any words of wisdom is greatly appreciated. confused.gif

As noted, spend some time attending a Tech Daze and you will learn all you need to know to work on your bike. The skill level of those that participate on this site is absolutely amazing. They have forgotten more than I know.

Do yourself a favor and learn to Do It Yourself! It's not that hard. Many are willing to share their knowledge and time to teach, if you want to learn.

Happy Ridin' thumbsup.gif

Mipa22,

Welcome to the board. I live in Roseville, Ca and I would be willing to do a one on one with you and help you with your service.

This board has taught me and now I'm passing it on. I've hosted a few Tech Daze and the people just keep showing up!! grin.gif GO FIGURE.

I'm willing to teach and who knows, we might invite a few friends to join in the fun.

PM me and I'll give you my phone # and maybe we can hook up real soon.

Bill

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon. I live in Sonoma, and can offer the same as RT4Me. Or maybe I'll just join you at his place.

The routine stuff is pretty simple. Adjusting the valves, a throttle body sync, and oil/filter should take no more than a long morning to learn, and after a few times it can be done in less than two hours. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to do it either.

Ditto what everyone else said. I'm up in the gold country east of Angels Camp.

In fact, I have my bike all apart right now for everything you can name. Stop in and take a look at the innards, takes all the mystery out of it. thumbsup.gif

Archived