IGNORED

Mapsource 6.8 files need recalc after download to Quest

Bill Dennes

Routes that I generate with Mapsource 6.8 and download to my Quest have been showing up on the Quest with unreasonably long drive time estimates. Those estimates are always longer than the drive time estimates in Mapsource.

If I ask the Quest to recalculate the route, it produces good drive time estimates.

There is no mention of this matter in the Mapsource 6.9 updates list.

Amybody else been experiencing this?

Anybody else been experiencing this?
Yes I almost always have to do a recalculate on our Quest. If I don't it doesn't match up all the roads exsactly.

It's not Mapsource, it's the version of the map database. Garmin support told me that if you had the City Select 7 database on your PC, you would be fine. Which map database and version are you using (.eg Citynav 7.0 or Cityselect 6.0)? confused.gif

Garmin support told me that if you had the City Select 7 database on your PC, you would be fine.

Cool, sounds like free upgrades all around -- kind of like Garmin's version of the servo brakes.

I had a similiar problem, but managed to solve it while waiting (some 35+ minutes) on hold for Garmin smirk.gif Check your mapsource PC program for the version of maps that you are using, it must match the version that you have loaded in the Quest. To find the version in Mapsource, open the program, then look at the title bar along the top of the screen. Just to the left of the zoom in/out controls is the box that tells you what version of the maps that you are using to view/route.

I found this after I had upgraded from City Select NA 6.0 to 7.0 - and had uploaded the new mapset to the Quest. I didn't realize that I had to tell the PC software that I was using the upgraded version of the maps.

After changing the PC software to the same version as the Quest is using, the error messages regarding recalculating has disappeared.

clap.gif

Alas, you had my hopes up, but both my MapSource program and the GPS itself have City Select v6. And sometimes I still have to do a re-calculate on the Quest to get the newly upload routes 100% on the roads. Oh well, not like it's the end of the world I'd accidentally run off of or anything!

Yep, my PC has CitySelect 6.0 maps. That's what was distributed with the Quest that I bought new.

Seems odd that these maps would have worked correctly (Honest, I didn't used to have to recalc after downloads.) and now no longer work. frown.gif

Sounds like it's a problem with Mapsource 6.8 and newer.

This has older versions of Mapsource (from 6.7 back to 3.03) available for download. I would suggest going back to 6.7 and see if it works ... keep going back a version until it does.

I also have a problem with my Quest using the latest software (3.5).

I have both a GPSMAP60C and a Quest both using City Select V7. When auto-routing shortest distance with avoid unpaved roads selected the 60C properly avoids unpaved roads and the Quest tries to take me down the nearest dirt road. Am I missing something? or is there just a Quest software glitch.

Very cool, I like the 2610 style slider bars for setting road preferences for routing as well.

PS, I just got my City Nav 7 NT DVD from Garmin. Garmin told me that it wasn't available, but TVNAV gave me the part number and I called them back and give them the part number and it arrived last night. $15 plus shipping to have a matching copy of the NT database on your PC for the folks with an 'NT' model GPS.

For reference, for the 2720, the part number for City Nav 7.0 NT is 01101325-00.

I just got my City Nav 7 NT DVD from Garmin.

Question ... can you select maps on the desktop? My guess would be no, but I'm interested in how they're handling that.

It's still necessary to do a recalc after selecting a downloaded route to navigate. Drive times seem as much as double the truth.

Recalculating does NOT correct the errors in the downloaded route. The next time it is selected for navigation, it shows the absurd estimates again and must be recalculated yet again.

???

No changes were made to speeds in Preferences on either end.

frown.gif

...Version 3.5 of Quest microcode. I tried different versions of MapSource with the same results and finally looked at the install date of 3.5 in my Quest.

Duh! dopeslap.gif

I reinstalled the 3.4 update for the Quest and the problem is no more. clap.gif

I'll be emailing Garmin to apologize for vilifying MapSource and to start vilifying the Quest 3.5 update.

Archived