IGNORED

Helmet Idea

rrrich

Having suffered through another summer of sweat ball head I wonder why none of the helmet mfgrs have come up with a bicycle style open lattice helmet.

They'd proly sell like hotcakes south of the MasonDixon in the occupation states and might even be cool enough to seduce some of the "I ain't wearing no sissy helemt" crowd in free states to protect their noggin.

So tech crowd, how come it hasn't happened?

Dave McReynolds

I would certainly be up for trying it, but I wonder if there would be a lot more wind noise through open spaces? There are a lot of lightweight helmets for sale in Europe that aren't offered for sale in the US, and I presume that's because the lightweight helmets won't pass DOT? I've also read that no flip face helmets will pass SNELL? If these two things are true, then I would guess it would be hard for an open lattice helmet to pass DOT or SNELL also.

How about one snell approved, with excellent air flow, and quiet enough so you don't go deaf without earplugs.

It's noisey even with earplugs in my HJC full face.

Having suffered through another summer of sweat ball head I wonder why none of the helmet mfgrs have come up with a bicycle style open lattice helmet.

Probably because a helmet is meant to protect you from flying insects and drops of water, too. smile.gif

I would really,really like to get a BMW System 4 or 5.The helmets are not approved in Canada or the U.S.

So,therefore one would not be covered by any insurance here?

Has that question ever come up?

I assume that any vent like on a bicycle hellmet would cause the helmet to fail the DOT penetration test.

I can also see how it would be hard to regulate your head temperature with such a helmet- dry heat would roast your head, wet heat and the helmet would do nothing, and pouring water on your head then riding would give you a headache from the temperature drop.

But yeah, maybe venting could be improved a bit for a helmet designed for warm weather only- not rain because it would leak through all the vents.

OK, good points about rain and bugs. I'll bet we could performance spec out the perfect lid sitting round a table over a couple beers. One for hot-dry and one for hot-wet. I'm sure BMW's AirFlow (thanks for the site) works but it looks so eurogoofey it'd never sell to the "ain't wearin' no sissy helmet" crowd.

Just so there's no offence, I like a lot of eurogoofey design. Think Ducati, or Smart Cars or topless beaches. thumbsup.gif

as a cyclist who wears a giro bike helmet i've often wondered why moto helmets were not as ventilated. assumed it was safety, but i've crashed going quite fast (and slow) while racing. helmet destroyed and head ok. they crush, crack and otherwise get destroyed but protect the noggin.

celebrationrev

I also cycle a lot - 150+ miles a week, never w/o my helmet. The ventillation works! A simple solution for rain would be a cover, something like a hair net only waterproof (Gortex?). Bicycle helmets used to have them, but nobody except the crazy ride a road bike in the rain.

A vented full face would indeed look goofy. But then so do black leather vests w/no shirt on 289 pound men, IMHO. Ten hours across Kansas in August heat convinced me that goofy looking is a price worth paying.

Just so there's no offence, I like a lot of eurogoofey design. ..... or topless beaches. thumbsup.gif

I can assure you that a beachfull isn't always that pleasant ..... indeed sometimes 'orrible!

You can thank the ambulance chasers for that. BMW is not interested in being involved in a lawsuit because some schmuck didn't put the helmet on properly or whatever, and is in "pain" . The helmets in Europe pass far more stringent tests than DOT or SNELL put them through.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a system 5 or the Enduro helmet too! grin.gif

Jerry thanks. I'm going to read this when I have a little time. Education is usually expensive and I'm sure it's going to make we want to spend a lot more on my next helmet bncry.gif

Jerry Johnston
.... I'm sure it's going to make me want to spend a lot more on my next helmet

I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised.

Archived