IGNORED

Techlusion R259

1fastjunebug

I know that someone has previously posted "ideal" vm settings for the Techlusion R259 on a R1100RT but can not seem to be able to find them. Any and all advice on what one would consider ideal settings for this bike - at sea level - would be greatly appreciated. This is the "closed loop" module whereby the O2 sensor is kept "in the loop".

I just put one on an R1150RT a couple of months ago. I used the settings that came with the unit which seemed to work just fine. Be aware, that the units as they come out of the box are not preset!! The most direct way to find the settings for your 1100 RT is to call the techs at Dobeck Performance, after all, they manufacture the Techlusion units, R259 and all. I called them and explained that I had a Stayintune exhaust and K&N filter and they still gave me the same settings as contained in the installation instructions. Dobeck performance 877-764-3337.<<Softtail>> grin.gif

Thanks for the info softail. However, what I am specifically looking for are working settings as determined by a DVM that someone has found to be ideal for a R1100RT at sea level - even specific clock positions of the pots would be of assistance. It is my understanding that 1150's will differ from 1100's as will GS's differ from RT's. Failing to find the above, I will clock each pot as per instructions and your suggestion and work from there.

Here are my actual settings (yes, I'm at sea level): RED-5:30 GREEN-2:00 CRUISE-9:00 YELLOW-3:30

That is on a 98 RT. Results: NO burpy backfiring at all. No surging at any speed/rpm at all. In the 5000 rpm + - range the bike launches like a crotch rocket when gunned. Uses a little more gas than it did before. Good Luck with yours.

From what I have heard/seen I would say yes. These bikes are set up to run very leeeeean. All that the Techlusion unit does is creat a richer mixture at different levels. Richer = more fuel,,,,more fuel into the engine = less fuel in the tank and on the gauge. It's just like everything else in life..you trade one benefit over another. smirk.gif

A few observations on the Techlusion R259. The clock settings are useless, you absolutely have to have a DVM. Prior to instalation, I set the pots using the recommended clock positions. After I installed the unit I checked the pots with the DVM and they were not even in the ball park. Further, the slightest change on the little screw for each pot makes major voltage changes. Lastly, from what I have seen in this discussion and on Dobeck's forum, there are wild ass differences between what folks feel are their ideal settings!!<<Softail>> dopeslap.gif

Thanks for the info guys. Really do appreciate it. However, won't be able to put the info to use for the foreseeable future due to Hurrican Rita bearing down on us. Looks like it will be a bad one. Signing off for now. Thanks again for the info.

• 4 weeks later...

Got through Rita just fine but did not have a chance to install Techlusion until a week ago and rode only to see if everything worked.

Had an opportunity to ride for 100+ miles last weekend and I'll have to say the addition of this device is definitely an improvement - even at stock recommended settings. Well worth the bucks. Now that it's installed, will pull out the DVM and play with it to see if I can get it any better. Still have a little surge at 2800rpm but MUCHO MOY BETTER than stock!!!! Did I say well worth the bucks?!?!?!? The RT has never been better - think I'll keep it for a while until BMW decides to get rid of the servo assited, linked brakes all together. If not, I'll ride the wheels off this R1100 with a smile on my face. Thanks to all for the help.

Question for all who replied here ... was everyone trying to cure "surge", or were you looking to improve some other performance issues?

I have an '04 RT, so I do not experience surge, but I believe the "lean" running in the powerband (4-6000rpm) robs me of power. Both the Techlusion and the recently available Power Commander ($500!!), appear to solve this issue as well.

I'm really looking to see if anyone has found that the Techlusion has improved smoothness, power delivery, etc.

I rode a R1200RT last week for about 275 miles and it was so smooth. However, I'm not ready to trade up. I like my '04 and just want to see if I can improve it a little. I've adjusted the valves and synch'd the TBs ad nauseum, so I'm looking to see if one more investment is worth it in the Techclusion. Thx!

Steve,

I installed a 259 on my 04RT a few weeks ago. Noticed an improvement in the powerband low and midrange and a much "crisper" throttle response. Worth it for the $100 (military price) I paid.

Larry

My 2000 R1100RT has been a "surger" from day one. I have gone round and round with dealers in three states trying to get a fix to no avail. Did not do the zero.zero adjustment but did do neurotic valve adjustments, TB syncs, Autolite plug swap and the beast still surged. Finally broke down and bought the Techlusion 259, installed at stock recommended settings and noticed an immediate improvement in reducing the surging - almost non existent. The operative word is "almost". Still have a tad at about 2800 but NOTHING like before. Have also noticed that the bike accelerates much harder and throttle response is much crisper with an associated decrease in fuel economy -which was expected. This is a new bike and a pleasure to ride. Previously, in the 2600-3200 range it was a bucking bronco at low speeds. Have also noticed that at most rpms, the throttle modulation is much, much better. Can't wait till this weekend where I can pull out the DVM and "dial this puppy in"! Have GS air tubes (plastic air induction tubes between the air box and the Throttle Body) on my RS but that bike is cammed differently, carries less weight, and has a different tranny than the RT so don't know just how much better it would run with the GS tubes. Might swap them over one day and give it a try but the way the RT runs right now is more than acceptable and will probably get even better once I get a handle on where the settings really are as shown by the DVM - then adjust accordingly.

I've had others suggest the GS tubes. I may try that as well, as it's relatively inexpensive.

So what's this "DVM"? I thought the main selling point of the Techlusion was that you don't have to adjust it.

I've had others suggest the GS tubes. I may try that as well, as it's relatively inexpensive.

So what's this "DVM"? I thought the main selling point of the Techlusion was that you don't have to adjust it.

Nope...one of the main selling points of Techlusion is that it IS adjustable. Kinda like electronic rejetting...only easier.

It can be set/tweaked to accomodate a wide range of exhaust combos, or used to reduce or eliminate the effects of a lean fuel map.

For the R259, you really need a digital volt meter ('DVM') to set the pots accurately, whenever you change settings.

• 2 weeks later...
Steve,

I installed a 259 on my 04RT a few weeks ago. Noticed an improvement in the powerband low and midrange and a much "crisper" throttle response. Worth it for the $100 (military price) I paid.

Larry

What is this Military Price you speak of, and where can I get one for $100?

All you need to do is call up dobeck performance (dobeckperformance.com). Speak to the lady who does the ordering.. can't remember her name right now. Anyway, tell her you're military. She'll tell you the all the fuel controllers are $100. It'll be about $110 to your door I think. Good luck!

Archived