IGNORED

Tricks to checking Brake Pads?

rrrich

What's the easiest way to check pad wear? I can't get my eye lined up with the view port to check fronts or backs.

I know there's gotta be a slick way that'll seem obvious as soon as someones sez, "do it like this...".

Thanks.

My good friend uses a small flashlight and a mirror..He has an 1100RT and I did it on my K75 also...Takes a little moving around and a learning curve to do it....Rear brake try getting right behind the wheel with it on the center stand or snuggle up next to the side looking backwards into the mirror...Front pads are pretty easy to eyeball.....Let us know how you do....

Phil........Redbrick

Rich...if your not comfortable with a glancing check, it's just two bolts that hold the caliper on. Remove them and have a good look up close and personal...to be sure.

Do it like this: insert an allen key as big as or slightly bigger than your target dimension. Apply the brakes slowly and make sure the alignment of your key is not giving you a bad reading (i.e., the facet of the key is parallel to the plane of the brake rotor). If you can fully apply your brakes and pull the allen key out with no drag, your pads are thicker than your key.

It's not a perfect method, but it's pretty good for finding out if its worth pulling the calipers. Personally, I have no trouble eyeballing the fronts once the fender's removed.

What's the easiest way to check pad wear? I can't get my eye lined up with the view port to check fronts or backs.

I know there's gotta be a slick way that'll seem obvious as soon as someones sez, "do it like this...".

Thanks.

Use a small mirror and a small flashlight (use the mirror to reflect both your view and the light).

Bob.

If they are the same as for the R1150RT it is as follows:

For the front: turn the front wheel all the way to one side and look down at the top of the pads inside the calipers. If you see the ends of 1-3 little grooves cut from top-to-bottom in the pads, you're fine. If the grooves are gone it's time for new pads.

For the rear, (put the bike on the centerstand) look at the rear caliper from the exhaust (port) side of the bike. You will see two holes in the backing plate of the port-side brake pad: one will be deeper than the thickness of the backing plate and the other one will be shallower--i.e. only as deep as the backing plate. Shine a light on the caliper and turn the rear wheel. If you see rotor going by in the deeper hole it's time for new rear pads.

Archived