IGNORED

Excessive Oil Consumption

DaJudge

My '96 K1100RS started using a great deal more oil in the past 1,500 miles. Friends riding behing report a lot of smoke, most noticibly when I let off from a hard acceleration. I'm told it's lighter in color than what you'd expect from too rich a mixture. Trying to decide if it's more likely valve guides or rings (or something else obvious I haven't thought of !). Any suggestions on a simple test to narrow down the problem?

THANKS confused.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

In general,

Smoke on acceleration is rings, smoke on trailing throttle is valve guides.

It may be as simple as a valve stem oil seal giving up the ghost. That can be repaired with the head on the bike.

Pull the plugs and see if its all one cylinder or spread across the gamut.

In general,

Smoke on acceleration is rings, smoke on trailing throttle is valve guides.

It may be as simple as a valve stem oil seal giving up the ghost. That can be repaired with the head on the bike.

Pull the plugs and see if its all one cylinder or spread across the gamut.

What Ed said...but is it really using that much more? Ed, can a failing valve guide seal let THAT much oil through? I really doubt doubt is rings though...smoke on decel=guides normally.

Shouldn't be too bad of a fix.

ShovelStrokeEd

The OP never mentioned, despite the title of his post, how much oil it used, just that it smoked.

One failing valve stem seal probably wouldn't effect consumption too much, all of them gone, or worn out guides could certainly do it. You would have a pretty bad smoker though.

Archived