IGNORED

Helmet Source

bayoubengal

Interested in a new a new Arai. Any recommendations for a good source?

Looking for reasonable prices (comparatively speaking) and solid customer service.

Arai frowns on internet sales, so for an up to date new model, pricing is pretty much uniform everywhere.

A helmet of this price and quality deserves to be tried before it's bought. Go to your local Arai dealer (your BMW dealer?), and after they spend the time to work with you on fitment, reward them by making the purchase there.

I've seen guys come in to the local shop and take an hour of a salesman's time, only to go buy the product somewhere else to save $15. When enough short sighted people do this, the dealer goes out of business, and then they have to spend double that just to hike to the next closest place. Buy local!

-MKL

Arai frowns on internet sales, so for an up to date new model, pricing is pretty much uniform everywhere.

I'm not sure this is true. Arai is strick with all their dealers and an internet dealer should have proof of being a registered Arai e-dealer. Costs do vary. Look for closeouts. I did well a year ago.

Many local dealers in my area have Arai helmets at MSRP. For an Arai helmet, that's over $80 over internet prices. I'd love my local shops to stay in business too, but not that bad.

Eddy-

Closeouts don't occur in up to date new models. However, if an older model is acceptable, then by all means....

As for the $80, I guess it's worth it to me to make absolutely sure my new $500 investment fits me well, since I'm going to be wearing it often for the next 5 years. I know a good deal of people who saved the $80 (often much less) only to complain of ill fitment since they didn't try it on first. And I just can't justify walking into an actual store and wasting everyone's time, knowing I'm not going to buy there...

-MKL

Danny caddyshack Noonan

These guys show up at races and, although I've never bought from them, I hear multiple stories of satisfaction.

Service Pavilion

Third button down on the left shows where they'll be and when. Greenville may be worth the drive.

These guys show up at races and, although I've never bought from them, I hear multiple stories of satisfaction.

Service Pavilion

Third button down on the left shows where they'll be and when. Greenville may be worth the drive.

+1 on Service Pavilion. They are about 75 miles from me so I can go to their shop. They are usually at the bike shows and race tracks. Unless they have changed their policy they will only sell on line if they have fitted you in person and have a file on you. They fit me with an Arai and I never knew just how well a helmet could fit. They also have great customer service.

Hutch, ride down to Daytona to The Helmet Shop. They will fit you and usually have what you want in stock. They have a very large selection of brands and styles. Their staff is friendly and knowledgable. Prices are pretty good also.

Service Pavillion is the bomb and teh expert when it comes to Arai.

Jamie bought her XD3 from them. They are the only one I would use for Arai. Fantastic service, knowledgeable, etc.

Can not give them enough praise!!!

+1 on Phil!

I've bought my last 4 from service pavillion. Usually go to the bike show and get measured. They know heads and arai!

Thanks for the input guys.

Moshe, in general I do try to by local when able. There is not a selection of Arai in my local area. I understand what you are saying about using one salesman's time and then going elsewhere to buy to save a dime. If that is done with intent, yes it's a foul. If the salesman failed to meet the need of the consumer, no harm no foul. While I try to buy local I won't overpay to do it. As an airline pilot I earn half what I used to before internet marketing. While that is not the sole reason, it is a significant one because with the net consumers will book another airline literally to save one dollar. Literally! I can't afford to overpay on my 50% paycheck to support others who choose another company over mine for peanuts.

I also have a challenge with one way loyalty. My first visit to one of the ATL dealers after I moved to GA (as a K12LT owner) I saw a sign about loyalty being a two way street. The only thing either ATl area dealer has ever offered me is to provide parts, service and bikes at full list price. My part of that loyalty is to pay full price. Have not figuered out what their part of it is yet. When I bought my RT I needed a 49L top case. I had no tie to either dealer. I called both dealers and asked them to sell me the case for 20% off list. In return, I would commit to using them for my scheduled services. They get something, a new customer, I get something, the case I needed at a price I could go on the net and buy it at anyway. Both dealers turned me down. Just for the record I am pretty much the demographic they seek.

Ed, good hearing from you. The bike is running like a charm and is somewhat different than when you last saw it. Next time you come up 75N give me call and I'll buy you breakfast.

I've purchased 5 helmets over the last 8 years, two of the helmets from my local dealer.

My most recent purhcase was an Shoei X-11, graphics that I purchased from Helmet Express for $300 delivered; dropped shipped from Helmet House, by the way. The exact same helmet offered locally is at least $500 and as high as $550.

I too like to support the local vendors. I purchased a Shoei Multitech from my local dealer last summer. A week later I was having fit problems and asked the dealer for a credit or a full out return. Instead they suggested different cheek pads, that I purchased. That helped, but did not completely solve the problem. The dealer would not take back the helmet, so I sold a 3 week old hemet at a $250 dollar loss.

Helmet Express sell Arai.

Another "local" option is the International Motorcycle Show. They stop over in New York City every January, and usually there is a good helmet vendor there, selling at excellent prices, who also can help with proper fitment. My wife bought her Arai at the New York show a few years ago for (much) less than MSRP as it was a closeout model and color, and has been in love with that helmet ever since. Here's a list of upcoming shows - http://www.motorcycleshows.com/ - I don't see one too close to GA, but then again that's just a good excuse for a nice, long ride!

-MKL

Archived